New best friend inbound

So, getting a new dog in August. Actually ahead of plan but we are very fortunate to be receiving a gift of a dog from a generous person that had a litter. They were born just over a week ago. I am super excited to have a dog I can backpack/camp with. My Dane I lost last year just wasn't built for it.

My question is what gear companies have you had luck with as far as gear you use while backpacking with your dog. Right now a pack from Ruffwear is at the top of the list. Also, anyone use the dog boots? I am wondering if they could help protect from cactus? Anyone know of a good way to help protect the dog from cactus? Anyone have their dog rattlesnake trained or vaccinated for snakes? How did that work out? I seam to run into at least one rattler on a trail every year. Any other advise appreciated.

Grumman

WKR
Curiosity got me, what breed did you get? My wife wants a Dane but I know it is just not practical for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
MuleyFever
I love Danes. My last 2 dogs were Danes and I would get another but we are just so active and its hard to take a dog that big all over the place. So, I am going back to a Weimaraner.

Wondering why a Dane would not be practical?

Grumman

WKR
Too dang big:). We have an 8 year old boxer now that has been a great dog and running partner. He's slowing down though and my boy is talking about a German Shepard or something, tough decision for us.

Weimaraners are great, a buddy has one that can run like the wind. Congrats on your new pup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

COSA

Lil-Rokslider
Mini Australian Shepherd. Not too big, stout for their size, loyal/don't wonder, good with other dogs, Smart as hell, Frisbee king, don't drink as much water as a lab, high energy outside like a border collie - calmer inside than a border collie, & good with kids. The bad is shedding, always wanting their ass petted, chewing the first year, may not be the best for hot climates, and somewhat shy of strangers for a few minutes. Probably good to have another dog or a lot of time - or they will find something to occupy themselves...
Ruffwear makes great stuff, but they're proud of them.

Last edited:
Congratulations, that will be an excellent hiking buddy. You'll want a shock collar with good range as those grey ghosts can flat haul the mail.

SportDog. Plenty of versions; waterproof. I have used one with my German Shepherd for 2 years. If you train her/him right with it your dog will listen like a champ.

I believe the version I have specifically is the FieldTrainer 425

7 levels of shock (my dog responds on a 3)
500 yard range
waterproof

And a hell of a lot cheaper than some of those garmins

Billinsd

WKR
Any recommendations on a good shock collar?
Dogtra or Garmin/Tri tronics are the best, most dependable, and durable. The others don't compare quality wise. Look at the website to see what you want and look at the reviews. Go to the collar clinic, they sell all kinds of collars, new and refurbished, and repair collars. Ask them, they are the gurus of e-collars. Collar Clinic: E-collars for Dog Training, GPS Dog Tracking, Bark Collars, Parts and Repair Educate yourself on e-collar training and how to use them. Google Mike Lardy and Evan Graham.

Cheers Bill

2ski

WKR
If you are getting a hunting dog, you might think about an e-collar/gps combo. Depends on how much the dog runs. Just remember you're not shocking the dog, you are correcting it for something it already knows not to do. That's why most dog guys refer to it as an e-collar, not a shock collar. Make sure you use the lowest setting the dog responds to. No use giving it a 10 when a 3 will work. And don't introduce the collar as a young pup.

Billinsd

WKR
Think of the ecollar as a remote leash. You first must teach the dog and it must understand the commands before using and ecollar. You never want to give a command you cannot enforce. You can do a tremendous amount of harm to a dog with an ecollar if you don't know what you are doing. It's good to get an ecollar with a wide range settings, however, those collars cost more money. When you have a wide range of settings you can fine tune it to your dog. You never want a real strong setting for your dog, you want just enough to get its attention.

There is a tremendous amount of responsibility with an ecollar.

Good luck.
Bill

I'll agree with what 2ski says. If you are getting a hunting dog they have the ones that "ping" differently when your dog is moving compared to when its on point. My dog isn't a hunting dog so I just wanted a simple one that I could use for training, and wouldn't break the bank.

E-collar/shock collar - at the end of the day it emits a shock to correct behavior. But as 2ski said, use the lowest setting your dog responds to. You don't want them to be scared shitless every time you pull out the collar.

I make my dog sit; put on the collar, and then give her a treat. She instantly knows that when that thing is on; she better listen to commands. Anymore I rarely have to give her a shock; the collar being on in itself does the job.

Bar

Banned
Good luck with your new friend.

I couldn't live without a dog. He's my whole family now.

OP
MuleyFever
Is the Garmin Pro 550 worth the extra $100 over the pro 70?

Like the bark correction feature of the Garmin.

WyoRob

Lil-Rokslider
Yes, all day long.

The bark correction feature was a bit too hot for my dogs, I'd only use it under direct supervision.