New bow after 25 years lol

Nealm66

Lil-Rokslider
Been wanting to get back into archery, put some new stuff on my very old bow about 10 years ago and shot it for tiny bit but man, these new bows are so sweet. Looked around a little bit and decided to go with a Hoyt rx-5 ultra where the dealers been there for about 30 years. He said my form was crap lol. Was interesting to see the changes in how they tune with a machine and he never even shot paper. Had to let the glue dry so I couldn’t shoot it same day and won’t get a chance till next weekend. Had to watch a YouTube video on how to set the sight up. Been really into long range shooting but it’s expensive and time consuming. Pretty excited. Going up to a buddies house to get the rust off my joints

4rcgoat

WKR
Have fun,these new bows are fun to shoot. Upgraded my 05 lx with a halon 32 couple years ago and love it.

OP
Nealm66

Nealm66

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks, Just realized my old bow was from 1987 , so 35 years! I think the most noticeable improvement they’ve made in that time is how quiet they shoot and the let off. Man, it’s like holding back nothing and my old bow at least was super loud when it was released. Will shoot it this weekend for the first time outside of the bow shop. Going to take it to a range where it’s flat and they have targets out to 100 so I can get my pins set up. Man, the sights sure have gotten complicated.

OP
Nealm66

Nealm66

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been shooting the crap out of mine. Really enjoying it. Still a little wobbly from being out of shape but keeping them inside 6” @ 60 unless I screw up. Really helps being able to shoot at home. Ended up buying a new release , hog something or other. Doesn’t help my wobble but the purple makes me feel more professional

I just did the same thing. Had my old bow from high school. Bought a used RX 4 off the classifieds and man is it night and day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Nealm66

Nealm66

Lil-Rokslider
I hear ya. I keep thinking I need to let my shoulders heal up a bit but I keep going out and shooting lol. My groups today were pretty bad lol. I’ve been leaving the quiver on which isn’t helping but I really want to strengthen quickly. Problem is I’m old lol, doesn’t work like it did 30 years ago

MadMarkie

FNG
After getting skunked on rifle tags this year, I decided to do the same thing and get back into bowhunting. Bought a new Ventum 33 and am absolutely blown away at the progress the industry has made. That's in comparison to my old Chuck Adams style Hoyt with round wheels and 50% let-off though....

My stoke for late season archery deer here in AZ is off the charts... haven't been this fired up in forever! My form seems to be coming back pretty well, but it sure is slower than it once was.

OP
Nealm66

Nealm66

Lil-Rokslider
Not sure what I’m doing wrong here lately, it’s my very first time using a peep sight and it’s taking some adjustment lol.

OP
Nealm66

Nealm66

Lil-Rokslider
"Let the glue dry"? On a new bow? Where was the glue?
Ha, it was the arrows. Now that you mention it, funny how things have came in full circle. Tried to sell me the little carbon ones where the insert was on the outside. They had those little things back 30 years ago on the little graphite arrows. They didn’t stay on for shiat. Granted, I was shooting a 105# Pearson spoiler into cedar bales but I doubt if these new ones would stay on any better. Man they were fast though

A few years back I needed to replace the cables on my old Browning Detonator and found out that those metal cables are no longer available. lol Decided to change the cams and upgraded to a new cable system using Diamond Infinite Edge cams and have some new strings built. Bow shoots like a dream at 70lbs. Decided this year to upgrade to a new bow and shot a number of bows and came down to a Solution or V3. These were incredible shooters with very tight groups. That Browning cam from the early 90’s and is hard to give up. Bows have gotten pretty expensive and sophisticated and I am a little concerned as I am in my 60’s now and not sure how much longer the Lord will bless me with the abilities to hunt. Congrats on your new set up.

BBob

WKR
@Grizz2bear Ha! I still have a 30ish year old Frankenbow too. A custom machined riser with Barnsdale limbs and High Country hatchet cams. It’s still a bit faster than these modern bows and still a good shooter. I still take it out for some 3D shoots. PSE and Hoyt in later years both built surprisingly close bows to it. Downside for hunting is it’s much longer ATA, louder and a touch jumpier in the hand. The long ATA isn’t as maneuverable in tight spots and at 62-63ish let off it’s not as easy to hold and wait for a shot on game as the new bows.

OP
Nealm66

Nealm66

Lil-Rokslider
The 14 year old neighbor boy came over and shot with me today. I blame him and his dad for getting back into it which I’m sure glad they did. I’m not sure what kind of bow he was shooting but it was pretty fast. He wasn’t really shooting that great and I noticed a few things that seemed to help a bit. Got him pinned out to 50 and he was pretty happy about that. I robin hooded an arrow which @ $12 wasn’t as happy moment it should have been. Hoping I can get them both shooting good and do some 3D shoots and I might take the boy out so he can stick a deer next year