New Bino help..

Hey all, I know this topic has been beat to death...I’ve lurking the forums for quite some time looking for the advice I need and now have more questions than answers. I’ll soon be in the market for a new pair of binos for the upcoming hunting season. I’ve always used a 10x42 and think I would like to stick with that so I’ve got that covered. Ive always gotten by with a cheaper set of binos but I’m to the point I’m ready to spend the cash and buy a great set that I’ll be able to use and hang on to for a long time. I’m currently running a set of Alpen apex xp’s.

Brand is the issue...
I’ve not really narrowed it down much and here is where I’d appreciate everyone’s advice. It’ll be easy for me to go and look through Swaro, Zeiss, Vortex....etc but not some of the others. I’ve been looking at several other brands online such as GPO, Sig Sauer, Maven, Tract, Meopta and so on and hear great things about all but would like some real world user advice if at all possible.
Thanks Everyone,

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
It would be our pleasure to discuss options with you.
The better/best would be
Leica Ultravid HD Plus
Swarovski EL/SLC
GPO Passion HD
Zeiss SF
Meopta Meostar/Meopro Air
Kowa Genesis

AGPank

WKR
I suggest reviewing the optics forum. There are many reviews of the top end alphas and many of the more competitive $1,000 market.

Do you have somewhere you can go see different brands? Do you have friends you can borrow from? You really need to spend some time behind the glass to be comfortable with your purchase.

Other options are buying used and sell what you don’t like. You can also buy new from vendors with strong return policies. One member bought several pair from cabelas, tested them all, did a full right up, and kept what worked from him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
I
Thanks for the fast replies. I guess I should add that I’m looking to spend more in the $1000-$1500 range but would be open to cheaper options of good quality as well. I know to my eye I probably wont be able to tell the minor differences in glass of that price range. Just struggling to decide if I should just jump straight to buying a pair of SLC’s or exploring other options that may be very comparable for less money.

tdhanses

WKR
Personally you’ll have a hard time beating the SLC’s and also getting something that retains its value. None of us want to invest in something that loses 30% of its value but unfortunately with hunting gear it’s very similar to buying a vehicle, unless you buy the Ferrari which will hold or gain value.

Just something to ponder, also swaro isn’t going anywhere and is great to work with if you have any issues.

tdhanses

WKR
Also I’m not saying go outside of your budget, get what you can afford and looks like you can afford that Ferrari 😉

TButtars

FNG
I run a pair of 15x Swarovski for picking stuff apart then I just run a pair of really cheap 10x 42 for my chest seams like you just scan with those anyways

jolmaco

FNG
I've always had good luck with vortex viper or razor. Its not as nice as swaro but I feel that for what you get they are a great value.

Stingray

Lil-Rokslider
It would be our pleasure to discuss options with you.
The better/best would be
Leica Ultravid HD Plus
Swarovski EL/SLC
GPO Passion HD
Zeiss SF
Meopta Meostar/Meopro Air
Kowa Genesis

Doug - what is the MeoPro Air and how does it compare to and what is the difference with the B1?

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
MeoPro Air was announced last week at SHOT Show. Same optics as the MeoStar but an open bridge design and a couple of ounces less overall

If you keep an eye out in the classifieds on here you can find some amazing deals. I picked up my 10x42 el's for $1700 and couldnt be happier. I have looked through the Mavens at quite a few shows and they look damn good for that $1000 dollar range. Lots of glass looks great indoors though, I'd like to try them outside at low light and see how they looked. I've looked through the Ziess Conquests too and thought they were real good glass as well.

I'm also in the same spot, looking for a great bin. I wasn't happy with the Vortex Razor or Viper (d/t fringing colors). Thinking of used Zeiss Conquest or used Swaro SLC. Both of these have threaded mounts for tripods which is one of my requirements, so keep that in mind. Good luck!

Just buy the C1s and be done. That's what I did. If you really want to spend $1,000 you can, Maven has good offerings in that price point as does Meopta, Nikon, Zeiss, etc.

I was really impressed with my friend's Maven B1s but I personally don't feel any need to upgrade. I see hundreds of deer and elk per year with the Mavens and highly doubt I miss many over the more expensive glass.

rclouse79

WKR
Just buy the C1s and be done. That's what I did. If you really want to spend $1,000 you can, Maven has good offerings in that price point as does Meopta, Nikon, Zeiss, etc.

I was really impressed with my friend's Maven B1s but I personally don't feel any need to upgrade. I see hundreds of deer and elk per year with the Mavens and highly doubt I miss many over the more expensive glass.

I am actually looking to upgrade my currently crappy pair of 8x's and have been looking at the C1's. I like the comment about probably not missing many animals with lesser glass in the lower magnifications. I am sure I miss a few at first and last light. My hunting buddy has el's and it seems like we pick up a comparable numbers of animals while glassing side by side most days. It is probably similar to drinking a fine wine vs 3 buck chuck. The fine wine might be more enjoyable to drink, but they both accomplish the same job. You might get more of a head ache with cheap wine or cheap binoculars.

OP
I
Thanks for all of your input guys. I’m definitely not committed to spending $1000-$1500 dollars. I’m definitely all about bang for your buck. If there are options at the lower price points that are comparable in some aspects to higher end glass then I’m all ears in that regard (Just more money I can spend on other gear lol).

Brent111368

Lil-Rokslider
I just picked up a new 10x42 SLC, $1500 plus another 10% off for being a Rokslide member. That was a pretty fair price since I had typically bought Swarovski's used. They are worth every penny if you ask me. I have owned the Meopta, loved them. Have owned the Razor, made in China vintage. They were extremely nice, but not as clear and not as comfortable as the Meopta. Meopta Vs. SLC, I'd say they are close, but the SLC is just so clear and so comfortable, to me anyway. I started on the cheap end of binoculars, and slowly made my way up to buying one of the top models. I wasted a lot of money! Just do it if you can swing it, a top pair of binoculars will always bring a smile to your face, it is a mighty important piece of gear! And if I could afford better, I'd have bought better!

It seems nuts to me that so many people spend 1k + on binos! I don't know if I could convince myself to do that but I haven't tried out any binos in that price range...