New big 30 cal rifle - options

The 245s are good to go in a 9 twist barrel, I have an 8 twist and wouldn’t do it again.
I played with some of the heavier monos and wasn't impressed, only shoot them if you have to is a good slogan..
Great advice, 99% of shooters don't need an 8 twist. Most don't need a 9 twist, 10 will handle the vast majority of bullets available. I've shot thousands of 215s and 230s in a 10 twist with zero issues.

I'm not had any direct experience with Fierce but I own a 300 WM havak that i've posted on a lot if you do a search. I'd look hard at getting a rival before a havak. What I don't like about the Rival is the weight is a little light for a long range 30 mag and the muzzle threads on the steel barrel were only 1/2" if I recall correctly.

Faster twist on the big heavies increases the BC as well.

What I don't like about the examples is they use something able to stabilize but not optimal and something overkill. In the case of the 225 ELDm, 10 twist vs 7 twist.

Would be interesting to see difference between a 9 twist and 8 twist. Would bet it's not much and I bet a 9 twist is easier on those hornady jackets that like to go poof.

I'm a fan of 9 twist for a LR 30 cal. The new world record 1000 yard bench rest group shot with 220 berger LRHT was in a 10 twist 300wsm.

BR shooters always use the slowest twist necessary for a given bullet. They feel that it's easier on the bullet jackets and more accurate, if faster twist than necessary was better I guarantee every single one of them would be using it.

I believe the Tikka T3 action will limit the COAL in the 300 PRC. I think if you are set on 24 inches or shorter i would build a 300 wsm off a tikka action. 300 PRC is a great option if wanting to shoot 212s or heavier but with a magnum case your gonna want all the barrel lentgh you can get to make it worth it. I have a 22Inch seekins and a 26inch seekins. Both shoot great but the 22inch is 150-200 fps slower than the 26.

I believe the Tikka T3 action will limit the COAL in the 300 PRC. I think if you are set on 24 inches or shorter i would build a 300 wsm off a tikka action. 300 PRC is a great option if wanting to shoot 212s or heavier but with a magnum case your gonna want all the barrel lentgh you can get to make it worth it. I have a 22Inch seekins and a 26inch seekins. Both shoot great but the 22inch is 150-200 fps slower than the 26.
Mudslinger. Given that you have both seekins (which cal 300 prc?) which do you prefer if you had to have one and why? Thank you for the input

slowelk

WKR
Mudslinger. Given that you have both seekins (which cal 300 prc?) which do you prefer if you had to have one and why? Thank you for the input

I have three tikkas and one seekins. The seekins shoots great, but the action isn’t nearly as nice. The seekins has very little after market support, but it’s getting better. PVA is now offering prefits for them, manners is inletting stocks for them.

Seekins customer service is great, but it’s hard to really make it yours and not just the same as every other seekins that has rolled off the line. If that doesn’t matter to you, the seekins is great. Great reputation, great customer service, designed to handle the true big 30 cal magnums. Also, my seekins has shot better than any factory barreled tikka I have owned. I only own one that still wears its factory barrel. All that said, Tikkas are more fun to tinker with.

That is great information thank you
I have three tikkas and one seekins. The seekins shoots great, but the action isn’t nearly as nice. The seekins has very little after market support, but it’s getting better. PVA is now offering prefits for them, manners is inletting stocks for them.

Seekins customer service is great, but it’s hard to really make it yours and not just the same as every other seekins that has rolled off the line. If that doesn’t matter to you, the seekins is great. Great reputation, great customer service, designed to handle the true big 30 cal magnums. Also, my seekins has shot better than any factory barreled tikka I have owned. I only own one that still wears its factory barrel. All that said, Tikkas are more fun to tinker with.

JjamesIII

WKR
I shoot a Remington .308 XCR had a little work done to it nothing fancy, works well out to 600 yards (furtherest range I can shoot on) My hunting buddy shoots a tika very nice rifle but not for me. My remington 300 win mag is a good shooting rifle also at the 600 yard mark, both rifles have proven results at those distances for minute of deer. Guess it all comes down to what you want and what you want to pay
I shoot a Remington .308 XCR had a little work done to it nothing fancy, works well out to 600 yards (furtherest range I can shoot on) My hunting buddy shoots a tika very nice rifle but not for me. My remington 300 win mag is a good shooting rifle also at the 600 yard mark, both rifles have proven results at those distances for minute of deer. Guess it all comes down to what you want and what you want to pay.
Those xcr II are sleepers. I also bought one when they first came out. I wanted a light and fast mountain rifle. I ditched the Tupperware stock immediately threw a timney trigger on it, glass bedded the action and wow, I was impressed. 1/2 moa with that little pencil barrel. I can take it out to 1k on the range with hand loads for hunting, 165 Nosler accubonds.

Inside of 800 yards with a predictable wind, the gun is hitting 10” plates very easily. Unfortunately, I couldn’t get the best accuracy out of heavier projectiles with my barrel, 165’s were the best by a significant margin. Running ballistics, I don’t think it will be a detriment for the ranges I would take a shot at game with. For the $$$, it’s a great value for a light weight 300 wsm. But as already mentioned by others- those tikka actions are smooth and the aftermarket support is better these days, then when I had bought the remi xcr.

I like both, but I am building rebarreling my desert tech to 300 prc so I will be letting go of my 26inch PH2. Pm me if your interested.

If your not suppressing it, I like the PH2. If you plan to suppress, I perfer the element. I fell like you get the most out of the cartridge in the 26inch tube, plus I like the thicker barrel contour of the PH2 over the element.

Gen273

WKR
I have a kimber mountain ascent 300 win mag that I have worked up some great loads for. Ive had it out to around 600yds but have not hunted with it yet. Like some guy mentioned, the barrel is thin so it will heat up fast, for that reason, its not really a range gun for me but it checks alot of boxes for a long-er-ish range hunting rig for me. No problems with it so far.
What is the recoil like with your .300 WM Mountain Ascent?

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
What is the recoil like with your .300 WM Mountain Ascent?
With the brake on it’s like shooting a 6.5creedmoor. I hav t tried it yet without the break but I plan to. It’s light but not as ultra lite as my 308 Kimber. I want to say it’s like 7lb 10oz with my meopta 3-9 and talley rings.

Gen273

WKR
With the brake on it’s like shooting a 6.5creedmoor. I hav t tried it yet without the break but I plan to. It’s light but not as ultra lite as my 308 Kimber. I want to say it’s like 7lb 10oz with my meopta 3-9 and talley rings.
Thanks for the info!

Tikka isn't a good choice for a big 30, they're just to short of an action/mag box unless you want a 300 Win mag and plan to use factory ammo.
I couldn't disagree more. This tikka shoots amazingly. 300wm. 6x24x50 Zeiss v4 illuminated just gets me on target.20230130_134553.jpg