New bow recommendations

OP
mountainman406
I second this advice, I just finished looking for a new one myself, tried everything I could at bow shops, bass pro, and cabelas. I shot the defiant and powermax back to back and couldn't find a very distinguishable difference (I admit that I am still very new and the differences would probably be easily apparent to someone who is an advanced shooter) and went with the powermax. The plus side is saving some money for higher end accessories.

Thanks for the advice! I think I've narrowed it down to either a Hoyt Nitrum, Hoyt Powermax or Prime Rize.

OP
mountainman406
After shooting a couple more bows I've decided to throw a couple more bows into the mix. PSE Bow madness 30, PSE Brute Force. Anyone have any experience with either of these two bows?

Muley15

Lil-Rokslider
Mostly preference, my cousin bought a new PSE a few years ago and blew up the limbs. Not a fan of the fact that they are a big box store bow.

gansettx

FNG
Any specific reason why? Or is it just preference?

It has been my experience that PSE bows are a bit less forgiving than many competitors. Not sure of logistics but if you are looking for solid shooters at a peach of a price and you are not worried about what your friends say, I'd search Athens line up. They make a solid bow made in USA and their 2nd hand pricing is phenomenal.

I'd not leave High Country out of the mix either, super nice bows that can be picked up cheap on AT.

OP
mountainman406
Thanks all for the suggestions and advice. I will be looking into Athens and other smaller companies. Name on the bow doesn't matter much to me as long as it gets the job done, not trying to win a brand fashion show in the woods. Unfortunately I just don't have $1000 to spend on a bow at this time and would like to at least get a bow set up with the accessories I want with a warranty. Seems like buying a used $6-900 bow without a warranty is crazy.

OP
mountainman406
So I've narrowed it down to 2, PSE premonition and the PSE Drive R. Anyone have experience with either of these?

ahlgringo

WKR
Personally, I don't worry a bit about not having a warranty on a used bow. For one- no bow mfg that I know of will warranty scratches/dings/new strings/general use, etc as well no bow mfg will warranty if you mess it up (dry fire). So what am I really getting warrantied- limb failure, cam failure, bent riser? never had those things happen. Others may chime in and have other experiences- but- to me it just doesn't justify the huge upfront cost of buying retail. I will also tell you- with a little effort, a few tools and some youtube videos- you can pretty much do most work on your own bows. But as always- to each their own, spend your own money as you please.