New Barrel Purchase

Looking to purchase a new barrel for my Sako A7 in 25-06. I bought the gun used and the original owner had it chopped down to 20" Im not looking to shoot at 1000 yds, I dont need to show the cool factor with a carbon wrapped barrel. Just something that will shoot decent and hold zero for the occasional 100-300 yard shot. I live in Canada so I am limited but im looking for everyones opinions on their " go to " after market barrel.

Wrench

WKR
Is yours cooked? A 20" rifle in .25 is still point and click at the ranges you listed.

madcalfe

WKR
if your barrel is still fine why not keep the 20"?
my 300wsm is a 20" and i don't think ill ever go back to longer barrels.

ibi barrels is a Canadian barrel company they seems to be making some good barrels
650$ for a fluted stainless or 850$ for a carbon

B23

WKR
Lots of very good barrel makers out there that'll serve you well. If you're in a hurry I'd say the first Bartlein, Krieger, Brux, Hart, Lilja, Benchmark, or PacNor barrel you can find in the contour, twist rate, and length you come across, buy it. Any of those top tier barrels will be great.

I agree with those who suggest keeping the 20" tube, especially if it's shooting well. As a matter of fact, I prefer shorter barrels on my hunting rifles.

If you really need a new barrel, I can recommend McGowen Precision Barrels. I sent them a Ruger 77RL to rebarrel in .260 Rem 8 twist this past spring, and very pleased with the way it came back. With less than 100 rounds through it, it is showing some real promise. It's consistantly shooting 6s and 7s, and so far 3 groups under .25. Keep in mind this is a 20" ultra light contour not much thicker than a soda straw, and factory Barnes ammo. I haven't even started load development yet.

Cost was about $550 for the custom contour, excellent bluing and finish, installation and return shipping in a hard case. Turn around was quoted at 12 weeks. Actually took 15.

Sadler

WKR
Not sure if tikka and sako share the same thread pattern but McGowen has a tikka prefit 24” 25-06 barrel in stock right now.

BWB

FNG
Is the rifle not capable of 100-300 yard shots now? I have a few 20" barrels in various cartridges and you are not limiting yourself in any way with a 20" barrel.

OP
BraedenD93
Is yours cooked? A 20" rifle in .25 is still point and click at the ranges you listed.
Its not cooked yet I can probably get another 2-3 years out of it but Covid cancelled my hunting plans for the next year so I figured id put the money else where for the time being and have it ready for when I can start travelling again.

OP
BraedenD93
Is the rifle not capable of 100-300 yard shots now? I have a few 20" barrels in various cartridges and you are not limiting yourself in any way with a 20" barrel.
I love having the 20" I just know ill only be able to get another few years out of it and with Covid cancelling my hunting trips Id figure id get it done this year after deer season so it will be new and ready by the time I can start travelling again.

OP
BraedenD93
if your barrel is still fine why not keep the 20"?
my 300wsm is a 20" and i don't think ill ever go back to longer barrels.

ibi barrels is a Canadian barrel company they seems to be making some good barrels
650$ for a fluted stainless or 850$ for a carbon
Its fine now but I wont be getting too many more seasons out of it. With covid cancelling my plans I figured id spend the money now after this years hunting season. Have the work done I need and then by the time I can start international travel again it will be good and ready and I wont be pressured with time.