New bow set up?

DuckDogDr

WKR
Hey guys I'm doing the opposite of most people and going from traditional archery to wheels and gadgets.

I'm going Friday to test fire a couple of hoyts and get set up...
What should I expect from the archery shop as far as set up? And how do I know I'm getting set up correctly vs just the kid at the counter turning some bolts and being done?

Thanks

2Stamp

Lil-Rokslider
This is very general; go to an actual pro shop, not a big box store. Any shop worth their salt should set the bows you want to shoot, to your draw length. That will give you the best comparison/ evaluation.

Shops very on setup; but most from what I've experienced (and the one I work in) will install the accessories you want. Basic setup includes check timing/ etc on the bow, set nock point/ D loop, set the peep sight to you. Basic paper tune. I always have my customers also shoot through paper for the initial tune (because they will grip the bow different than me). Some shops will charge a small fee, some throw the setup in for free if you buy the bow from them. They should also be happy to answer all your questions about different sights, rests, etc. We've all got our favorite setups (rests, sights, quivers), but should be able to talk pros/cons of different accessories with you.

Time of the year matters obviously, that will determine how much time they can spend with you. So going in now is definitely better than just before the fall archery seasons.

Also, unless you are brand loyal, shoot every bow you can in your budget, regardless of brand. There are some really fantastic bows out there now days.

Last edited:

Rob5589

WKR
Throw out the name of the shop you plan to visit, maybe you'll get some feedback. Other than that, good luck. Seems good shops/techs are few and far between.