New BC Mountain rifle scope ?

Rackstar

FNG
Time to upgrade my scope on my mountain rifle. Currently using a vx3i 3.5-10 40mm duplex. It’s tough , has served me well but I will be moving this over to my Winchester featherweight 300win mag as my do it all rifle.

Going for a CDS dial this time for extended shots. I have a Kimber Montana 300wsm. I’m thinking of either the vx3HD 2.5-8 36mm cds for weight savings , or the vx5 3-15 44mm potentially with the fire dot.

What scope should I buy for BC mountain game, I’m no LR wizard , 500 yards Is my upper limit for shots I want to take. I have swaro EL binos so I’m leaning towards the 2.5-8 x 36mm for its weight savings, but I’m on the fence. Price difference is about 1000 Canadian dollars.

Thanks for you’re opinions

If 500 is your hunting max, I’d definitely go with a scope that had only an exposed elevation turret meant for dialing. I wouldn’t get a parallax adjustment either.

That’s just my opinion.

LightFoot

WKR
Hard to beat the NF SHV or NXS for reliability and about 20 oz.

Leupold 3-15x44 is a good buy.

Still.... for the money, the VX-3i is solid.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

TN2shot07

WKR
I love my 2.5-8’s, going to mount another one up on a 243 as soon as I decide on the rings. I have a vx5 2-10 and for whatever reason I like the smaller lighter scope for my hunting better, it’ll probably be up for sale before long and replaced with another vx3.

Bater

WKR
For lightweight the Leupy’s you mentioned are nice, but personally if I’m dialing it’d be
NF NXS 2.5-10
NF SHV 3-10
SWFA 3-9

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Time to upgrade my scope on my mountain rifle. Currently using a vx3i 3.5-10 40mm duplex. It’s tough , has served me well but I will be moving this over to my Winchester featherweight 300win mag as my do it all rifle.

Going for a CDS dial this time for extended shots. I have a Kimber Montana 300wsm. I’m thinking of either the vx3HD 2.5-8 36mm cds for weight savings , or the vx5 3-15 44mm potentially with the fire dot.

What scope should I buy for BC mountain game, I’m no LR wizard , 500 yards Is my upper limit for shots I want to take. I have swaro EL binos so I’m leaning towards the 2.5-8 x 36mm for its weight savings, but I’m on the fence. Price difference is about 1000 Canadian dollars.

Thanks for you’re opinions
I would choose the Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x42.

Z5i 3.5-18x44 with the 4W reticle at 15oz. Dial out to 13.5 SMOA with an outdoorsman’s turret and use the 4w reticle to correct wind on a follow up if need be.

Call Omer at precision optics, he’ll take care of you either way if you decide to go with the VX5 which has the amount of travel you could use to max out the 300 WSM. He’s also been on a ton of goat hunts and will give you the no BS talk on what you need.

turley

Lil-Rokslider
I’m considering the Maven RS.2 2-10X38 with SHR reticle for either my Montana or Fury.

SDHNTR

WKR
Nightforce NXS 2.5-10 is #1 if you can shell out the coin. SHV 3-10 if not. SWFA 3-9 if you could ever find one (doubtful). There is no Leupold or Swaro worthy of a mountain hunt for me, or much of any other hunt truthfully.

vx3hd 2.5-8x36 cds, what a great scope, where was that 10 years ago lol

If you will take another suggestion let me throw out the Trijicon 3-9x40 Accupoint green dot duplex. A level higher optically, adjustments, feel etc. than the Leupold but that reticle is amazing and intuitive and for aging eyes...love it. It's only 13.4 oz and will mount in 1" low rings. Yes it doesn't have a locking/exposed cds style turret but you can get Kenton speed dial turret for it and spin the dust cap off when you have to dial up...usually time you have when ranging and dialling so it's not that big a downside...the upsides really do offset that imo. So much so that my life long Leupold diehard self finally moved over to this combo. No batteries and the green dot is better than red...all bowhunters know that. ;)

Now, if Leupold figures out how to machine a street block for that 2.5-8 so a cr2032 battery and fire dot reticle can go that scope and add 1.5 oz then look out...if they did that with a green dot then really look out. As I see it the other way...if Trijicon figures out a cds style turret for the Accupoint then whoa. Hunters perfect scopes are just around the corner here haha. For me the Trijicon Kenton combo is where it's at now. Have a look at them, tough to beat for 0-500 yard hunting rigs...wait till you see that dot on game or in low light, great glass too, very nice to get behind an illuminated dot of quality now I can't give it up.

ps go handle a vx5 before you buy, they are bulky and heavy compared to the 1" tube leupolds we've come to love, they are clubs imo, I tried them, great eye box and view but just couldn't get over the bulk, 1" lightweight all the way here, only 30mm tube I can tolerate is the Leupold 4.5-14x40's at about 15.5 oz.