New Bow - Which One?

CiK01

WKR
For 2020, I am going to look into a new or newer to me bow. I am sure this can be a Ford or Chevy thing.......but is there a general consensus out there for good, quality, mountain tough bows in the last 2-3 years? For what its worth, I currently shoot a Mathews Chill.

Thanks for any and all advice.

Tony

Edit: If I had to pick one quality I want the most......quiet! I would like a quiet bow. Thanks!

Last edited:

Mudflap621

Lil-Rokslider
i think that all the big names are producing some great bows in the last few years so in my opinion id go in to a shop open minded and find the bow that pics you. Each will have features you may like or dislike but the draw cycle should be the deciding factor. Try as many as you can and there will be one or two that stick out. For years i had to shoot a certain brand but last year i went in totally blind and ended up falling in love with something totally different and glad I did

You are gonna get a lot of brand loyal responses which is understandable.

I have owned a ton of different bows in the last three years as I have developed an archery addiction and I have not really found a brand that doesn't make a good bow these days. I'm not saying I have loved every bow, but there just isn't a whole lot of difference in my opinion on the manufacturing side other than the couple manufacturers making carbon risers.

The biggest difference I have found is the attributes I like in a bow. I have found that I prefer longer axle to axle bows and a generous brace height. I thought I liked limb stops but I actually shoot better with cable stops. I thought that I needed a hybrid cam bow for ease of tuning but learned that shimming cams is a very effective and permanent way to tune your bow.

Unfortunately, you won't be able to get a real review of a bow by someone else's thoughts because you might be totally different in what you like.

All that said, my current bows are Mathews Traverse, Hoyt Pro Defiant 34, and APA Mamba 34 TF, with a Halon X Comp for target archery.

I am bringing my APA to Idaho this year because it is a perfect backcountry bow for what I need, in my opinion.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

I can't speak from personal experience on newer bows (I'm still shooting a 2012 Mathews Heli-m), but these two podcast episodes might be helpful to you:

Zac

WKR
I'd say it mostly depends on your height and your draw length.

Rob5589

WKR
So many good ones make it hard to go wrong with most brands. Find the specs you prefer; ata length, brace height, draw cycle, weight, etc, and start shooting the ones that fit those criteria.

After owning several new flagship bows the past few years, I just bought a 2013 elite e32 with HDX for 275 and I shoot it better than the Hoyt rx3 I had before it. I would say buy used and get something for half off rather than buy the latest flagship that has the same specs as the previous 5 years before it. I love Hoyt’s marketing the new XYZ turbo is the fastest bow we have ever created with a blistering 350 feet per second. Which is literally the exact same ibo speed for the last 5+ turbos

Shoot a bunch of them and decide for yourself. Everyone feels something different than others do.

A few good ones to check out though:
  • Prime 3 Black
  • PSE Evo NXT 33
  • Bowtech Revolt X
  • Hoyt RX-4 Ultra
  • Mathews VXR 31.5

sf jakey

Lil-Rokslider
I just bought a VXR 31.5. Love it so far. Much easier to tune and much less finicky that my CT3 was. Black 3 felt the same to me, and Iwasn’t willing to risk another bad experience. I also really liked the Bowtech Revolt X, but the VXR is faster by a large margin, and shoots just as good. I havent owned a Mathews since 2010.

dkime

WKR
The VXR made me purchase my first Mathews of my life this year, I was extreme loyal to the big blue E in a previous life

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ben@bpetersondds

Lil-Rokslider
Like the revolt so far. Grip is not for me though. Just purchased the other one they sell. We’ll see if it helps. Loved the grip on my old Hoyt

RustyHazen

Lil-Rokslider
I have happily shot Elite for the last 12 years. Just bought a VXR 31.5. First Mathews ever. Wanted to hate it, just couldn’t put it down. Definitely worth trying.