new boots, Kennetrek

Rock-o

WKR
I come out ahead but only by a few days. I'd win by much more if I liked the beach less. But *that* is crazy talk too!

Which ninja boots do you have?

Over there on the rocky terrain I started wearing Courteney Boots. They have a soft sole and are very quiet. I wore my Kenetreks hunting in Idaho for the four years they lasted. A boot should last longer, so I am trying the White’s Outdoorsman boots now. Many places in South Africa and Namibia where I have hunted are just rocks on top of rocks. I have plenty of pictures of it that I took my first trip because I knew I brother wouldn’t understand unless he saw it.

In my earlier posts I just pointed out that the Kenetreks were noisy in my experience. My PH from my first two African trips commented on boots that don’t work on that terrain. I even acknowledged that they were good boots in some applications. I didn’t expect the know it all smart ass comments from experts.

Rock-o

WKR
Over there on the rocky terrain I started wearing Courteney Boots. They have a soft sole and are very quiet. I wore my Kenetreks hunting in Idaho for the four years they lasted. A boot should last longer, so I am trying the White’s Outdoorsman boots now. Many places in South Africa and Namibia where I have hunted are just rocks on top of rocks. I have plenty of pictures of it that I took my first trip because I knew I brother wouldn’t understand unless he saw it.

In my earlier posts I just pointed out that the Kenetreks were noisy in my experience. My PH from my first two African trips commented on boots that don’t work on that terrain. I even acknowledged that they were good boots in some applications.
I understand your disappointment in your [Kenetrek] boots only lasting four years. Though even that statement is not very telling. Rhetorically speaking, do you put 10 miles on a pair of boots in a year or 1000? If it's the former (10 miles * 4 years = 40 miles) that's reason for disappointment but not if it's the latter (1000 miles * 4 years = 4000 miles). See the difference? It's not the duration that matters, it's the distance. But even distance alone is not very telling. Think snow vs shards of glass. I'm a thinker. Anyway.

Are you looking at White's boots as a replacement for Courteney? I am familiar with White's. Courteney Boots - I'm not familiar with them so thanks for sharing. I'm going to check them out.

You went on to say "Many places in South Africa and Namibia where I have hunted are just rocks on top of rocks.". I understand what you mean but it seems that no matter what boot is worn the noise would be the same walking on that. It's going to sound like rocks scratching and scraping together.

Sure, you pointed out something positive about Kenetreks early on but also knocked them without giving any useful info and simply said you wouldn't recommend them to anybody. Not making a "know it all smart ass" comment but do you now see how that didn't help anybody? Had you given useful info in your first post and answered questions the first time you were asked in subsequent posts than this exchange would have gone quite differently. Thank you for your last contribution.

tshunter

FNG
Jacknifejc, I know exactly what you are talking about. I have hunted South Africa multiple times and the rocky ground is unbelievable. I threw my Kenetreks in the garbage after the second day. They were just too noisy to sneak up on anything. It was frustrating for me and my PH. I wore my tennis shoes for the rest of my hunt. I also bought Courteney Boots for hunting over there. Their soft soles make them the perfect African hunting boot. Kenetreks might be okay here in the states, but I’ll never find out. When you pay big dollars for a hunt like you do in Africa you don’t want a pair of noisy boots ruining it for you.

tshunter

FNG
Hahaha. These guys and their “ninja” comments think they’re funny. They obviously have never hunted that type of area. That’s funny.

I still have my Courteney Boots that I wear exclusively in Africa. It’s not only the rocks on the rocks that make the noise. It’s hard soles on the rocks. The other guys who hunted with me bought yellow soled combat boots for our second trip. They were rather quiet boots too.

I bought my new White’s for hunting Idaho. I don’t know whether I like them yet or not, as they only have about 300 miles on them. I usually put 500 to 800 miles per year on a pair of hunting boots. The old Italian made Vasques and Meindls always got me about eight years. The Keketreks didn’t get me four years. I hope the White’s last.

OP
fort fireman
Ok, I don't have my boots yet. They were on back order but I should have them shortly. I'm just curious , those of you that run the mountain extremes, do you run them as is or do you add insoles like super feet or anything along those lines. I'm going to wait and see how they are but I'm just wondering what I can expect.

KurtR

WKR
Ok, I don't have my boots yet. They were on back order but I should have them shortly. I'm just curious , those of you that run the mountain extremes, do you run them as is or do you add insoles like super feet or anything along those lines. I'm going to wait and see how they are but I'm just wondering what I can expect.

I have flat arches and the supplied foot bed hurt my feet so i got the super feet guides and fixed that problem. Never hunted africa so dont know about the noise problem but for Idaho and South Dakota no problem sneaking up on stuff

keller

WKR
Got some 400 mt extremes left foot feels good right foot feels like I'm stepping on something like a half round toilet paper roll on the inside of my arch.is that how yours felt with flat arches?
I have flat arches and the supplied foot bed hurt my feet so i got the super feet guides and fixed that problem. Never hunted africa so dont know about the noise problem but for Idaho and South Dakota no problem sneaking up on stuff

KurtR

WKR
Got some 400 mt extremes left foot feels good right foot feels like I'm stepping on something like a half round toilet paper roll on the inside of my arch.is that how yours felt with flat arches?

Ya kind of just put to much up pressure on my arches. Like there is something balled up under there

OP
fort fireman
I got my boots yesterday and so far I love them. I've been wearing them a good bit doing chores and such and they feel good so far and that is with no break in so far. I have until late october to get them right for my Montana elk hunt.

Quant

FNG
I got my boots yesterday and so far I love them. I've been wearing them a good bit doing chores and such and they feel good so far and that is with no break in so far. I have until late october to get them right for my Montana elk hunt.

The Mountain Extremes are great boots. They do take a while to break in, but you’ll really appreciate the support when you have a lot of weight on your back.

bonepoint

FNG
Interesting on the Kennetreks sole being too hard. A few hunting buddies that have them like them, but did say they thought the sole was too soft because the tread wore out quicker than other boots.

Rock-o

WKR
I have a pair of Kenetreks (Mountain Extreme) and a pair of Crispis (Hunter). The Kenetrek sole is softer.

Kyle Avey

WKR
I’ve been really happy with my kenetreks. Had 2 pairs of meindl Denali s before these. Like the kenetreks better.

Right now I’m running the White’s Outdoorsman boots. I haven’t made up my mind on them. I put about 200 miles on them last fall. I have had a pair of Meindls. I liked them more than the Kenetreks. I have been wearing Courteney boots my last three trips to Africa. I like them for that application, but they would be useless here in Idaho. I’m still searching for my ideal hunting boots. I have a custom pair on order. They should be done in another month.