New boots

I do on my Lowa Hunter GTX Extreme boots. I like to give them treatment after 6 moths or so to help keep them waterproof, treating and conditioning the leather even though they have Gortex. Using a product similar to LOWA Water Stop seems to work well for me.

I treated them right out of the box from day one and it's help keep them in great shape for multiple seasons now.

B

bearguide

kenetrek sends waterproofing with there boots which works great

tstowater

WKR
I do what the maker recommends before I wear them. Only way to insure that it will work. Continue to treat when necessary and boots will last longer. Too expensive to not handle correctly.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I follow the REI method Kevin linked above. I do not treat boots like the Hanwag Mountain Lights right out of the box, because I do not want to interfere with the factory DWR.

At the first sign of DWR loss, I treat.

EXCEPT traditional all-leather boots receive a leather treatment right out of the box.

bowinhand

WKR
Usually treat leather boots before I wear them in the field or off trail by the manufacturers recommendations or email/call the manufacturer and ask them if a particular product is safe on their product, most times they are knowledgeable. My "daily drivers" I that are fabric and leather I wait until the factory DWR has worn off before treating as stated above.