New Bow. New Archer. Old Questions.

Krieg Hetzen

Lil-Rokslider
Disclaimer: I’ve searched almost nonstop for a couple weeks trying to absorb all the beginner tips, Do’s/Don’t of using a bow.

For Background: I recently picked up a Bowtech Carbon Icon with a 27” draw set at 65lbs. I also picked up 6 Easton Bloodlines with a 330 spine cut at 28” with 100gr field points to practice (396gr total arrow weight). My plan with the bow is to have something to do all winter (I can shoot from my garage) and to use it starting in April/May to hunt for black bear and then for Caribou and Moose in August/September. I do spot/stalk hunting most of the time with some still hunting.
Beyond the minimum to get ceritified in Alaska to hunt big game with a bow, what is an acceptable accuracy goal?
For hunting arrows I plan to use some 3 blade fixed COC BH (most likely G5 montecs) for black bear and caribou in the 100gr to 125gr weight range. For moose I want to use a 2 blade fixed COC BH like a Muzzy Stinger or Iron Will, both in the 100gr to 125gr weight range. To achieve 500gr and an adequate FOC I’d just need the 75gr brass insert with a 125gr BH? My math puts me just over 15% FOC with that setup (assuming I go with 330 bloodlines, blazer fletching and the Easton nock insert).
Or should I look at a stiffer/heavier arrow (300 spine) with weighted inserts and 100gr BH to keep my FOC a littler lower?
Is there any significant cleaning/maintenance to do on one of the bows? My dad claims you wax the strings and other than keeping it clear and free of debris I’m not sure what else there is to do.

Thanks in advance for your help and patience.

OR Archer

WKR
The bloodline is a good shaft but I’d opt for an Axis 300 with the brass insert and 100gr head. I’m not a fan of the Montecs. Better options out there.
As far as maintenance check the bolts regularly. Especially on the mods. Also change the strings every couple of years.
You’re on the right path so stay on it.

Zspires94

FNG
First off, welcome to the life of bowhunting.

As far as accuracy goes you want to be confident you can put an arrow into the vitals at what ever distance you’re shooting from. I personally tend to practice at double the distance id ever shoot, i.e 60 is about my max I’d ever take a shot in a hunting scenario due to the magnitude of things that can happen during arrow flight. That being said I can comfortably shoot 100 plus consistently.

Another thing to be aware of when using fixed blades your bow will need to be paper tuned. An out of tuned bow can shoot field points perfectly but miss by a foot at 20 yards with broadheads.
330 spine is plenty stiff enough for your set up and I would go for more in the 13% range FOC. 75gr of brass and 125gr head is a lot of weight up front.

Cleaning is pretty self explanatory really just make sure you get any moisture and/or dust off. I wax my string every now and again but I’m probably not the best when it comes to cleaning things. I typically don’t clean my guns until they start to malfunction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2blade

WKR
To achieve 500gr and an adequate FOC I’d just need the 75gr brass insert with a 125gr BH? My math puts me just over 15% FOC with that setup (assuming I go with 330 bloodlines, blazer fletching and the Easton nock insert).

This arrow set up comes in at about 475 grs. An Axis 340 would hit 491 but more weight up front will weaken the spine to much. A 150gr head on the Bloodline would come in at 492 and that is the limit as well or you will be to weak spined. If you went with a 28" 330 bloodline, 150gr head, 75gr insert, and Bohning 3" Xvanes you will hit 505grs and according to OT2, the spine is perfect.

jmez

WKR
An acceptable accuracy goal is to be able to place ALL of your arrows within the kill zone diameter of the game you are hunting at various distances.

You will hear the 1 inch per 10 yards number on accuracy a lot. Good goal to shoot for but one that not many can actually accomplish so don't get frustrated. If you can do that consistently at longer distances that is world class shooting. You also have to be precise as well as accurate. Precision is tight groups. Accuracy is those tight groups landing where you are aiming. Neither is any good alone.

Btaylor

WKR
Only thing I would add to to what OR and jmez posted is that the ability to shoot indoors through your winter months will be a huge boost for you if you use that time well. I would encourage you to watch a bunch of the vids about shooting form on Nock On(John Dudley) and spend a good bit of time working on form on a blank bale. If you really get your form dialed in during the winter months it will make life more fun when you get outside and start stretching the distances out.

Welcome. I am pretty new to bow hunting and just came up that curve myself. Starting my 4th season. A few thoughts.

Arrows - you may be overthinking it. Get a good shaft and a good fixed blade that flies well with you rig. That minted is a good start. Practice with that until you are pretty good. Branch out from there through experimentation.

Accuracy - stretch your practice out as far as you can. Shoot with time pressure. Sitting. Kneeling. Standing in weird ways like you would if you had your feet on a rock or up a hill. It will help. On animals real world things like bad stances and target panic and buck fever will be factors. Keep the shots short. More margin of error. Less than 20 yards and in is good. 30 is OK. 40 is my cap on season 4. Good hits are very good. Clean misses are good. Bad hits are very bad. You will miss. You will wound animals that you won’t recover. These are facts of hunting. More so with a bow. Do what you can to avoid it. Take responsible shots.

Maintenance - keep your bow clean and dry. Check the bolt but don’t tighten the ones that will move the limbs and impact poundage etc. a paint pen and some register marks are worth a few minutes of time. Stuff will shoot loose on sights or what not. After you have a few hundred arrows through it, take it to the shop and get them to check the timing. Strings stretch. The bow will settle in. They may need to tweak it a bit and just make sure all is good.

Good luck and have fun.

Last edited:
OP
Krieg Hetzen

Krieg Hetzen

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the input. It’s definitly opened my eyes to a bit more options. Looking forward to busy winter of shooting and getting prepped for spring bead!