New bow recommendations

Hello all,

Been debating on upgrading to a newer bow lately and figured I would get some opinions from y'all. Currently shooting a diamond the rock model with a 29" draw pulling 60lbs. I'm not trying to spend $1000 plus on one of the "flagship" bows just for a name brand or a couple FPS more. I've been to a pro shop in town and shot a ton of bows so I wanted to know what y'all are shooting and how you like them. Any info would be greatly appreciated and I'd like to try to stay around the $500 mark. Any advantages/disadvantages to buying one of these lower cost bows? TIA.

I'll second the used. Lots of guys get the new year model and sell last years.
Having said that with today's technology a lesser known brand is still a heck of a bow.
Just shoot as many as you can and pick up one that you like and shoot well that is in your price range.
I've had card that are worth less than a new bow from the local proshop so dropping that much on a bow really isn't in the cards for me.

elkguide

WKR
As has been said, get out and shoot a lot of bows and then choose the one that fits you the best. Used is a very good option. There hasn't been a lot of new changes to bows for the last 4 or 5 years. While I have a couple newer bows, when I went to New Zealand last year, I took a 2011 bow that is one that I am so confident in. I like the grip on the Elite - BowTech - Obsession - Xpedition bows. I know that Mathews is one of the big names but I can't get used to their 2X4 grip, draw or stops and wouldn't take one if you gave it to me. So you really just need to get out there and shoot a bunch and then decide what is going to be "your" bow.

Good luck and have fun!!!!!

OP
mountainman406
Thank you for the responses. I'll add that I've been in to the pro shops here in town and shot everything from $300-1000 and cant seem to justify spending the extra money just to gain the added FPS. Is there any real disadvantage to buying one of the cheaper bows(diamond,bear,martin,PSE,New Breed) as opposed to buying one of the higher priced name brands?(mathews,hoyt,bowtech,elite) I'm weary of buying used just purely because I don't know how the prior owner treated it.

I shoot a Bowtech Guardian....it might have been a flagship bow at one time, to be honest I'm not sure. The speed is not great compared to a newer flagship bow, but it is accurate and quiet. My advice is to find a bow that works well for you, is quiet, and accurate then go kill stuff!

elkguide

WKR
Thank you for the responses. I'll add that I've been in to the pro shops here in town and shot everything from $300-1000 and cant seem to justify spending the extra money just to gain the added FPS. Is there any real disadvantage to buying one of the cheaper bows(diamond,bear,martin,PSE,New Breed) as opposed to buying one of the higher priced name brands?(mathews,hoyt,bowtech,elite) I'm weary of buying used just purely because I don't know how the prior owner treated it.

Yes, the more expensive bows do have better axles and risers and every other part tends to be a little bit better. Will an elk or a deer know the difference when you put an arrow into it's boiler room? Probably not but for you, who needs to be comfortable and happy shooting your bow, you want to have a bow that you are comfortable with and that will help you want to shoot more. The more you shoot, the better you get and the more you shoot and the better you get, the more fun you have.

For me the hunt isn't releasing the arrow but rather all of the preparation that goes into the hunt and shooting a lot and becoming totally comfortable with your equipment is the most important part so buy a bow that fits you and makes you enjoy shooting. If you find a bow that you fall in love with but it's more than you want/have to spend, wait and save enough money to buy what will make you happier.

OP
mountainman406
Yes, the more expensive bows do have better axles and risers and every other part tends to be a little bit better. Will an elk or a deer know the difference when you put an arrow into it's boiler room? Probably not but for you, who needs to be comfortable and happy shooting your bow, you want to have a bow that you are comfortable with and that will help you want to shoot more. The more you shoot, the better you get and the more you shoot and the better you get, the more fun you have.

For me the hunt isn't releasing the arrow but rather all of the preparation that goes into the hunt and shooting a lot and becoming totally comfortable with your equipment is the most important part so buy a bow that fits you and makes you enjoy shooting. If you find a bow that you fall in love with but it's more than you want/have to spend, wait and save enough money to buy what will make you happier.

Very good point, I enjoy the hunting experience as well and it is not about the shot for me either. Out of the bows that I shot, the ones that felt the best were the diamond infinite edge pro, bear threat, and the Martin lithium. Anyone have any experience with these models? Also open to other suggestions. Appreciate all of the advice so far.

ahlgringo

WKR
I would second the notion of buying one used. Get on ArcheryTalk and for 5-600 you can get a year or two old flagship bow- yes would will know the difference than all of the ones you have mentioned previously. I would recommend a couple- Elite Energy/synergy series, Halons, or a variety of Hoyts lineup. I think in the long run you will be much happier with the quality, not to mention the re-sale of already buying used.

