New boot (Altra Tusher)

I’ve got 2 pair of Lone Peaks that are far from wore out. Those Tusher’s better be damn good because they sure aren’t going to win any points for appearance.

I’m on my 4th pair of Altra running shoes (Superior)... Broke an easy 1,750 miles in two pairs during 2017/18 before my hip started giving me trouble. I think they look like clown shoes and actually hurt the first few big runs (10+ miles)... but will I never use another shoe.

Been wishing for a hiking boot from them since I was enlightened and will definitely buy a pair or these ugly ass things sight unseen! Thanks for the post!

toasty

FNG
OK, I did another 4 mile hike last weekend and then I did a chukar hunt yesterday in my Tushars. 10 miles total, but did about 1 mile of side hilling on some really steep slope yesterday. It was about as steep as I can stand to hike on for any real distance. The good, feet felt just fine after the hikes, a lit bit of cramping in the foot after side hilling and climbing down 2 miles, but that is normal for me. The boots are waterproof as I was in the snow and slush for much of the hike without any issues. These things are light and it was a pleasure to climb with these on vs my much heavier meindls.

These did just OK on side hilling, I was able to go anywhere I wanted and the soles seemed stiff enough for the terrain, but I wanted a little more support in my ankles. There is no way my lone peaks could have done the hike, so they are superior to the lone peaks, but still not as good for support as an 8" high hiker. Some of the issues with side hilling could have been that is was wet and my footing was not sure much of that part of the hike. They probably would have felt better on dry hill.

I am still pleased with them and plan on doing all of my warm weather hunting in them.

Really appreciate the real world feedback, sounding good. Now I just have to keep on the lookout for a good sale on them.

toasty

FNG
If you sign up for the VIP club which costs $1.99 on road runner sports you get 10% off and then they have a popup that gives you another 10% off on the website every week or two. I ended up getting mine for $160 plus tax.

Just ordered a pair from Roadrunner. Got em for 161.00 shipped. Looking forward to trying them out.

EJFS

Lil-Rokslider
I love the Lone Peak mids for the wide toe box. Reviews on the Altra website seem to point towards the Tushar's having a different (less spacious) toe box. I'd love to hear how the fit compares to Altra's running shoes.

toasty

FNG
I love the Lone Peak mids for the wide toe box. Reviews on the Altra website seem to point towards the Tushar's having a different (less spacious) toe box. I'd love to hear how the fit compares to Altra's running shoes.

Not my experience. The 9.5 in the tushars have if anything a slightly larger toe box than my lone peak 3s.

If yo havenever wore Altrs you need to break yourself into them, i too ran on mine immediately and had a lot of soreness,, been wearing them now everyday last few years, and i will never wear another shoe, unless its my tibet or baffin, i hope this boot is good i will buy it,, i wish we could get a stiffer shanked altra

ledflight

WKR
This feed back / review is really helpful toasty. I have a few pairs of altras and have hunted easy, not backcountry terrain in mid and low Lone Peaks and love em.
Will consider the Tushar for sure now!

sneaky

"DADDY"
I really hope these are more durable than the loan peak mids. I've had every iteration of them and they all have been far from waterproof (or even water resistant) and not exactly durable for a hunter. Problem is, they're by far the most comfortable boot I've ever worn. I hope these are the answer although I'm skeptical.
They changed them to eVent after Altra was bought out by the investment group that also owns North Face.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
I wanted to try a zero drop shoe for some time and happened to find Altras on sale at a local retailer. My old Under Armours were pretty worn out and needed a replacement, so I snagged a pair of the Altras. I'm not much of a runner but occasionally I'll do a few trail miles with the dog. The shoes were mostly purchased for the gym and while the sole on mine is a bit soft for heavy lifting (I'm unsure of the model) , the fit and comfort is excellent. One evening when I was feeling froggy I went for a run in the new shoes. We didn't push it super hard and the trail was just a dirt two-track without any rocks or gnarly terrain and I felt pretty good after the fact. The next day my feet were absolutely wrecked. Especially my left foot, not surprising since my left knee occasionally gets irritated with me. For me, I think I need to look elsewhere for running shoes and I would definitely be skeptical of a similar boot in a hunting scenario.

YMMV
You have to give your feet and ligaments time to adjust to zero drop shoes. Don't buy them then go on a trail run, that's begging for problems.

sneaky

"DADDY"
FYI this boot is now available. I’m waiting to see some reviews comparing it to the lone peak before I bite. Hoping the fit is similar but with some increased rigidity to help with side hilling.
I've heard they are stiffer in the uppers, but a little more narrow through the forefoot area. Sounds like they need to do some adjusting to the fit on them compared to the Lone Peaks

ko3n3k3

FNG
Hopefully they'll release a wider version for my hobbit feet.

I guess i'll pick up another pair of lone peaks for next season. They lasted 2 years but with side hilling and extra weight my feet get pretty beat up.

psirus7

WKR
I’m on my 4th pair of Altra running shoes (Superior)... Broke an easy 1,750 miles in two pairs during 2017/18 before my hip started giving me trouble. I think they look like clown shoes and actually hurt the first few big runs (10+ miles)... but will I never use another shoe.
That is hilarious....I call my Altras (Torin) my "blue clown shoes". They are awesome though....I'm on my 4th pair. I definitely wish boot companies would get in on the zero-drop game!

i purchased the Tushar as well
only worn them around the house

for sure they are stiffer than the lonepeaks
super comfortable

Toasty nailed it,,,
toe box is larger than the lone peaks
which i don't mind, i also have a flat and low volume foot

forefoot area is same as far as i can tell

the sole is very comfortable and feels very grippy

Like toasty stated i do think this hiker will be perfect in every condition with the exception of EXTREME side hilling, which lets be honest is no fun in any boot,,its much stiffer than the lone peak, but not nearly as much as a Lowa Tibet, or Lowa Baffin

my only issue is with the ankle support area, they cut the event short and the upper around the ankle seems like it was unfinished to me, its a little rough, not much padding, and i can see marks left on my chicken legs when i take them off, I've worn them a fair bit in the house with weight in my pack and they feel great with that exception, hopefully it will break in a bit more,

this boot is for sure a step up from the lone peak and I'm sure i will like it

i wish it was a little stiffer in the sole not much but i think it will be a boot you can wear all day and not think about taking them off at end of day, just like the lone peaks, super comfortable.

*if you've never worn Altra, or Topo or any other zero drop shoe,YOU NEED TO SLOWLY BREAK INTO THEM,, LIKE MANY OTHERS HAVE STATED. wear them couple days a week to get your feet and tendons stretched out to them,, DON'T RUN IN THEM FOR A FEW WEEKS, AND WHEN YOU DO START SLOWLY

TxxAgg

WKR
I'm an altra fan so I just ordered a pair if these. They get here next week. I'm looking forward to trying them out.