New Broadhead on the market!

mtbshark

WKR
So i went to the Bogus Challenge over in Boise Id over the weekend, that was wicked fun.

but i had a chance to handle one of each of the 3 version available now, and i have to say they are super nice.
Little spendy but hey when you make small numbers to get your new Company rolling then cost is going to be a little higher than the others. But from what i saw they are worth the cost!

So i went to the Bogus Challenge over in Boise Id over the weekend, that was wicked fun.

but i had a chance to handle one of each of the 3 version available now, and i have to say they are super nice.
Little spendy but hey when you make small numbers to get your new Company rolling then cost is going to be a little higher than the others. But from what i saw they are worth the cost!

Thanks for making it out to the shoot, hope you had a good time!

Steve, has anyone put one into an elk yet? I saw the bear that was taken with one. I was curious if you had a prototype that you used last year. Good luck at the Bogus shoot this weekend!

No just the one bear killed so far. Hopefully another bear here this weekend!

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I got my hands on 3 of these little jewels from Steve. They're a real piece of artwork. All machined and very beautifully done. Sharp out of the box as my finger can attest - forgot the trailing edge was sharp as well. They are shooting well at short-range, but I haven't had a chance to stretch it out past 40 yards with them yet. The cut is generous. I actually had to orient mine so the main blade is horizontal at launch, otherwise it would hit my shelf because I run my arrow pretty close to the shelf on my setups. They spun true on my Easton Injexions with no wobble. I've been trying hard to find a test bear to put a hole in, but thus far I haven't had a big one cooperate. Excellent craftsmanship and a good SOLID design. Nice work Steve!

Coop

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
I can buy 3 Tricks for $25 shipped any day of the week. They kill anything I shoot at, dead. They fly identical to field tips. Sell me on why I should switch to this head for thrice the price?

jamaro

FNG
Les, This is where I think newer bow hunters have missed the boat. Since when did broadheads become one and done? I have been using the same 6 twoblade heads for 5 years... I just resharpen them and they ROCK... I don't need to worry about the rattling of replaceable blades and that was a major issue with some of the ST. I guarantee you that 2-blade heads have killed more animals then ANY design in HISTORY. Not to mention that are made in the States, this is your opportunity to buy American. And lets be honest, equipment is all about trust. I am sure that you have heard that it is the Indian not the arrow. We spend a ridiculous amount of money on gear that we think is better than other gear and to be honest we dont' need to. A bow that is ten years old is just as accurate as my brand new Carbon Element that I HAD TO HAVE. Why did I get it? Because I wanted to. Could I shot an old Bear bow... but I dont. Can I get by shooting Muzzy's or Tricks absolutely,,, but I am choosing to test the SOLID's to see if I like them better.. I might and I might not, but if I was worried about costs I would by gun hunting....

I sometimes call it "chasing sexy". like a lot of people I used Blazers for awhile until I proved to myself that they weren't that much more accurate FOR ME and they just caused clearance issues. Nobody should try to convince you to use anything.. Test it yourself and then YOU decide.

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
I know exactly what you are saying Jason, I'm just trying to find out what the thought process is that makes this broadhead 300% more valuable than other well performing heads. In reality that is what S&S and every other good manufacturer out there should be doing, if they are not trying to convince us to use their product, they probably should re-evaluate their mission objectives.

jamaro

FNG
I would bet that the profit margin isn't that much higher than muzzy or tricks... Just better materials. Also, if you want to have staying power in the industry you have to have a good product.. Look at EPIC... There was a ton of press and marketing, but there product was sub-par... Very Fragile and didn't always open... They have quickly faded... Then look at the Original Silver Flame... because they had a superior product they caught lightening and those took off... THERE WAS NO MARKETING or Convincing.. The product stood on its own andt they sold a TON BUT as soon as ABS bought them it went downhill. NOW the original Silver Flame guy is making heads again because ABS was creating a sub-standard(for GK) product and he has a waiting list.

Look at Muzzy and Rage, classic competitors, BUT the same company now owns both... WHY because there is value, they both fill a niche...

Also, think globally.. You are thinking from the view of a mid-west whitetail hunter... if I am going to Africa I want the best and baddest head that I think I can buy, money is not the issue it is all about performance... if you were going after Cape Buffalo, which head would you want???

You might not fall into the niche that S&S is going after, and that is ok but if there is anything I have learned is that there is a TON of disposable income in this world and you would be surprised what people will spend money on. Maybe S&S isn't looking to be in every Wal-mart... Maybe there goals are to have a much smaller but more loyal customer base.

I guess I am saying is once products get to market then market pressures will dictate sales. Convincing is only half of the picture, the archery industry needs to realize that bowhunters are becoming much more savy and don't give a dang about who is sponsored or who shoots what. Products need to perform...

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The verdict is still out on whether this head is 2.5 X better than what you're using now...

However, I am certain that S&S has at least 2.5 X more cost involved to manufacture the heads due to the materials and methods he's chosen to employ to build them. These are not stamped steel, throw-away blades, they're individually CNC machined out of high quality steel - that easily doubles the cost of manufacture. The volume S&S is doing right now has a major impact on his ability to price them lower as well.

I imagine if S&S had 100,000 orders or 5,000 for that matter, the costs could be adjusted. Jamaro makes a good point though - it's probably more of a niche product designed for the guy who wants/needs the ultimate 2 blade head for maximum toughness and tremendous durability on bigger or dangerous/African game. I haven't seen workmanship equal to these heads from any other manufacturer. I also think they would make a great choice for a traditional archer. Well cared for, a half dozen could last a couple years and go through multiple critters. I have gone through 4 or 5 dozen throw away heads in a season.

Slik Trick makes a great head too - I think it's just a different category than nobody has ventured into before. We have high-end everything else in hunting. It's about somebody built a broadhead to take designs and materials to the next level.

Coop

rodney482

WKR
Les, This is where I think newer bow hunters have missed the boat. Since when did broadheads become one and done? I have been using the same 6 twoblade heads for 5 years... I just resharpen them and they ROCK... I don't need to worry about the rattling of replaceable blades and that was a major issue with some of the ST. I guarantee you that 2-blade heads have killed more animals then ANY design in HISTORY. Not to mention that are made in the States, this is your opportunity to buy American. And lets be honest, equipment is all about trust. I am sure that you have heard that it is the Indian not the arrow. We spend a ridiculous amount of money on gear that we think is better than other gear and to be honest we dont' need to. A bow that is ten years old is just as accurate as my brand new Carbon Element that I HAD TO HAVE. Why did I get it? Because I wanted to. Could I shot an old Bear bow... but I dont. Can I get by shooting Muzzy's or Tricks absolutely,,, but I am choosing to test the SOLID's to see if I like them better.. I might and I might not, but if I was worried about costs I would by gun hunting....

I sometimes call it "chasing sexy". like a lot of people I used Blazers for awhile until I proved to myself that they weren't that much more accurate FOR ME and they just caused clearance issues. Nobody should try to convince you to use anything.. Test it yourself and then YOU decide.

I agree with this.. I shoot a VENTED 100GR machined carbon steel VPA head.

So far with 1 broadhead I have killed 5 whitetails and 1 blackbear. and shot it into my target 100's of times.

I use a flat super fine diamond stone and presto its ready for the field.

I love the look of this new head, reminds me of the Silverflame but less expensive.. I really love they are made her in the states!!!

here is the head that has taken 6 critters... this is a pic after I dug it out of the mud after it slammed through a black bear at 340 fps out of my crossbow

4ad68ded.jpg