New bow fun!

Felton

WKR
I’ve been shooting a Mathews switchback xt for 5 or so years now. My string was pretty frayed at the end of this last season so I started to getting back into the business of archery component shopping. After looking around I found what I wanted and where I wanted it from, so I purchased a new string that just so happen to come with a bow attached to it. Lol

Anyhow I picked up a nib Hoyt helix turbo from fleabay, outfitted it with a Hamskea trinity, Spot Hogg xl double pin, Hoyt quiver, and crossroads 821 stabilizer. I wanted to go with a heavier arrow so I settled on the CE d-stroyer piledriver 350 spine cut to 27 1/4” and a 100 gr brass insert.

It took me a little fiddling to get the hamskea close to where it needs to be (I still need to paper tune it), but it is stacking arrows on top of each other. It feels effortless and natural. First group at 20 yards I broke a nock. I think to myself it’s shooting good enough I can step back to 30 and then 40 and dang sure if I don’t split an arrow on the first group at 40. I am hesitant to shoot at those spots on the edge of my target because with my Mathews I either hit about where I’m aiming or 4-5 inches left. I believe it’s the grip on the Mathews, though comfortable, it’s rounded and hard for me to consistently hold it exactly the same every single time.

Now in my journey to getting a new bow and setting it up, I had a bow shop get the correct mod for me and install it. I was going to have them add a drop away rest. At the time I was leaning towards a lower end QAD partially because of cost. The shop was immediately trying to upsell me to a hamskea trinity. They quoted me a higher price than anywhere online. I expected to pay retail but I had a hard time swallowing $245 for the trinity so I found one on line for less than they were going to sell the QAD to me for. Part of my thinking there came from them trying to upsell me, “it’s such a great rest, it’s so easy to install, tune and adjust.” They ultimately swayed me to order one and do it myself.

So far I’m happy with my new setup. Now I wonder if my switchback is out of tune? I am shooting the Hoyt so much better than the Mathews. It could be the Mathews is a little short for me?

The one thing that keeps floating around in my mind is I went from a “slow” Mathews to a “fast” Hoyt. Kinda the opposite of how I think of the two companies.

Last edited:

MidwestElkHutner

Lil-Rokslider
Mathews have a tendency to be about a 1/2" long in their listed draw length. So, a 28" mod actually produces around a 28.5" draw length. If you got the hoyt in the same draw length, you are actually probably shooting a shorter draw length. Your draw length may have been too long. This could account for the accuracy differences. Or as you mentioned, the hoyt may just fit you better, grip, brace height, draw length, etc. Either way...enjoy the new bow and STOP shooting groups!!!! That can get costly!!

Shadowcaster

Lil-Rokslider
I guess I've always thought of mathews as silent, smooth and slow... that being said I've never owned nor shot one enough to know any different. I thought hoyt has generally been faster.

OP
Felton

Felton

WKR
It’s funny you mention that. That makes a lot of sense.

My switchback seemed a little short. (27 in dl) My dads bow seemed a little long (29 in dl Hoyt.) But neither felt over 1/2 inch in the wrong direction. I went with a 28 inch dl on the Hoyt.

When the bow shop was measuring me he said my DL was 27.5 inches. I got the feeling he wasn’t happy I bought a bow outside his shop and was having him work on it.

Got the Hoyt all tuned up today at lunch!

99282DC2-F643-4933-9661-5EA375796209.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
Felton

Felton

WKR
I guess I've always thought of mathews as silent, smooth and slow... that being said I've never owned nor shot one enough to know any different. I thought hoyt has generally been faster.
You may very well be right. I just remember Mathews slogan “Catch us if you can!”

Years ago I always felt like they were the ones pushing the envelope. That may not be the case now.