New bow question

nidaho

FNG
Been out of the game for two years had a shoulder injury. Used the same bow for last 6 or so years, a bow tech sentenal at 70 pounds. I drew a 58 pound bow last week it wasn’t pretty but I got it back. Question has anyone experience with a Mathews traverse, looks like a nice bow. I had a Mathews back in 1996 shot pretty good. Probably a 50 to 60 pounder. Just looking for input on new ones thanks.

I got the traverse last year and really like the bow went with it over the vertix because being a little taller the string angle fit me a bit better. Overall don’t have any complaints and I think you’d be happy with it.

Attachments

• 4D55C9CF-8062-4571-997F-C9E8DFD3669F.jpeg
    4D55C9CF-8062-4571-997F-C9E8DFD3669F.jpeg
    355.4 KB · Views: 22
Been out of the game for two years had a shoulder injury. Used the same bow for last 6 or so years, a bow tech sentenal at 70 pounds. I drew a 58 pound bow last week it wasn’t pretty but I got it back. Question has anyone experience with a Mathews traverse, looks like a nice bow. I had a Mathews back in 1996 shot pretty good. Probably a 50 to 60 pounder. Just looking for input on new ones thanks.

The Traverse has a nicer draw IMO than the Vertix. I did not like the valley hop/dump on the vertix personally. What is your draw length? Bowtech and prime have some of the smoothest draws on the market, some of the bowtechs have a nasty dump after 29.5'' though. If you have a bum shoulder and a shorter draw, a Bowtech SR6 might be perfect, if you're a bit longer, a prime Black 3 or the traverse might be better suited.

Most all bows are pretty good now, just pick features that you like. Elite has been known to draw easy, easy is subjective tho. Comes down to having a draw cycle you are familiar with. Generally a slower IBO rated bow is going to draw easier, some faster bows still draw relatively easy however.

The traverse doesn't have the switch weight system that the newer Mathews do. I think it's an interesting system, can use the same bow from 50-75# just changing mods. Of course if you don't have any interest in going back up in poundage that doesn't matter. Otherwise I think the traverse, vertix, and vxr 31.5 are all pretty similar, some differences in the ata from model to model pretty similar performance. I tried a traverse against a VXR and personally I preferred the 31.5 VXR and I like a longer ATA bow. Draw cycle felt better to me on the VXR, I might be in a lone camp with that tho. As I said stuff is subjective and usually comes down to something you feel more familiar with rather than what is actually more comfortable.

Lots of other manufactures out there that make good bows. I'd be getting a bow from a manufacturer that is sold locally by a good pro shop. Having someone to tune the bow properly is going to be more important than what name or model is stamped on it.

OP
N

nidaho

FNG
Thanks for replies I will probably go shoot the traverse and see how it feels. My main concern was that almost alL the Bows I’ve looked at seem to have a very short brace we used to always look for 7 inch.

Reactions: Zac

Zac

WKR
IMO the Traverse is the best bow Mathews has on the Market. You get a nice brace height of 7 inches. You also get a really nice string angle due to a 33 inch ATA. Also you can get really good holding weights with 75% mods. It is going to be a more shootable bow than both the Vertix, or the VXR.