New binos

Leica Trinovid are the mid-range priced binos from Leica. If you can spend more, look for Doug at Cameraland to have a sale on Noctovid, Ultravid HD, or Ultravid (going down, older in their alpha glass). When testing binos you have to look at stuff in the dark shadowed areas of the ceiling (if HVAC etc is exposed) or better, across the parking lot at the suspension parts under a car.

Another approach is to take advantage of Doug's sale ending today for the Kowa 553/554 (angled/straight) spotting scope at $1500. It has superb optics and very light weight. That means you can use a very light tripod and end up with a 4 lb. setup, with a scope giving up to 45 power.

dapesche

WKR
Leica Trinovid are the mid-range priced binos from Leica. If you can spend more, look for Doug at Cameraland to have a sale on Noctovid, Ultravid HD, or Ultravid (going down, older in their alpha glass). When testing binos you have to look at stuff in the dark shadowed areas of the ceiling (if HVAC etc is exposed) or better, across the parking lot at the suspension parts under a car.

Another approach is to take advantage of Doug's sale ending today for the Kowa 553/554 (angled/straight) spotting scope at $1500. It has superb optics and very light weight. That means you can use a very light tripod and end up with a 4 lb. setup, with a scope giving up to 45 power.
Thanks longbarrel.

Nowadays with podcasts and YouTube we all have a much better idea of what we're getting into with a purchase.

I'm fortunate to have an older prominar spotter which gets the job done.

I'm looking for bright, edge to edge clarity with a large field of view.

Based on birding forums the manufacturer of the maven b2's understated the true field of view.

PayPal is starting to get expensive for us Canadian's to use so I might have to pass on maven due to the damn near 10% charge between transactions and Fx rates.

Thanks again for your input

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

The thing that annoys me with the leicas is that you can't put a stud in them for glassing and that you have to use a different mounting system.

To minimize extra charges, you might call Doug and see if he can help you. He can also give you good advice on what to pick in a given price range, etc.

AGPank

WKR
The thing that annoys me with the leicas is that you can't put a stud in them for glassing and that you have to use a different mounting system.

Which Leicas? The Trinovid and UV can be used with Outdoorsman system.

Many manufacturers recommend the strap system in case of a fall of the tripod, it absorbs shock versus transferring it to the binocular frame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Which Leicas? The Trinovid and UV can be used with Outdoorsman system.

Many manufacturers recommend the strap system in case of a fall of the tripod, it absorbs shock versus transferring it to the binocular frame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oh nice! I didn't think you could run the ourdoorsmans stud in Leicas.

DanN

FNG
I have no regrets with my Maven B2s. I was blown away how much better they are side by side against my dad's Vortex Razors. Their demo program seems pretty neat, or may be worth posting on here asking if anyone is close to meet and look through some.
Good to know about the demo program. Thanks! -Dan