New Big Game Rifle Dilemma..

tntrker

WKR
I have a Savage 30-06 & 300wm now that I'm happy with. I keep wanting to purchase a Bergara, either their Approach or Highlander series. I want a caliber for big game (elk, Moose) and I have taken elk at 660yrds, so I like being effective at long range. I'm not sure at another caliber other than 300wm for long range but I really can't see having 2 300wm's. Soooo, caliber suggestions or 2 300wm's ok?

Sled

WKR
Buy the caliber you are confident in under the conditions you hunt. It's nice to only have to stock one caliber of ammo as well. But if you wanted another magnum that is capable you might look at the seven mag. Personally I've been going the opposite way. Smaller calibers with copper projectiles.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Since long-range hunting of Elk and Moose was mentioned, +1 for the .300 PRC. The cartridge was designed for long range shooting and already has a track record of wins at the range. It’s also beltless, fits a regular magnum action, and offered in a number of hunting rifles. Another plus is the availability of highly-accurate factory ammo with heavy .30 caliber hunting bullets - great 500 yard elk medicine.

I purposely try to limit the number of calibers I have to minimize overhead on dies and brass, I would go 300 win mag.

I'm not sure how much difference you'll really see between the savages and the Bergara.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Forest

WKR
They do carry a lot more calibers over in Spain, including a 338 win mag which would be ideal. So this tells me that it could maybebe an option here in the states before too long also!? To me the 300prc only makes sense if you are reloading, otherwise not enough ammo options yet. That said there is nothing wrong with the 300wm, and certainly nothing wrong with owning 2 of them

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

Bsnyder

WKR
Tim brings a up a good point keep it simple I’m horrible about that and eventually I will get there but he has a very valid point.