New bow/ or Restring

Dopedude

FNG
I’m new to archery hunting, I bought a high country bow used about 7 years back shot it and liked it, but it’s been now sitting unused for 5 years now. What does it cost to have a older bow like this fixed up/restrung and ready to hunt? Am I better off using those funds to buy a brand new entry level bow again? What are some good options in the $500-$700 range? I draw 30” and still healthy enough to pull 70lbs. I really appreciate any guidance you may have.

wayoh22

WKR
It'd be worth your while to bring it to your local bow shop and have them inspect everything. Each shop is going to have different rates for tuning and what not so I don't believe that'd be a question that could be accurately answered here.

As for the bow, if it still shoots fine and maybe just needs a new set of strings and retuned then it'd be substantially less money for you than going out and getting a new bow new or used.

OP
Dopedude

Dopedude

FNG
It'd be worth your while to bring it to your local bow shop and have them inspect everything. Each shop is going to have different rates for tuning and what not so I don't believe that'd be a question that could be accurately answered here.

As for the bow, if it still shoots fine and maybe just needs a new set of strings and retuned then it'd be substantially less money for you than going out and getting a new bow new or used.
The local shop I went to made it seem like it wasn’t worth putting strings on an old bow. He was guiding me towards a used Mathews which was $700 But it needed to get tuned up. Being new to archery, it’s hard to ask questions and know what to look for when buying equipment. Sometimes I feel like these shops take advantage of newbies like my self and try to swindle a sale instead of giving out advice. That’s why I posted on here looking for some unbiased knowledge before I continue this venture. Thanks for your input, I appreciate it.

wayoh22

WKR
The local shop I went to made it seem like it wasn’t worth putting strings on an old bow. He was guiding me towards a used Mathews which was $700 But it needed to get tuned up. Being new to archery, it’s hard to ask questions and know what to look for when buying equipment. Sometimes I feel like these shops take advantage of newbies like my self and try to swindle a sale instead of giving out advice. That’s why I posted on here looking for some unbiased knowledge before I continue this venture. Thanks for your input, I appreciate it.
Well that sounds like that shop was trying to upsale you. Is there another shop you can possibly bring it to to get a second opinion and compare? Not sure you're whereabouts but that's an option to explore.

Could also try selling your bow and using those fund to buy a used one and then go from there. Lots of great deals on perfectly fine bows in the classifieds on archerytalk and even ebay if you're on top of it.

OP
Dopedude

Dopedude

FNG
Well that sounds like that shop was trying to upsale you. Is there another shop you can possibly bring it to to get a second opinion and compare? Not sure you're whereabouts but that's an option to explore.

Could also try selling your bow and using those fund to buy a used one and then go from there. Lots of great deals on perfectly fine bows in the classifieds on archerytalk and even ebay if you're on top of it.
Yeah my bow needs a string, it’s really fuzzy and I don’t even dare pull the thing. I wouldn’t want to pawn it off on someone. To me it was a restring or scrap the bow and keep the sight, arrows and case. There are a couple of shops south But are couple hours away. I haven’t reached out to them yet. I need to get my knowledge up a little more before I purchase another bow. I will head over to archerytalk
and check the classifieds. Thanks for the tip,

wayoh22

WKR
Yeah my bow needs a string, it’s really fuzzy and I don’t even dare pull the thing. I wouldn’t want to pawn it off on someone. To me it was a restring or scrap the bow and keep the sight, arrows and case. There are a couple of shops south But are couple hours away. I haven’t reached out to them yet. I need to get my knowledge up a little more before I purchase another bow. I will head over to archerytalk
and check the classifieds. Thanks for the tip,
I mean you could still sell the bow and make the buyer informative that it'll need a new string and account for the cost difference in the price you sell for.

jmez

WKR
Probably run $150-$200 to have it restrung, looked over and tuned would be my guess.

Which model High Country is the bow? Those hatchet cams they used were LOUD.

