New bolt

Wojo14

WKR
I am looking to drop some coin on a bolt rifle. Looking at the Kimber, cooper 92. Something with a good lite weight and shootable. I am mainly a bowhunter, but I will take rifle out to get meat if needed. And I do like rifles too.
I should mention, long range for me would be 300 yards.
Looking for a good range gun that won't kill my shoulder after some shooting and a caliber for North American game. White tail to moose. There is so. Much infor out there on what is the best. I narrowed it down. I will probably get into hand loading for this rifle.
Calibers I have been considering...
280 ai, 270 win, 7-08, 6.5 creed, 6.5x284 Norma, all in the 140g bullets

~Wojo

GKPrice

Banned
Tikka T3x superlight - good balance in price and reliability with no known issues and an outstanding record for out of the box accuracy

270 - 7-08 - 6.5 CM (in June/July)

907to406

Lil-Rokslider
What he said ^^^^ Unless you really want to go all out then I would say get the Cooper over the Kimber. Some quick research will show you a lot of people having issues with the Kimbers which isn't necessarily a deal breaker but their customer service is apparently horrible which in my opinion is a no go.

Ill. To look at the Tikka
~Wojo

I'd agree. The Tikka is a better option as far as accuracy goes. There are many people who have had good experience with Kimbers and accuracy. However there are a lot of people who have had poor experiences with accuracy in the Kimbers. I can't recall any negative reviews for accuracy from anyone owning a newer Tikka. The Cooper rifles are fine rifles with exceptional accuracy. You will pay more for the Cooper and unless you just want to spend money then by all means get the Cooper. Any of the calibers you mentioned will be sufficient. The Creedmoor would be my choice simply because of availability of quality ammo in just about any sporting goods store in America. I've owned or shot all of the calibers you mentioned. The .280AI is my favorite of those you mentioned but unless you reload ammo can be impossible to find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

elkguide

WKR
Still no 6.5 cm ammo in any store around here. I asked and 4 out of the 5 said they could special order it for me.

I'd go with either the 7mm08 or the .270 out of the calibers that you mentioned.
Tikka is an extremely accurate rifle but I don't like a clip fed rifle.

I'm one of the lucky ones I guess because all of the Kimbers that I have shoot great.
I like the way they carry and the way they point.

907to406

Lil-Rokslider
Get yourself a Tikka 270WSM have a muzzle break put on it and don't look back or a 7mm-08. Check out Mountain Tactical for Tikka upgrades if you want to take things further as far as upgrades. That being said I'll be getting a Cooper here in the near future...;)

Last edited:
OP
Wojo14

Wojo14

WKR
Get yourself a Tikka 270WSM have a muzzle break put on it and don't look back or a 7mm-08. Check out Mountain Tactical for Tikka upgrades if you want to take things further as far as upgrades. That being said I'll be getting a Cooper here in the near future...;)

Don't short mags have shorter barrel life?
Aren't mags for long distance?
~Wojo

elkguide

WKR
Go with a standard caliber and you'll be happy.

300 yards or less and a well placed shot and most anything will do the job.

GKPrice

Banned
I'd agree. The Tikka is a better option as far as accuracy goes. There are many people who have had good experience with Kimbers and accuracy. However there are a lot of people who have had poor experiences with accuracy in the Kimbers. I can't recall any negative reviews for accuracy from anyone owning a newer Tikka. The Cooper rifles are fine rifles with exceptional accuracy. You will pay more for the Cooper and unless you just want to spend money then by all means get the Cooper. Any of the calibers you mentioned will be sufficient. The Creedmoor would be my choice simply because of availability of quality ammo in just about any sporting goods store in America. I've owned or shot all of the calibers you mentioned. The .280AI is my favorite of those you mentioned but unless you reload ammo can be impossible to find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

with the Kimbers it's not just "accuracy" - there are complaints of 1) feeding problems 2) weak FP springs 3) extraction blade breaking

Once again I'll say that I really like Kimbers but life is much easier for me to shoot Tikka T3x superlights and I have too many other distractions in life to waste on struggling with them - If I do own another Kimber it will be from a "moment of weakness" (which I am afflicted with)

GKPrice

Banned

Aside from the fact that a 270 WSM hardly warrants a muzzle brake I'd agree ^^^^^

GKPrice

Banned
Don't short mags have shorter barrel life?
Aren't mags for long distance?
~Wojo

maybe slightly - the WSM cartridge was developed in part with throat erosion lessening in mind (a guy wouldn't want to shoot the same old boring barrel forever anyways !)

hodgeman

WKR
Wojo- Its a hunting rifle, very few are ever shot nearly enough to burn out a barrel. Barrel life ought to be the last thing on your mind. If you manage to burn out a barrel you're living life right.

If you want moose on a menu, look at the .30cal.... 30-06, 300WSM, etc...a 30-06 makes a pretty nice moose gun and it won't beat you up and it isn't completely unreasonable for deer either. My .300WSM works just fine on moose, caribou and deer.

Probably the dissenting opinion, but in my mind smaller cartridges are at the outer limits on game like moose and elk. They can work- but why if you don't have to. If you want a "do it all" rifle...the '06 is very tough to beat in that regard.

GKPrice

Banned
wojo- its a hunting rifle, very few are ever shot nearly enough to burn out a barrel. Barrel life ought to be the last thing on your mind. If you manage to burn out a barrel you're living life right.

If you want moose on a menu, look at the .30cal.... 30-06, 300wsm, etc...a 30-06 makes a pretty nice moose gun and it won't beat you up and it isn't completely unreasonable for deer either. My .300wsm works just fine on moose, caribou and deer.

Probably the dissenting opinion, but in my mind smaller cartridges are at the outer limits on game like moose and elk. They can work- but why if you don't have to. If you want a "do it all" rifle...the '06 is very tough to beat in that regard.

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^^^ he said all of it right up there ^^^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

907to406

Lil-Rokslider
Aside from the fact that a 270 WSM hardly warrants a muzzle brake I'd agree ^^^^^

I shot it without a brake for a while and it wasn't bad at all but with the brake having the ability to watch hits and not come off target or for quick follow up shots its worth having in my opinion.