OR Archer

WKR
If you are wanting a new bow but want to keep costs down then look at the Hoyt Powermax or the PSE Vendetta VX. Both are within your budget. They both have great performance when compared to the higher end bows. They are easily tunable as well. Both are fantastic bows for their price points.

OP
mountainman406
I will definitely be looking into all of the suggestions both new and used. Thank you guys, always great info on here.

kicker338

WKR
Don't know if you come over here to Nth. Idaho but if you do, go to Blacksheep sporting goods store in Coeur da Alene they usually have a number of last yrs. high end bows, PSE Hoyt Elite etc. from $400 to $600 range. These are new, not used bows.

robie

WKR
I wouldn't be to worried about used with a bow. You have to think about a lot of the bow nerds who have to have a new bow every year.

I love that those guys exist, they all sell their 1 or 2 year old bow about the same time when the new ones come out. If you are nervous about used find someone selling one in your area and ask them to meet you at a bow shop to have them check it out before the sale. Most shops are willing to help you out. Just buy some arrows from them or some accessories for your new bow.

I bought a bowtech experience when it was about 1 year old with a few components on it. I paid around $700 I sold the site and the quiver so net around $650. New they are around $1k. That's a 35% savings on a 1 to 2 year old item. eBay tells me I could sell it for around $400 today. I've had it for 3 years and stand to loose $250 if for some reason I want a new one.

I'm not a bow guy and couldn't tell you which to get but from the research I did bows from around the time the Matthews Z7 came out till now a lot of the bows have been great and fast. I'm just putting it in perspective that there are a pile of great bows you can find that were once the top bow of the year.

The hunting game is expensive, save a few bucks where you can so you have it for other items.

OP
mountainman406
Leaning more towards buying used now, appreciate everyone's suggestions and input. Going to be buried in the AT classifieds looking for one to pop up over the next couple weeks.

I am fairly new to archery and have said elsewhere that a good way to get a pro shop to help you is to pay them money for gear and lessons. That what I have done in the last 2 seasons.

It sounds like you are an experienced shooter so you may not there to go that route. If I were you, I would look at a late model bow that is a shade below flagship. Like a 2015 nitrum. You get nearly all of HOYT's flagship tech from that year. Buying used you could stay in your price range. I bet in addition to being a little faster you would get a much smoother shooting bow.

Boreal

WKR
The main difference you are going to see with the higher quality bow is not FPS, but rather getting and keeping your bow in tune. The higher quality cams and axles will make it a lot easier to get consistent POI and get your broadheads matching field points. So while the elk might not know the difference between a hunting arrow at 245 fps vs 260 fps, you will know that your hunting arrow will go where you want it to.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Muley15

Lil-Rokslider
As previously mentioned, I believe spending a little bit more for a 1-3 year old flagship bow or buying a new leftover is the way to go. You probably will spend between 6-700 for this but its worth it over a lower end new bow. There are some new Prime Rize's and Elite's on Ebay for 600-650 right now that are new. Look around for a Hoyt Faktor or Nitrum used.

Like others have said buy used. I bought my bow last year for $600.00 after the previous owner had only had it for 6 months. Those 6 months and how ever many arrows went through it saved me about $500.00 because that bow retailed for $1,150.00 if I would have had the shop order me a new one. AT is good for used bows but if you can I'd suggest buying a used/consignment bow from a shop. It gives you a foot in the door establishing a relationship with the shop.

OP
mountainman406
Thanks for the replies and suggestions everyone! I've been watching Ebay and the AT classifieds closely for a good used upper tier bow.

Dan L

FNG
If you are wanting a new bow but want to keep costs down then look at the Hoyt Powermax or the PSE Vendetta VX. Both are within your budget. They both have great performance when compared to the higher end bows. They are easily tunable as well. Both are fantastic bows for their price points.

I second this advice, I just finished looking for a new one myself, tried everything I could at bow shops, bass pro, and cabelas. I shot the defiant and powermax back to back and couldn't find a very distinguishable difference (I admit that I am still very new and the differences would probably be easily apparent to someone who is an advanced shooter) and went with the powermax. The plus side is saving some money for higher end accessories.