New bow/ or Restring

peterk123

WKR
I think I’m at the point where if I buy a new bow I would be much better off. It looks like my bow is from 1996. I went and shot a Mathews vxr tonight that wasn’t even close to setup for me and it felt amazing compared to mine. But that’s also double the budget I’m trying to stick with.
Wow, ya that is an oldie. I would have to say there have been huge advances since then. I do not get all caught up in the speed thing. For me it is all about how easy it is to draw it back. When I am in a tree and it is 32 degrees for several hours, my muscles just do not work. I really struggled with getting over the hump with the old glory. That really bothered me. So I took the plunge and got the Realm X because I was told that the draw cycles really improved a lot since 2005. It is real. They are so much smoother. I can be cold and I can draw the bow now. That to me was a game changer. I should be good for another 15 years now :)

The other thing I will say is that bows are getting much easier to tune. Even an idiot like me can get field points and broadheads to shoot perfect. It may take me an entire day watching youtube vids, but I can do it.

OP
Dopedude

Dopedude

FNG
Wow, ya that is an oldie. I would have to say there have been huge advances since then. I do not get all caught up in the speed thing. For me it is all about how easy it is to draw it back. When I am in a tree and it is 32 degrees for several hours, my muscles just do not work. I really struggled with getting over the hump with the old glory. That really bothered me. So I took the plunge and got the Realm X because I was told that the draw cycles really improved a lot since 2005. It is real. They are so much smoother. I can be cold and I can draw the bow now. That to me was a game changer. I should be good for another 15 years now :)

The other thing I will say is that bows are getting much easier to tune. Even an idiot like me can get field points and broadheads to shoot perfect. It may take me an entire day watching youtube vids, but I can do it.
My shoulders do tend to hurt on those cold days as well. I’m going to try the bow tech revolt and revolt x tomorrow hopefully(depending on snowfall) to see if I like these bows in the #70lb variant. Im way over my budget but if I can buy from a dealer they will help me setup and tune the bow to get me started. I looked online and found several excellent deals, but ultimately the knowledge and assistance from a dealer will help me out the most. Have you had any dealings with customer service at bowtech? That’s another topic I will need to research.

Elkhntr08

WKR
The issue with a High Country is they’re out of business. You could spend a couple hundred getting it restrung and then a limb crack. Now you’ve got a pile of junk with new threads.
Put it on eBay or Archery Talk, be honest, and sell it. Then go shop hopping with cash in hand.

OP
Dopedude

Dopedude

FNG
The issue with a High Country is they’re out of business. You could spend a couple hundred getting it restrung and then a limb crack. Now you’ve got a pile of junk with new threads.
Put it on eBay or Archery Talk, be honest, and sell it. Then go shop hopping with cash in hand.
I definitely agree with this. I had a rebound and drive to get back into the sport. Hoping to get away cheap I realize now that I would be wasting money on my bow at this point. I’m beyond this looking forward now onto new things/ new bow.
I’m just trying to learn on what to look for when buying the bow. Or I will just end up with another bow that’s meh okay, and walk away from the sport again.

OP
Dopedude

Dopedude

FNG
I definitely agree with this. I had a rebound and drive to get back into the sport. Hoping to get away cheap I realize now that I would be wasting money on my bow at this point. I’m beyond this looking forward now onto new things/ new bow.
I’m just trying to learn on what to look for when buying the bow. Or I will just end up with another bow that’s meh okay, and walk away from the sport

peterk123

WKR
My shoulders do tend to hurt on those cold days as well. I’m going to try the bow tech revolt and revolt x tomorrow hopefully(depending on snowfall) to see if I like these bows in the #70lb variant. Im way over my budget but if I can buy from a dealer they will help me setup and tune the bow to get me started. I looked online and found several excellent deals, but ultimately the knowledge and assistance from a dealer will help me out the most. Have you had any dealings with customer service at bowtech? That’s another topic I will need to research.
I have never needed Bowtech's customer service; and I've been shooting their bows since 2005. I think their quality is excellent, as is Matthews, and the other major players. I'm sure their support is excellent as well.

Just to put into perspective on how good these modern bows are..... I was shooting in my yard this Spring. Arrow after arrow. You know to the point where you are not even thinking about it. Well, I did not realize that I did not nock an arrow. Drew it back and shot. Made a funny sound, had no idea where the "arrow" went, and then it hit me what I did. I put the bow in my vice and went over the whole thing. Nothing was impacted. Did not even go out of tune. I couldn't believe it. I probably have shot a 1000 arrows since then. That's how good the bows are made today. Pretty impressive.