New bow sight

fatlander

WKR
You can use either of the pins for your floater, it doesn’t necessarily need to be your bottom pin.

It actually works quite well if you use your middle pin as your floater. That way if you need to adjust last minute after you have a yardage dialed in then you’ll have a pin at 10 yards closer, and one at 10 yards farther.

This is exactly right.

I would advise against using your bottom pin as a floater for this reason. I have a 5 pin Montana Black Gold and I used my middle pin as the floater. Using your middle pin as the floater will also keep the pin housing closer to it’s original position when you’ve made an adjustment.

I’ve had high end hunting sights from every company. MBG is by and large the best no frills hunting sight in my opinion. The photochromatic hood is worth its weight in gold. The pin brightness is always perfect, no starburst ever!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Wireman07

Wireman07

Lil-Rokslider
This is exactly right.

I would advise against using your bottom pin as a floater for this reason. I have a 5 pin Montana Black Gold and I used my middle pin as the floater. Using your middle pin as the floater will also keep the pin housing closer to it’s original position when you’ve made an adjustment.

I’ve had high end hunting sights from every company. MBG is by and large the best no frills hunting sight in my opinion. The photochromatic hood is worth its weight in gold. The pin brightness is always perfect, no starburst ever!

So if I buy a MBG 3 pin, and say I set them at 20,30,40 and have my middle pin as my floater and range a mule deer at 60, then my pins would actually be 50,60,70?

So if I buy a MBG 3 pin, and say I set them at 20,30,40 and have my middle pin as my floater and range a mule deer at 60, then my pins would actually be 50,60,70?

Nope the further the distance more drop which means more pin gap. So for hunting on my 3 pin I do 30,40,50 I can hold over for 60 but I would most likely dial for anything further. Bottom pin floater is easiest for me to work with and I like .19 on two top pins and .10 for bottom pin as a floater because at 70+ the larger pin covers the entire target. The Floating pin does not move independently like on the IQ floater set up. Check out this video it’s easier watching the video to understand the sight than reading on here, for me anyways. Hope this helps, there’s a ton of other ones on YouTube

KSP277

WKR
All this talk about floaters, on my 2 pin fast eddie, there’s 2 pointers on the dial, and they always correspond to what ever yardage they’re pointing at, respectively. About 15 yards difference. I like knowing that if I range something at 50 my bottom pin is ready for 65

fatlander

WKR

Not exactly. Your pin gaps would grow as the distance gets further. You’re going to have to shoot it and see, but I’d say it’ll probably 52 and 67 or something along those lines.

The point being, it gives you some reference if you practice out at those distances to learn what your gaps are. Say you set the pin for 60, the bull moved about 10 yards closer - your top pin is going to good to go. Or conversely he moved about 7 or so yards further, your bottom pin is going to be good to go.

Keeping your housing closer to the center static level is another huge benefit. You’re going to be more accurate because you’re not going to have to change your anchor as much.

Moneyball

WKR
I’ve had CBE, SH Hogg Father, currently running MBG Pro 3 pin with the mid pin as the slider. Can’t go wrong with any of them but man I’m really loving the MBG pro.

WakePraySlay

Lil-Rokslider
Like most people montana black gold for the win. You can’t beat their warranty. I run an ascent verdict 5 pin on their 6” dovetail. Just go with montana black gold

OP
Wireman07

Wireman07

Lil-Rokslider
Just bought the Black Gold Verdict 3 pin today. With it being so cold and snowy here I wont be able to get out for awhile, but I have it mounted and leveled. So in was curious on the sight tapes, is it critical to chronograph your bow to correspond with sight tape. Or can you just do the 20yard to 60 yard pin thing and match the 2 Mark's to the sight tapes?

fatlander

WKR
Just bought the Black Gold Verdict 3 pin today. With it being so cold and snowy here I wont be able to get out for awhile, but I have it mounted and leveled. So in was curious on the sight tapes, is it critical to chronograph your bow to correspond with sight tape. Or can you just do the 20yard to 60 yard pin thing and match the 2 Mark's to the sight tapes?

Yeah don’t fool with a chrono. Most aren’t accurate enough to work for this a police. The further you can hold a decent group the more accurate the tape will better. 70 or 80 will give you a more precise tape than 60.

OP
Wireman07

Wireman07

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah don’t fool with a chrono. Most aren’t accurate enough to work for this a police. The further you can hold a decent group the more accurate the tape will better. 70 or 80 will give you a more precise tape than 60.

Awesome, thanks for the tip!

WakePraySlay

Lil-Rokslider
Just like Fatlander said...better off to ditch the chrono. Sight in your three pins at desired distances (ex...20,30,40). Then sight your floater pin at 20 making a mark on what I’m guessing is a white piece of tape you’ll be using as a rough draft to compare marks on your final sight tape. And then I’d move back to 40 or 50 just to make sure you’re hitting the target before making a big jump to 60-80. The key is, you wanna be as far back as possible while maintaining good groups. The more distance between your marks (let’s say 20 and 80) shooting good solid groups the more accurate your sight tape will be. Just be honest with yourself when it comes to shooting good groups. If your target looks like birdshot at 80 yards move up to 60 or 70 yards and find a consistent grouping.

ZDR

WKR
I just got my Montana BG Mountain Lite sight set up. It came with 5 pins, but I pulled one off so running as a 4 pin. 2 at .019 and 2 at .010 diameter. It also has 2 indicators on the slider.
I just got it dialed in and as others said, dont bother with the chrono. I got all my pins set up finally (20, 30, 40, 50) and then 60 - 80 using the 4th pin as my floater. The biggest advantage I notice is the ability to use the top indicator (set to my 20yd pin) to dial in between distances all the way out to 50yds. I shot the local outdoor walk-around range yesterday and loved being able to dial 37yds - much more accurate/consistent than gaping. So far, I am super-impressed with the sight.

KSP277

WKR
I just don’t see the point in having all those pins blocking your sight window and having a slider sight. Seems like it defeats part of the purpose to me. But, they sell plenty so I’m obviously odd man out on that.

Jcros

FNG
The Option 6 or 8. You can have both of best worlds and you do not have to worry about your entire housing moving with your slider. You have the option for a single pin slider our fixed pins with a slider pin for the last pin only. I do not see the purpose for all of your pins to move either. It is a great sight for going between whitetail and western hunting.

wysongdog

WKR
The Option 6 or 8. You can have both of best worlds and you do not have to worry about your entire housing moving with your slider. You have the option for a single pin slider our fixed pins with a slider pin for the last pin only. I do not see the purpose for all of your pins to move either. It is a great sight for going between whitetail and western hunting.

My thoughts exactly just ordered my custom option 8 w/ 4 pins. The best of both worlds imo.