New Boot Help

DanTesta

FNG
I am getting geared up for my first western hunt, I live in Ohio and tree stand hunt. I purchased my first pair of more of a western boot Crispi Summits in a 10.5 which is a half size bigger than my normal shoe but I am not sure if they are too small. They seem very comfortable and going down stairs my foot doesn’t shift, but if I tap the toe of the boot to the floor my toe bangs so I am not sure if I need a bigger size. Any thoughts?

nphunter

WKR
Loosing toenails from them banging on your boots sucks. It’s really whatever you think will work and how steep of mountains your hunting. I can kick my toe and barely touch in my Meindl’s but not in my Scarpas a-lot depends on the boot shape too.

The boots will get looser and you will have to cinch the laces tighter as they age. Typically the heel cup will wear in to the shape of your foot also which may give you slightly more room. I personally prefer a little more space but find with my Crispi’s a regular size wide version boot fits well. I wear a full size larger in Scarpa.
I also have a high volume foot, in my wide Crispi just tightening them normal my foot doesn’t tend to slide forward, same as Scarpa, my Meindl my foot easily slides forward and I really have to lock my heel in when traversing really steep terrain.

Phaseolus

WKR
You didn’t mention what kind of socks you were wearing. I like a thick pair of good socks with liners under them. My feet sweat a lot, regardless of socks, and my boots always shrink a bit over a three year period. if your toes can touch you are in trouble, most especially when carrying a heavy pack downhill.

gldenhwk

FNG
As someone who used to sell high end boots for a living for almost a decade, if your toes are touching with a minor tap against the floor they are either too small or you aren't lacing them properly .. either way .. bad news ..

To solve lacing, make sure the laces are tight, that your heal is sucked back into the heal cup, and there is no movement of the heal in the boot. There are a lot of good lacing guides on line to take a look at that might help.

If your foot is secure in the boot with the laces tight, you need to go up another 1/2 size .. each company has a different idea as to what a 10.5 so you can't just go by that.

Either way, if your toes are touching I wouldn't want to be hauling a heavy pack off a hill with my toes touching .. its good way to remove your toe nails

Tick

WKR
Go up a half size if you are going to be on a slope. I had the same problem last year. Comfortable fit except down hill with a pack. Took me longer going down hill than up. Went up a half size this year. New boots feel big, but has to be better than the toe pain I had last year.

Block

WKR
You didn’t mention what kind of socks you were wearing. I like a thick pair of good socks with liners under them. My feet sweat a lot, regardless of socks, and my boots always shrink a bit over a three year period. if your toes can touch you are in trouble, most especially when carrying a heavy pack downhill.

Dude I have noticed the same thing ! Most boots SHRINK on me in less than a year,,, tho I put probably equal miles as most will in 3..,, a few pairs of Salomons I LOVED and after 6 months they feel a 1/2 size smaller and can’t wear them...

I always like room for big socks when it's cold. I would also make sure your boots are laced up solid to do the "tap test".

JMDavies

WKR
I like a little room for different kinds of socks. Also, I know some boots can be stretched by a shoe repair store.