New bear and deer caliber help

wabowman

Lil-Rokslider
I am in the midst of getting a new rifle but I'm stuck on what caliber to get.
I am looking at getting a Christensen Ridgeline or Mesa in either 28 Nosler or 6.5 PRC. Most of my shots will be in the 300-600 yrds.
What do you think?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

archp625

WKR
Do you have other guns? If so what are their calibers. Most of the time I see people wanted to buy another gun when they have one that will be perfect or they are wanting a new caliber that is overlapping with one they have. I'm not against anyone buying another gun but may help your process.

WKR
As a point of reference, son hammered a very large old CO black bear last year at 430 yards with a 140 berger vld doing about 2750 fps at the muzzle. So going out on a limb and saying, both rounds would provide more than enough. Buy whatever round you will enjoy shooting and will shoot a lot. For me, that is now the smaller cartridges and they are proving quite effective.

OP
wabowman

wabowman

Lil-Rokslider
Do you have other guns? If so what are their calibers. Most of the time I see people wanted to buy another gun when they have one that will be perfect or they are wanting a new caliber that is overlapping with one they have. I'm not against anyone buying another gun but may help your process.
As of now I own 270,308 and 30/06. None of which has the performance characteristics or the 28 or 6.5 at distance.

WKR
My rig this fall for bears is an 18” barreled 30-06 shooting 155 scenars. I do shoot across some canyons and it will do fine. I would use any of your 3 rigs to 600 yards if they shoot well. Not much time till season, good luck!

260madman

WKR
All of those would do. If you want a new rifle buy one. Can’t fault a guy for that. Lord knows I have wandering eyes when it comes guns. I am not faithful.

LightFoot

WKR
I vote 6.5 PRC because with black bear and deer, there is no need to step up to the 28 Nolser. If elk, moose, or other larger game were on the menu, I'd go 28. (Even though the 6.5 is capable)

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

JWP58

WKR
My rig this fall for bears is an 18” barreled 30-06 shooting 155 scenars. I do shoot across some canyons and it will do fine. I would use any of your 3 rigs to 600 yards if they shoot well. Not much time till season, good luck!

Just curious, what velocity numbers are you getting with that setup?

mcseal2

WKR
I'd vote 6.5 PRC also. I shoot a mild load with my 264 win mag that's in the same performance range and it has done excellent for me. I've used it a lot with 140gr Accubonds or 140gr Bergers with no complaints. The Bergers win past 450 yards or so in ease of hits when shooting in the wind. The Accubonds penetrate much deeper and exit much more often. Nothing has gone far after the hit with either one.

I'd have a 6.5 PRC if the 264 wasn't already in my safe.

WKR
Just curious, what velocity numbers are you getting with that setup?
Just shot it again this am. Velocity was actually lower than I thought but accuracy is quite good. 2775 fps.

260madman

WKR
I fling a 168gr NBT out of my 30-06 @ 2960fps. Not the highest BC bullets but I’m pretty sure they’ll work. An ABLR will bump the BC a bit.

Smithb9841

Lil-Rokslider
Will your other rifles work? ya....but who doesn’t like fabricating an excuse to get a new gun haha!!
I say go with the 28 nosler maybe im Biased though because I want one so bad haha

OP
wabowman

wabowman

Lil-Rokslider
So after much debate with myself I decided to go a completely different route.
I've decided to do some upgrades to 2 of my existing guns. The 30/06 and 308 will both be getting new stocks, triggers and bedded.
I will also do some more load development with each.
From there if I'm not happy with the 308 it will get a new barrel in the future due to it being a 19" tactical.
Thanks for the info from all.

I fling a 168gr NBT out of my 30-06 @ 2960fps. Not the highest BC bullets but I’m pretty sure they’ll work. An ABLR will bump the BC a bit.
Have you used the ABLR before? The internet reviews aren’t so good on their expansion under 300 yards or so... looking for someone that has used them

260madman

WKR
Have you used the ABLR before? The internet reviews aren’t so good on their expansion under 300 yards or so... looking for someone that has used them

I have not. I have heard they’re a little “soft” for closer shots.

Don’t count the old 30-06 out, it may not be the new “hot” item but with some load development you can have a really nice performing 30cal rifle within the distances you are wanting to shoot. There is a nice article on the hide if you want more info on stretching that calibers legs;

Bojangles21

Lil-Rokslider
I vote 6.5 PRC because with black bear and deer, there is no need to step up to the 28 Nolser. If elk, moose, or other larger game were on the menu, I'd go 28. (Even though the 6.5 is capable)

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Agreed 100%. For your uses I’d say 6.5 prc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bojangles21

Lil-Rokslider
I am in the midst of getting a new rifle but I'm stuck on what caliber to get.
I am looking at getting a Christensen Ridgeline or Mesa in either 28 Nosler or 6.5 PRC. Most of my shots will be in the 300-600 yrds.
What do you think?

Not trying to change your choice on a rifle but I’d look into fierce firearms. I’ve never owned a Christensen arms but quite a few of my friends do and at lest half shot terrible and had to be rebarreled. It seems like it’s 50/50 with them.

Here’s the link to one of fierce’s guns

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk