new black ovis treeline carbon fiber sitting tripod

j33

WKR
I was gonna wait for the tripod and decided to pass, I ordered the same Vanguard VEO2 PH-25 head on an Amazon sale and went ahead with a carbon fiber Sirui AM-025K (12-52") instead of Black Ovis (11-31").

VEO2 PH-25: 10.0oz (obviously same weight on Black Ovis since identical)
Sirui AM-025k: 24.5oz (removed ball head and 0.5oz of foam on 2 legs)
Remove bottom two legs section to save ~2.2 + 2.6oz (39" high) = 19.7oz (need to add rubber caps to cover removed legs).... (31" high Black Ovis is 20.7oz)
Center column weighs 2.5oz it's 8" not extended and 14" extended... I haven't removed this. gonna play around with it vs adding legs.

So in summary I am pretty much the same weight as Black Ovis, greater flexibilty to add ~20" of height for specific hunting trips and also have a ball head to switch out with panhead (or sell) for only ~$40 more.

Last edited:
I sent mine back also... I think you can get much more versatility and function for a little more money and possibly weight; such as what j33 described

d_worno-1986

Lil-Rokslider
I rolled the dice and ordered this tripod last week, just received it today. I had emailed BlackOvis to ask about the weight of the tripod without the head and was told right around 14 ounces. That sold me on it because I planned to replace the head with a Really Right Stuff BPC-16 micro ball head and be under 20 ounces for the tripod and head. Sounded pretty good for a sitting tripod that I'd be using just for binos.

Turns out the tripod with the center column weighs 20.7 ounces. A little disappointing versus the 14 ounces I was expecting, but I'm sure that was a communication error between me and BlackOvis. With the RRS head installed, I'm at 24.9 ounces which is still pretty good.

I obviously haven't used this yet, but my initial impressions are that it packs up really really small, and I'm not crazy about the folding legs. However, with the RRS head on it, the legs are long enough when folded to come just a little past the head and give it some protection. I like the diameters of the leg sections and they feel rigid enough. I'll have to use it some to know how stable it actually is. I think the legs will be long enough to accommodate steep terrain, but again will have to get it in the field to say for sure. Overall it's a decent first impression. I'll have some time this weekend to play with it I think, and I may see if I can find a way to shave any more weight off of it.

I'm not sure I'm any better off with this than I would have been just getting one of those cheap AOKA tripods, and I may still order one to compare against this.

And you'd be correct. BlackOvis' site says which Vanguard head it is - VEO 2 PH-25 2-way pan head. The tripod appears to me to be a Vanguard VEO 2 GO 204CB with one less leg section.
Drenalin, have you had more experience now over that last few months with This tripod? What’s your opinion?

Drenalin

WKR
Drenalin, have you had more experience now over that last few months with This tripod? What’s your opinion?
The best way I can think to describe it is...meh. It's ok for some situations. With binos, I'd like a little more height in steep terrain - I've had to hunch to get behind the glass in some spots. Maybe it would be better with an Outdoorsmans Pistol Grip head, but I'm not going to be the one to find out. I really dislike the folding legs, but I think that's more a personal preference thing. It's biggest quality, and I realize this is partly because of the folding legs, is how stinking small it packs down. It really is a very compact package and a good weight. I haven't decided whether or not I will keep it.

d_worno-1986

Lil-Rokslider
The best way I can think to describe it is...meh. It's ok for some situations. With binos, I'd like a little more height in steep terrain - I've had to hunch to get behind the glass in some spots. Maybe it would be better with an Outdoorsmans Pistol Grip head, but I'm not going to be the one to find out. I really dislike the folding legs, but I think that's more a personal preference thing. It's biggest quality, and I realize this is partly because of the folding legs, is how stinking small it packs down. It really is a very compact package and a good weight. I haven't decided whether or not I will keep it.
Roger that. I just got back from a 6 day goat hunt. And per usual started thinking how I could drop some weight. My tripod is over 3 lbs and is way taller than I need up in the hills. So I was curious about this when I saw it. Thanks for your reply

If it’s an ultra lightweight carbon fiber tripod you’re after for seated binos or a small spotter, check this one out. Plenty stable for a Kowa 553.

twall13

WKR
That little Aoka tripod is the reason I didn't get the Blackovis Treeline. It's more compact, weighs less, costs less, and really is quite sturdy for what it is. I really like the metal twist locks on it but the head is garbage. That said, it's max height is 3" shorter than the Blackovis and I feel like both are marginal for use with binos. I still have and use the Aoka for certain things but it really needs to be another 6 inches taller for use with binos, IMO. I've heard of a few guys adding a better center column to make it more usable but haven't tried that yet myself. Maybe if you are short or only use it with an angled spotter it will work but it didn't work for me in all situations and viewing angles.

I picked up a Slik 624 Pro CF from S&S and feel it suits my needs better, though it does weigh more than these two tripods. It's a pretty good balance of features and weight savings/compactness.

I'll probably take the Aoka on turkey hunts or elk hunts where I don't plan to glass much but might use it occasionally or pull it out to use to take a photo after a kill. It's just so tiny it's worth bringing in those situations just in case. If the hunting plan requires more glassing, like a mule deer hunt, I'll haul the Slik around every time and have a much better glassing experience because of it.