"New" bow choices

I currently run a PSE Evolve 31. Held a V3 27 and was really impressed by how it balanced for a small bow. Never shot one though.

I am looking to buy a used Mathews from the last couple of years. I'm interested in the Traverse, VXR 31.5, and a V3 31.

How will the draw cycles compare to the Evolve cam? Last Mathews I had was a Drenalin Solo Cam.

Uses will be elk hunting out west every now and then and shooting 3d with my buddies.

Looking for most stable hold and smooth draw.

I would say V3X 33 but its draw length won't go low enough for my 27"

What can you guys recommend based on what you have used out of the three mentioned above?

DooleyVT

Lil-Rokslider
I switched to a V3 31 this offseason from a Prime CT5. I like the V3 but I'm still trying to get used to it. I didn't care for the grip, the draw cycle feels stiff and it seems top heavy to me. It is super quiet, vibration free and holds and shoots well after adding new strings, a Torqueless custom grip, 15" front stabilizer and a weighted back bar. The switchweight mods are a great option with the ability to run #50 for 3D, #60 for treestand hunts and #70 for Western hunts with the same bow. I don't have any experience with the Evolve cam but it certainly has received some good grades. Lots of good options out there so shoot as many different bows as you can before deciding!

OP
Shootinsurveyor
Buddy has a Halon 32 which seems top heavy also but shoots well. Was hoping one of the choices I listed was just a lighter version of it honestly. The switch weight stuff seems convenient also. I will probably run the new bow at 50 for a bit just to get used to it so draw isn't a huge concern.

fatlander

WKR
The evolve is smoother, slower, and louder than all the others bows you’ve mentioned. The CC cam bows have a hump, but you get used to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a 27" Draw as well, the VXR 28 is easily the best bow Ive used for that DL. The v3 27 and V3x 29 didnt feel any different and the vxr was a few FPS faster. I have 3 of em set up at difference #s and letoffs, I might be willing to part with 1. Maybe.

But compared to the evolve cam, the Mathews bows will not feel nearly as smooth. I will say that once you get used to the draw curve, a Mathews isnt as aggressive as it feels the first few times you shoot it. But even then it still wont really sniff the smoothness of the evolve cam. The PSE will be louder on the shot as well.

I think if I did grab a new bow this year it would be a Prime Inline 1 or maybe the Bowtech CP28, but still didnt like either better that the VXR.

I don't know that any of the bows you mentioned will truly be an upgrade over your current bow, but if you want to switch it up just for fun that's your perogative. The Evolve SE or E2 cams would give you a noticeable speed increase at your draw length.

OP
Shootinsurveyor
I don't know that any of the bows you mentioned will truly be an upgrade over your current bow, but if you want to switch it up just for fun that's your perogative. The Evolve SE or E2 cams would give you a noticeable speed increase at your draw length.
I'm shallow in that I like how the Mathews look better. Maybe if my favorite YT stars were using a bow from 2017 I would like it better. All of the Mathews are around the same speed as my PSE. I got 240FPS with a 500gr arrow at 60lbs and 27" draw from my PSE which isn't bad.

The Mathews should have a better string angle due to the longer risers.

Don't judge me:) Can't a guy just want something new.

The Vertix and the V3X 29 are about the same bow, difference being that one has a centered cable guard and the bridge lock sight system. Personally I really likes the centered cable guard as it gives dead even cam rotation, but some have issues with vane clearance. You can't use the tallest profile vanes that well I guess, I haven't had any clearance issues with my X.

I am also in a minority of not liking the Pse draw cycle. It doesn't have a hump, it's a really linear draw, but it pulls hard starting in the first 1/2" for me. I feel the same thing with the new Hoyt, just what I'm used to. Tho the SW cams seem to be a lot more harsh at 70# than the 65 I usually use, at least in the shorter versions. The 33 that I shot a bit/tuned wasn't bad at all @ 70# for my feel.

For reference I played with a V3X 29 with a 492 grain arrow. It was drawing an actual 73#, had E mods which are supposed to be 28", but per usual they were long. This one actually measured 28 9/16, so little longer than usual. Might be that if the cables settled in a bit it would have been closer on DL and DW. Or the string was just on the long side, it was straight out of the box for the most part. Anyways, it averaged 268.8 fps. At 27" you will loose 15 fps (1.5" shorter) then another 18-24 fps I'd guess for the 13# of draw weight. So that's dropping you below the 240fps you are shooting currently.

The string angle is a function of brace height, cam height, and ATA, the longer riser won't do anything for string angle.

If I were you I'd probably look for a V3 31, if you really want to make the switch. Keep in mind you likely want a 26.5 mod on whatever Mathews to actually have a 27" DL.