TheViking

WKR
Leaning towards Seekins custom shop…

300 PRC Havak PH2
24” barrel 1-9 twist

I have an email out to them.

Bachto

WKR
I have a Tikka T3X lite Veil in a 300WM (nothing customized yet) and have been doing some load work ups right now and hunted with it last season (Killed a buck and carried it on a backpack hunt in 6 miles into a wilderness area). I can share my experience with it so far.

First off, I love the gun over all. its super light (just at 9 pounds with vortex viper) though you had mentioned putting an aftermarket stock on it so not sure what your weight would be. It has a great trigger from the factory. My dad has an X-bolt and put an aftermarket trigger in it and he said my Tikka had a way better stock trigger than his browning. Even with as light as it is, it's not terrible to shoot at all with just the basic bird cage break.

The thing that is slightly annoying that someone else mentioned already is the short action and the limited variability with load work ups you can do. I couldn't seat the bullets out as far as I wanted because first, the mag is short. The action is also short, so I don't have too much more room to seat them out farther even if I wanted to hand feed them.

For a $1200 gun it's great and I wouldn't hesitate to to get another.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I have a kimber mountain ascent 300 win mag that I have worked up some great loads for. Ive had it out to around 600yds but have not hunted with it yet. Like some guy mentioned, the barrel is thin so it will heat up fast, for that reason, its not really a range gun for me but it checks alot of boxes for a long-er-ish range hunting rig for me. No problems with it so far.

slowelk

WKR
I like the way you think. I will ask when they respond!

How heavy of a bullet do you really want to shoot? You really only need a faster twist than 1:10 if you live at sea level and want to shoot something heavier than 215gr. I have a seekins 300 wm 10 twist that shoots 215s at 3000' with no issue.

Shooting solids is another matter. If you live in CA, sure. Otherwise I don't know why you'd bother.

SteveCNJ

WKR
Classified Approved
I'm selling my 300 Weatherby Dangerous Game Rifle.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I would only shoot Mono's if a was forced to.

These are mid-sized 30 cal magnums.. It's hard to find a "bad" factory or custom option today.

The perfect bullet for them is a 215 hybrid if you can find those unicorns.

I also witnessed lots of death from the 225 ELD-M.

You don't have to push either of those very fast to be deadly from 0-1000 yards.

Seeknelk

WKR
10 twist will shoot very well with 230-215 Berger'.
Tikkas suck in 300 win mag IF you want to load anything long and heavier than about 200.
Tikkas rock in 300 wsm tho!

Leaning towards Seekins custom shop…

300 PRC Havak PH2
24” barrel 1-9 twist

I have an email out to them.

If you’re going to go custom, get 8 twist in case you want to shoot the really heavies like 245 EOL, 250 A Tip, or really long monos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

WRO

WKR
If you’re going to go custom, get 8 twist in case you want to shoot the really heavies like 245 EOL, 250 A Tip, or really long monos.

Faster twist on the big heavies increases the BC as well.

The 245s are good to go in a 9 twist barrel, I have an 8 twist and wouldn’t do it again.
I played with some of the heavier monos and wasn't impressed, only shoot them if you have to is a good slogan..