OP
Dopedude

Dopedude

FNG
I mean you could still sell the bow and make the buyer informative that it'll need a new string and account for the cost difference in the price you sell for.
I have no clue what it’s worth. It’s a high county Excalibur. Any idea on uts worth bare bow and case?

OP
Dopedude

Dopedude

FNG
Probably run $150-$200 to have it restrung, looked over and tuned would be my guess.

Which model High Country is the bow? Those hatchet cams they used were LOUD.
Excalibur, and yes I remember the bow being pretty loud.

OR Archer

WKR
A new set of strings would be more than the bow is actually worth honestly. If it’s in your budget I would look at upgrading your set up and leaving the HC as a back up.

OP
Dopedude

Dopedude

FNG
Any recommendations on another bow 500-700 range? Or am I expecting too much for so little.

Any recommendations on another bow 500-700 range? Or am I expecting too much for so little.

Lot's of last years or 2+ year old flagship models will be in that range, excluding carbon risers.

Mathews Halon, Vertix, Traverse
Hoyt Defiant, hyperforce, Helix
Bowtech Realm, Realm SR6, SS, Realm X and the Reign series are all great
CT series from Prime
Elite Ritual is one of their better IMO

You should be able to find any of these for that range give or take if it is bare, loaded or inbetween.

OP
Dopedude

Dopedude

FNG
Excellent information here, looks like I have a good amount of selection. I will start looking. Thanks,

jmez

WKR
I don't remember that one but I'm not surprised you recall it being loud. Honestly, you would be hard pressed to get $50 if you tried to sell it.

As well as mentioned above you can look into Diamond, and Mission bows. Made by Bowtech and Mathews, they are a step below the flagship bows. Reasonable pricing and shoot very well.

peterk123

WKR
Heck, I shot a 2005 Bowtech Old Glory until the end of 2018 (I am the original owner). It was last restrung in 2017. If the bow shoots good for you the $100 bucks or so for a new string is a no brainer. Strings are like arrows; it is a disposable item. The only reason I upgraded to a Realm X last year was that there were real improvements in the draw cycle of bows from 14 years ago.

I f you are yearning for a new or like new bow that is truly an upgrade, I think you will be in the $750 range. And that would be a leftover (if one even exists), or a used bow. Bows have evolved, but its been incremental at best. With that said, if you brain is screaming at you to upgrade, well, sometimes you just have to say "screw it". :)

OP
Dopedude

Dopedude

FNG
Heck, I shot a 2005 Bowtech Old Glory until the end of 2018 (I am the original owner). It was last restrung in 2017. If the bow shoots good for you the $100 bucks or so for a new string is a no brainer. Strings are like arrows; it is a disposable item. The only reason I upgraded to a Realm X last year was that there were real improvements in the draw cycle of bows from 14 years ago.

I f you are yearning for a new or like new bow that is truly an upgrade, I think you will be in the $750 range. And that would be a leftover (if one even exists), or a used bow. Bows have evolved, but its been incremental at best. With that said, if you brain is screaming at you to upgrade, well, sometimes you just have to say "screw it". :)
I think I’m at the point where if I buy a new bow I would be much better off. It looks like my bow is from 1996. I went and shot a Mathews vxr tonight that wasn’t even close to setup for me and it felt amazing compared to mine. But that’s also double the budget I’m trying to stick with.

OR Archer

WKR
I think I’m at the point where if I buy a new bow I would be much better off. It looks like my bow is from 1996. I went and shot a Mathews vxr tonight that wasn’t even close to setup for me and it felt amazing compared to mine. But that’s also double the budget I’m trying to stick with.
If you’re not in a hurry you’ll see guys upgrading VXR’s and Vertix when the 2021 line comes out. You could find a good deal on one.

skeen

FNG
You can get a brand new prime logic for 599 from mountain archery.com right now...
I just bought a new VXR, but had I seen that last week I may have given the Prime Logic a try.

OP
Dopedude

Dopedude

FNG
I just bought a new VXR, but had I seen that last week I may have given the Prime Logic a try.
What don’t you like about the VXr that’s making you second guess your purchase?