New BDX scopes and updates from Sig

catorres1

Lil-Rokslider
New BDX Gear from Sig

Sig has made some additions and changes to their BDX line for 2020 that I thought I would pass on. They are committed to the system, as it plays to their strengths in integrating technology and optics and I think we’ll see more and more products with this capability as time rolls on. For now, they have introduced the following:

Updated BDX 2.0: This is really not an increase in capability, but a simplification for people that don’t want to use a smart phone with their system, and/or do not want to jump into specific ballistics for their rifles. Basically, they added specifically spaced ballistic pre-set curves (about 1 MOA apart at 100 yards IIRC), that can be setup via the app, but more importantly for some, selected from the scope without having to use a smart phone at all. And for those buying the scope/RF combos, they will also now come pre-paired. Talking to Sig, my understanding is this move is in response to a request from some users that just wanted a more simple system that they could setup very easily with little additional tech work. For those shooters that don’t mind using the phone to set the system up, and that want the additional long range accuracy of a custom curve, all of the previous capability continues. The update is really for those that don’t want that and want a much more simple setup procedure.

One additional key point about the change is that because it allows you to have a customizeable (albeit in a limited form) BDC that more closely matches your ballistics without using a smart phone or RF connection, when used in this fashion, it should be useable in states where the BDX system is banned. In those cases, while not as good as the whole system, if you already have the scope, you can still use it’s BDC abilities (to a degree) without running afoul of the game laws in that particular state. While it is not an ideal solution to the problem, it is an option for those that already have BDX setups and still want to make use of them, or for those that like traditional BDC holdover systems (like Leupold’s B&C reticle) but don’t like that they cannot be adjusted to their needs. BDX 2.0 allows them an easy way to still have a simple BDC reticle, but one that is more closely aligned to the trajectory of their rifles.

Sierra 6 BDX Scope

Sig has also started moving BDX tech up their product line with the introduction of the Sierra 6 BDX scopes, which will come in 2-12, 3-18, and 5-30 magnfications. These scopes are still second focal plane, but they have a 6x erector, improved glass, and improved Bluetooth connectivity made possible by the relocation of the communication pod.

Sig also doubled the number of holdover points on the vertical stadia, and added a ‘windage tree’ that corresponds to those dots. The windage tree dots do not light up but it allows the shooter to more easily cross reference the holdover and windage hold indicators that display on the main reticle, giving the shooter an actual point to hold to that is off the main stadia for a hold that resolves both elevation and windage. Previously, on the Sierra 3’s, you had one dot on the vertical for holdover, and one on the horizontal for windage, and you had to figure out in empty space in the scope where these should cross. The new reticle now lets you ‘connect the dots’ so to speak for a more accurate solution.

In terms of Bluetooth connectivity, I am told that the distance has been increased by more than two times what I tested the Sierra 3 at. The purpose was not to overly increase the distance from the shooter to the RF, but to make the connectively, which was already quite stable, even moreso.

I am told that these scopes will ship sometime in early summer and MSRP should start at around 1k. I hope to have a demo to test before that, and I’ll post my impressions if that works out, but these scopes look to me to be targeted to longer range shooters who needed more holdover capability, better glass, and more precision in terms of placing their holdoff. I’m looking forward to testing one out in the coming months!

Echo 3

Though I have plenty of need for them where I live, I am generally not much of a thermal user, simply due to the cost. The Echo 3 still is nowhere near my budget, but it’s still worth mentioning because Sig has implemented BDX tech into this thermal reflex scope as well. It’s a 1-6 digital thermal with BDX, and includes video and image recording. It’s design indicates to me that BDX will continue to spread throughout their line, probably maturing and improving along the way. Frankly, if I could afford that $3k price tag, I’d definitely grab one of these to resolve some of the coyote and pig issues in my area. Hopefully, I can at least get one on demo and pop it on one of my AR’s to give it a run, but again, I see this as an indicator of how dedicated Sig is, and will continue to be, to integrating new technology applications into their optics line.

robie

WKR
Is there a rumour of any changes to their rangefinders?

2400bdx will work with their scope in 2.0?

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

OP
C

catorres1

Lil-Rokslider
No changes that I am aware of, your 2400bdx will work with the new scopes just fine.

kickemall

WKR
I just saw Opticsplanet.com has listed the 2.0 Sierra 6 5-30 as a new product at $1299 and supposed to ship within 12-24 days. I also see there's some limited info. on Sig's web site. I'm not a huge fan of Opticsplanet as my business with them has been hit and miss.

Last edited:

JGRaider

WKR
So on this new Sig with 6x erector, and 2nd focal plane.......do you have to be on 18x for the dope/BDX to work accurately in the scope?

OP
C

catorres1

Lil-Rokslider
So on this new Sig with 6x erector, and 2nd focal plane.......do you have to be on 18x for the dope/BDX to work accurately in the scope?
No, they call it digital focal plane. It adjusts the holds based on the power the scope is set on. So it will work on any power.

OP
C

catorres1

Lil-Rokslider
They had the first shipment arrive in late Dec IIRC, but it was already mostly sold out so it was gone instantly to backorders etc. I was told they expected another shipment sometime in January maybe Feb. Hope to get an update sooner than later from Sig.

They had the first shipment arrive in late Dec IIRC, but it was already mostly sold out so it was gone instantly to backorders etc. I was told they expected another shipment sometime in January maybe Feb. Hope to get an update sooner than later from Sig.
I ended up placing a pre-order/backorder from Europtics in December when they had a big sale on Sig Optics. Just got a shipping notice today! Looking forward to checking it out and hopefully I can find some ammo for sighting in :ROFLMAO: