New Bino question

Mtaylor

Lil-Rokslider
my Vortex Diamondback 8x42 binos were stolen. Haven’t checked with Vortex but I’m pretty sure they don’t cover that on the guarantee. So what would you guys recommend for binos? Wanted to go up to 10 or 12 power, been lookin at mavens. I still want to be in that $400 price range. They will be my only set of optics except rifle scope so they need to do everything good.

Thanks
Matt

rodney482

WKR
they might cover it ... if anyone would.. it would be Vortex. Call them and ask for Tim Austin.

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The newly released Meopta Optika's would be a great option. Better than a Vortex Viper HD and under $300.00

Home owners insurance would cover theft, not a mfg warranty.

OP
M

Mtaylor

Lil-Rokslider
So leaning towards mavens. But was wondering what you think about 10 power vs 12 power. These are binos I’m going to be hiking with, and under the seat of the truck.

Maven C1s will treat you great. I love mine. I understand why they get such rave reviews. 10x would be best for the FOV since that’s one of the Mavens weaker points.

Napperm4

WKR
10x are more versatile and personally as high magnification I would use for anything I planned to hand hold.

12’s in my opinion are a fad, kind of like how a few years ago everyone “needed” 8’s or 10’s and 15’s.

12’s are ok on a tripod and ok in hand if you’re steady enough to hold them. Most people I know run 8’s because they struggle to hold even the 10’s steady.

Any benefit to increase in magnification is going to be overcome by the lack of steady image. 10’s with a wider FOV and being steadier are more useful.

My personal choice every time is 10x30 or 10x42.

12’s didn’t impress me so I no longer have any. 15’s for tripod only work but they mainly ride in the truck for all the reasons above

I agree with 10x42. 32's aren't much lighter; 50s are heavy to hold very long. In fact, I just bought 10x42s from Doug, but I couldn't get him down to 400 for ultravids, lol.

Regarding 10 or 8 power - I hunted for years with 10x42 and switched to 8x32 after many glassing sessions comparing both. Not saying they are right for everyone but for me I love the reduced weight, steadiness and larger FOV.

C1's are good. It's hard to beat Monarch 7's in that price range. Nikon doesn't advertise the fact that Monarch 7's are HD glass, but they are.

Go with the 10's.

Personally I've gone back to 8's for most of my use unless I'm on a tripod or truck window mount. But hand-held, 8's are where it's at for me personally, especially in low light.

NoWiser

WKR
Don't go with 12s. I recently switched from 10x to 8x as my only bino and am happy with my decision.

I like 10's best for my hunting in the west. I suggest calling Doug to discuss optics quality vs. cost--he won't try to talk you into something just to make a sale. He will give you good information and will answer your probing questions so you make the best decision.

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I like 10's best for my hunting in the west. I suggest calling Doug to discuss optics quality vs. cost--he won't try to talk you into something just to make a sale. He will give you good information and will answer your probing questions so you make the best decision.
Always my pleasure to "meet" and chat with the members here