New Bow Hunter in AZ seeking guidance.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Robby, I just finished reading Dwight schuh's book, thanks for bringing it up! It's one of the most informative deer books I have read also a unique(really good) writing style. So THANKS!

Thanks for reminding me how good that book is. Glad you enjoyed it. I need to dig up mine.
That is the book that started it all for me on the archery mule deer end and got me interested in good outdoor writing

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for reminding me how good that book is. Glad you enjoyed it. I need to dig up mine.
That is the book that started it all for me on the archery mule deer end and got me interested in good outdoor writing

He definitely shares his passion for both in the book. Very knowledgable person and a true pleasure to turn the page.

SDHNTR

WKR
All good advice here and it does sound like you have servicable optics, but don't forget about the tripod. Good binos become great when used on a tripod. and great ones become incredible. The tripod and head assembly is just as important as the optics IMO. You need to be comfortable and you need the binos steady to pick up the detail required for truly effective glassing. You simply cannot achieve this by hand holding.

OP
I

IZZY

FNG
I have been purchasing most of my gear with advice from the folks on this forum...unfortunately I can't afford the Kaibab binos by vortex so I went with the Vortex Viper HD 15X50...SDHNTR I got a set of Cabelas Alta Series Vanguard Tripods...so we'll see how it goes...currently have about 1500 saved up for the bow and accessories I know I can get a good bow and rig for cheaper, but I definately don't want to skimp and might has well have the extra cash after the set up for other things...All I am waiting for now is for this deployment to be over and I will be visiting both the PSE archery shop and Bull Basin in Tucson to try out some bows that were recommended by you all...in the mean time, am still waiting to see if I got any of those left over Javalina tags for February...depending on how comfortable I feel, I might use the opportunity to go out and practice on those....Thanks again for all the advice

rpm4463

Lil-Rokslider
If you are interested in hunting coues deer, I suggest taking advantage of the January archery season and using tree stands. The rut is usually middle of January. One of my buddies grew up in Wisconsin bow hunting whitetails and harvested several P&Y deer there. He started hunting in AZ about 8 years ago and discovered there are enough trees to support treestands in some coues deer habitat. We usually don't put the stands very high in the trees because most of the trees are not strait enough to go over 7-10 feet, but the deer never notice. I've gone with him twice and we hunted in the Chiricauas (sorry for the spelling). He has about a 75% success rate.

good luck!

OP
I

IZZY

FNG
If you are interested in hunting coues deer, I suggest taking advantage of the January archery season and using tree stands. The rut is usually middle of January. One of my buddies grew up in Wisconsin bow hunting whitetails and harvested several P&Y deer there. He started hunting in AZ about 8 years ago and discovered there are enough trees to support treestands in some coues deer habitat. We usually don't put the stands very high in the trees because most of the trees are not strait enough to go over 7-10 feet, but the deer never notice. I've gone with him twice and we hunted in the Chiricauas (sorry for the spelling). He has about a 75% success rate.

good luck!
RPM..Unit 34A is my number one choice for spots to hunt deer (only source I have has been research online), however, I am more interested in mule deer mainly because I have heard that they are easier to hunt versus the cues deer..Chiricahuas looks good according to the AZ game and fish site, but as we all know you need boots on the ground...I must say though, I never thought of tree stand hunts mainly because I have always thought you need to be higher up in the trees, but I guess you have luck with just 7-10 feet off the ground, so that might be something I throw into my trick bag....thanks for the tip...

rpm4463

Lil-Rokslider
Tree stands worked in the Chiricahuas simply because there were enough trees...and not many people use this method for coues deer. I've had deer walk with thier head about two feet below my boots. This may not be true in other areas. If your stand is located lower on the mountains near the prairies you will also see mule deer under your stand.

good luck