New Bow Sight - Looking for opinions

Hey Everyone -

So as the title says, I'm looking for a new bow sight. I'm a flatlander going west to chase elk in 2021, but I'm having trouble finding a sight that really strikes me as "The One". I've found a couple that I like, but nothing has stuck out to me. I've been out of the loop on new sight technology for about a dozen or more years because old sight served its purpose very well hunting whitetail and turkey. But with the new experience ahead, I want to make a change to something more adaptable.

Some of the things I'm looking for:
- Combination of fixed and sliding pins - That way I don't have to every worry about my slider being out of position during a close encounter
- I prefer vertical pins over horizontal - I don't much care for the "cluttered" view of horizontal pins
- Don't want any .029 pins - My current sight is progressive and I don't care for my top .029 pin much
- I don't want more than 3 pins total
- Micro adjustment and tool free aren't a priority
- This is a hunting setup, so having a slider that reaches out over 70-80 yards isn't necessary.
- Can't be the Garmin Xero - The state we're hunting doesn't allow for electronics

That said.... anybody have any recommendations to look at based on that criteria or am I looking for a unicorn?

Hey Everyone -

So as the title says, I'm looking for a new bow sight. I'm a flatlander going west to chase elk in 2021, but I'm having trouble finding a sight that really strikes me as "The One". I've found a couple that I like, but nothing has stuck out to me. I've been out of the loop on new sight technology for about a dozen or more years because old sight served its purpose very well hunting whitetail and turkey. But with the new experience ahead, I want to make a change to something more adaptable.

Some of the things I'm looking for:
- Combination of fixed and sliding pins - That way I don't have to every worry about my slider being out of position during a close encounter
- I prefer vertical pins over horizontal - I don't much care for the "cluttered" view of horizontal pins
- Don't want any .029 pins - My current sight is progressive and I don't care for my top .029 pin much
- I don't want more than 3 pins total
- Micro adjustment and tool free aren't a priority
- This is a hunting setup, so having a slider that reaches out over 70-80 yards isn't necessary.
- Can't be the Garmin Xero - The state we're hunting doesn't allow for electronics

That said.... anybody have any recommendations to look at based on that criteria or am I looking for a unicorn?
Spot Hogg Fast Eddie double pin double pointer.

Checks all your boxes. I prefer the standard version over the XL. I really love the second pin as an additional aiming reference for hunting situations and the clean sight picture the single vertical post provides.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Reactions: Zac

KHNC

WKR
Option 6 from Option Archery. Best sight combo on the market!

You can rotate the fixed pins out of the picture in 1 second or less. You can remove any extra pins you dont want or need as well.

Aside from having horizontal pins, I'd say check out an Option sight as well. I have the Option 4 and love it. I only ever used a single pin for about 15 years, then switched to a cheap 3 pin before upgrading to the Option 4 last year.

You might consider the CBE Engage Hybrid 3-pin. I switched to it for mostly whitetail and an occasional Western hunt. It does have horizontal pins, but I really like the dovetail, small housing, metal sight scales, and the price.

@StraightWayOutdoors
Straight Way Outdoors, Fulcrum Archery, Elite Archery, Upwind Odor Elimination, Wicked Twisted Bowstrings

xFREDx

Lil-Rokslider
SH Fast Eddie or XL model since you want vertical pins. I think Trophy Ridge makes a vertical one as well but would go with SH. If you want a 3 pin i would steer you towards Black Gold.

OP
W
Thanks for the replies... I'll look into each of those.

I like the concept of this... 2 fixed pins and one vertical slider... Anybody know anyone other than Trophy Ridge making something similar?
1608672691864.png

Thanks for the replies... I'll look into each of those.

I like the concept of this... 2 fixed pins and one vertical slider... Anybody know anyone other than Trophy Ridge making something similar?
View attachment 245051

Sword makes a side pin/up pin combo.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Only went with option 8 to get more distance for 3-d shoots like Total archery challenge and Mountain fest. They are all nice just which ever you prefer. My peep is a round one , and that was little goofy since I had always lined up round peep with round sight bracket. Option does now sell a oval peep for that reason. I am confident with my set up even with the round peep.

I'd suggest an Option 4s or to call Option and tell them you want one with only 2 fixed pins + the slider. Since the fixed pins and slider aren't on the same plane with that sight you could go with the 4 pin version and keep the slider covering 1 fixed pin, functionally making it a 3 pin sight until you want/need to dial the yardage.

Two pins setup 10 to 15 yards apart with the top pin being your 5 yd hold-under to your somewhere in between the two hold-over. The bottom pin then takes over as the hold-on to hold-over for another 10 to 15 yards further from its sight in yardage.

For shots under 40 yds, you have very little time to adjust a slider, unless you're in a ground blind or tree stand and have time to adjust to a pre-ranged distance.

In a two horizontal pin setup, the sight window isn't very cluttered.

Spott hogg fast Eddie 2 pin or black gold mountain lite 2 pin... and if you are anything like me, you will realize with time you rarely use the second pin, though its cheap insurance.

Shawn_Guinn

Lil-Rokslider
I use the trophy ridge version, I wouldn’t shy away because of the name. It’s a well built sight with bright pins. Shot my deer at 25 and elk at 62 this year sliding it for the elk was fluid and fast. I hunt hard and my equipment gets used and abused, the sights 3 years old now and has never not worked. I might switch bows every couple years but the react trio pro stays.

Goose10

FNG
Don't underestimate the value of having multiple pins set before the elk shows up. Sliders might be fine in theory and on paper but that is one thing you don't need to be messing with when the bull shows up. You'll have a rangefinder in one hand plus trying to guess and dial with the other. Elk cover ten yards in a blink of any eye and leave even faster. I tried to talk a flatlander buddy out of a slider but he insisted he shot the best with one. Came out, missed two elk because they moved after he set his pin.

NXTZ

Lil-Rokslider
I’ll echo the guys recommending spot Hogg. I can be a jack*ss to my equipment, and have banged, dropped, and abused my spot hoggs with no issue. Have set my bow down and had a stick go into my sight-no issues. Had a bow blow up last week at full draw-the spot Hogg survived that experience unscathed. My personal choice for “the one” sight.