New boot (Altra Tusher)

This shoe looks like it might have the last many of us are looking for. I have a narrowish heel and not much taper in my toes and this looks like a nice option.
Too bad it's not gonna be released until late summer.

Imcolej

FNG
I really hope these are more durable than the loan peak mids. I've had every iteration of them and they all have been far from waterproof (or even water resistant) and not exactly durable for a hunter. Problem is, they're by far the most comfortable boot I've ever worn. I hope these are the answer although I'm skeptical.

I wanted to try a zero drop shoe for some time and happened to find Altras on sale at a local retailer. My old Under Armours were pretty worn out and needed a replacement, so I snagged a pair of the Altras. I'm not much of a runner but occasionally I'll do a few trail miles with the dog. The shoes were mostly purchased for the gym and while the sole on mine is a bit soft for heavy lifting (I'm unsure of the model) , the fit and comfort is excellent. One evening when I was feeling froggy I went for a run in the new shoes. We didn't push it super hard and the trail was just a dirt two-track without any rocks or gnarly terrain and I felt pretty good after the fact. The next day my feet were absolutely wrecked. Especially my left foot, not surprising since my left knee occasionally gets irritated with me. For me, I think I need to look elsewhere for running shoes and I would definitely be skeptical of a similar boot in a hunting scenario.

YMMV

Tauntohawk

Lil-Rokslider
I wanted to try a zero drop shoe for some time and happened to find Altras on sale at a local retailer. My old Under Armours were pretty worn out and needed a replacement, so I snagged a pair of the Altras. I'm not much of a runner but occasionally I'll do a few trail miles with the dog. The shoes were mostly purchased for the gym and while the sole on mine is a bit soft for heavy lifting (I'm unsure of the model) , the fit and comfort is excellent. One evening when I was feeling froggy I went for a run in the new shoes. We didn't push it super hard and the trail was just a dirt two-track without any rocks or gnarly terrain and I felt pretty good after the fact. The next day my feet were absolutely wrecked. Especially my left foot, not surprising since my left knee occasionally gets irritated with me. For me, I think I need to look elsewhere for running shoes and I would definitely be skeptical of a similar boot in a hunting scenario.

YMMV
Most people need to condition themselves to zero drop shoes when it comes to running.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I was hoping the Altra Tusher would be available this summer but I just spoke to customer service at Altra and they will not be available until around January. This contradicts what I have read in most of the pre-reviews which were saying it would be available this summer. FYI

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
The next day my feet were absolutely wrecked. Especially my left foot, not surprising since my left knee occasionally gets irritated with me. For me, I think I need to look elsewhere for running shoes and I would definitely be skeptical of a similar boot in a hunting scenario.

YMMV

Your problem is that you have weak feet from them being in casts (shoes) your whole life, and you went running. Your tendons, ligament, bones, and muscles are not conditioned to actually carry, support, and stabilize your body because you’ve been using a crutch to do that so far.

What you need is to condition your feet by gradually working up to minimalist shoes.

I love my lone peaks. Just finished a 37 mile hike in the Pisgah National Forest/Art Loeb this week and they performed great. I’ve put over 200 miles on them on the AT and they’ve done well there too. I’m not carrying super heavy loads (20-25lbs) but they have held up as good as I could have hoped for.

toasty

FNG
I also have been wearing lone peaks for the last year. I wear them everyday at work and then in the outdoors for hiking, fishing, and hunting when I don't need waterproof or a lot of warmth because mine are neither waterproof or warm. Mine are still going strong 1 year later and they are the best shoe/boot I have ever worn and have really helped the foot issues I have had in the past. As far as the Tusher, I just talked to Altra and they are on schedule to release in January. If anybody gets these, please post up to help us know how they fit in relation to the lone peaks.

FYI this boot is now available. I’m waiting to see some reviews comparing it to the lone peak before I bite. Hoping the fit is similar but with some increased rigidity to help with side hilling.

RCL

WKR
I like my Lone Peaks, but will probably try a pair of Tushers if the reviews are favorable.

toasty

FNG
Well here is a first review for you guys. I have been wearing Lone Peak for the last 2 years everyday and love them. I purchased the Tushars last week and have wore them for 2 days. Just did one small 2 mile hike on the second day. Fit it pretty much identical to the Lone Peak for me, but there are some differences in feel. They are lined with thin memory foam in the sole which made them really comfortable since day one. Not sure how the memory foam will hold up though. They are more heavy duty, they have ballistic nylon on the tops and sides of the shoe and seem much more able to handle some nasty terrain. They are about 1.5" higher on the ankle which provide better support than the lone peaks. They have a waterproof membrane inside of the shoe that is the same as a pair of Meindl ultra light hikers I have which should be significantly better for waterproof, but I have not had them wet. They don't seam like they will be as breathable as the lone peaks, but it is still 30 degrees here so not way to tell yet. The big thing for me, is I wore them for an entire day on the first day and they felt great when I took them off, can not say that is true for any other shoe I have ever tried.

Did you buy them the same dat they came out or what? I could have sworn I didn't see them on their site when I looked recently, maybe 2 weeks ago.

Keep us posted as you get more miles on them. I'm gonna grab a pair before summer.

Well here is a first review for you guys. I have been wearing Lone Peak for the last 2 years everyday and love them. I purchased the Tushars last week and have wore them for 2 days. Just did one small 2 mile hike on the second day. Fit it pretty much identical to the Lone Peak for me, but there are some differences in feel. They are lined with thin memory foam in the sole which made them really comfortable since day one. Not sure how the memory foam will hold up though. They are more heavy duty, they have ballistic nylon on the tops and sides of the shoe and seem much more able to handle some nasty terrain. They are about 1.5" higher on the ankle which provide better support than the lone peaks. They have a waterproof membrane inside of the shoe that is the same as a pair of Meindl ultra light hikers I have which should be significantly better for waterproof, but I have not had them wet. They don't seam like they will be as breathable as the lone peaks, but it is still 30 degrees here so not way to tell yet. The big thing for me, is I wore them for an entire day on the first day and they felt great when I took them off, can not say that is true for any other shoe I have ever tried.
Toasty thanks for you first impressions. I’m assuming sizing for you is the same as your lone peaks? Also, if you get a chance to do some steep side hilling, I’d be very curious to hear your thoughts on the level of ankle support compared toy the lone peaks. Thanks again, they sound like a great advance.

RazAlGhoul

Lil-Rokslider
I have sort of wide feet and found the Vasque Breeze III (non goretex) boots in the ‘wide” model to be actually TOO wide. If you want room, get those. I have Asolo Neutrons in “wide” and don’t find them to be that wide overall, especially in the toe area. I also have some Altra Olympus 3 shoes, and I’d say the Vasques fit more like those than the Asolos, though not much on the market has the full “splayed toe” shape like the Altras.

toasty

FNG
Toasty thanks for you first impressions. I’m assuming sizing for you is the same as your lone peaks? Also, if you get a chance to do some steep side hilling, I’d be very curious to hear your thoughts on the level of ankle support compared toy the lone peaks. Thanks again, they sound like a great advance.

I wear a 8.5 to 9 in a normal boot, but had to go to a 9.5 for the lone peaks to get a good fit I matched that with the Tushar and they fit exactly the same way. I did a little bit of side hilling on my 2 mile and the angle support is clearly better than the lone peaks. Not as good as my 8" Meindl Ultralight, but there isn't a boot out there that is as good as those. I got mine at road runner sports ordered on Jan 2nd, they were not on altra site yet, but I called to confirm they they were really for sale before ordering. Depending on the deal they are around $170-$190.