new black ovis treeline carbon fiber sitting tripod

MT_Wyatt

WKR
This is interesting.....looks like ducking into the market with a simple model targeted at backpackers, with the head included. I was actually leaning the other way thinking I would get a compact outdoorsmans. Since new I'm assuming no one has used it - Rokslide staff tested at all?

TxAg

Lil-Rokslider
Curious to hear some reviews. I like the listed weight.

twall13

WKR
I'm curious about this one as well. I just got the email about it and it has my interest peaked. I certainly don't need another tripod at the moment but it could be a good option sometime in the future. I'd love to hear some Rokslider's opinions after a bit of use.

That head is a vanguard pan head because I have the same one on my tripod. I’d venture a guess that the whole thing is made by vanguard to be honest

j33

WKR
Any updates on this tripod for use by rokslide folks? Comparing this vs camera lands Sirui T-004S Al tripod with VA-5 compact video head, close to the same price but Sirui is about 6 oz more.

Last edited:
Figured I’d bump this. Buddy is going to need a tripod this year, for 12s and maybe a compact spotter. Looks to be a decent option.

Not sure about the legs themselves but like I said earlier- I have it and use it as my main tripod here in Idaho. I usually just have a set of 10’s or my Sony mirrorless on it, but it handles my 82mm spotter without an issue for being such a small head

I by no means a glassing expert, but I bought his thing because I was sick of carrying around a heavy manfrotto tripod. Awesome little thing! Folds up pretty small and hold my binos as well as my 65 spotter with no problems. I was worried it wouldn't be tall enough when glassing uphill-not the case. Perfect for sitting.

clint6760

FNG
I’m no expert either, but seems like a good option for those that don’t spend a ton of time behind glass. It works well for me with binos and athlon 65mm spotter. Compact and Lightweight. With an angled spotter and sitting, it seems like a great option.

Drenalin

WKR
Bumping for any updates. Curious if anyone has weighed this with just the legs and center column?

I haven't weighed mine with just the legs and the center column. I'm out of town until Monday, but as soon as I'm home I'll weigh it and get back to you.

Drenalin

WKR
I rolled the dice and ordered this tripod last week, just received it today. I had emailed BlackOvis to ask about the weight of the tripod without the head and was told right around 14 ounces. That sold me on it because I planned to replace the head with a Really Right Stuff BPC-16 micro ball head and be under 20 ounces for the tripod and head. Sounded pretty good for a sitting tripod that I'd be using just for binos.

Turns out the tripod with the center column weighs 20.7 ounces. A little disappointing versus the 14 ounces I was expecting, but I'm sure that was a communication error between me and BlackOvis. With the RRS head installed, I'm at 24.9 ounces which is still pretty good.

I obviously haven't used this yet, but my initial impressions are that it packs up really really small, and I'm not crazy about the folding legs. However, with the RRS head on it, the legs are long enough when folded to come just a little past the head and give it some protection. I like the diameters of the leg sections and they feel rigid enough. I'll have to use it some to know how stable it actually is. I think the legs will be long enough to accommodate steep terrain, but again will have to get it in the field to say for sure. Overall it's a decent first impression. I'll have some time this weekend to play with it I think, and I may see if I can find a way to shave any more weight off of it.

I'm not sure I'm any better off with this than I would have been just getting one of those cheap AOKA tripods, and I may still order one to compare against this.

That head is a vanguard pan head because I have the same one on my tripod. I’d venture a guess that the whole thing is made by vanguard to be honest

And you'd be correct. BlackOvis' site says which Vanguard head it is - VEO 2 PH-25 2-way pan head. The tripod appears to me to be a Vanguard VEO 2 GO 204CB with one less leg section.

Serious question. I’m in the unknown here so, please understand I’m not being a wise guy. I just really don’t know.

Why would anyone buy this tripod at that cost, when you can buy one for half that and be just as well off. If spec sheets are relevant.

I totally understand spec sheets are not real world knowledge. Nor are they accurate sometimes. But, does it really take buying $1000 worth of tripods to find one that works well?

is it the name? The reputation? Is it really twice the tripod as a compatible one for half the price?

I’m trying to determine if there is more to learn.

Drenalin

WKR
Serious question. I’m in the unknown here so, please understand I’m not being a wise guy. I just really don’t know.

Why would anyone buy this tripod at that cost, when you can buy one for half that and be just as well off. If spec sheets are relevant.

I totally understand spec sheets are not real world knowledge. Nor are they accurate sometimes. But, does it really take buying $1000 worth of tripods to find one that works well?

is it the name? The reputation? Is it really twice the tripod as a compatible one for half the price?

I’m trying to determine if there is more to learn.
I can’t speak for anyone else, but for me I went with this tripod because BlackOvis told me it was 14 ounces without the head, and because I prefer this sliding center column versus the one on the half price (AOKA) tripod.