New build thoughts?

Fish2keel

FNG
New to the forum but enjoying all the content and information already.

I believe I'm going down the right track but want to be sure. I currently have a remington 700 in .308, great gun, shooting 168 grain it's a laser beam. But I want something with less recoil and less weight. It currently has a wood stock and bull barrel, so it's not carrying friendly.

I was thinking 6.5 creedmoor( I know I need a man bun to say that caliber) or the 6.5 prc. I also considered the 26 nosler but its difficult to find a take off remington barrel.

I mostly deer hunt, but will use the gun as my one stop shop for white tail, coyote, I'd love a chance at some point on a mule deer and prong horn and my end all hunt is for Alaskan wolf (family lives here). I'd love to say I'd hunt elk but probably won't ever get the chance.

Shooting distance, I'm comfortable out to 500 on my .308 no problem. It's sited in at 300. I wouldn't won't go passed 500 though.

Thoughts on 6.5 creedmoor vs PRC(which will require a medium action length) or am I missing another caliber?

Reloading vs factory, love factory when I can find it but besides the dies and brass, I have the tools to reload.

Are you actually looking to build a custom rifle?
If not then I'd just go pick up a Tikka t3 in 6.5 creedmoor, perfect for deer and predators out to 500.
I shot my friends and we were busting rocks at 1000 yards every shot, I was impressed

OP
F

Fish2keel

FNG
Love the tikka! But I am looking to build another rifle for the most part.

cool
In that case check out the Defiance anTi short or XM length actions, they're awesome and only weigh like 20 oz.
I built a 30 Nos off a LA anTi
I'd still say just go with the creedmoor for your application, I think it'll run fine in a true SA but double check

OP
F

Fish2keel

FNG
cool
In that case check out the Defiance anTi short or XM length actions, they're awesome and only weigh like 20 oz.
I built a 30 Nos off a LA anTi
I'd still say just go with the creedmoor for your application, I think it'll run fine in a true SA but double check
Any thoughts on rebarreling and restocking the 700 I already own?

I've been down that road with factory 700s and I wouldn't do it again, you end up with a half ass build for nearly the price of a custom.
The only factory action I'd dump money into is a tikka, they're so precise that many companies including Proof make shouldered prefits that'll just screw right on.

Had no idea remingtons were that difficult to fully build

They aren't. It's just that if you true everything up you end up paying close enough to a custom to justify just starting with a custom.

I’d sell this custom 6.5 SAUM built off a SS PTG r700 action for a small fraction of what I paid for it. That wouldn’t be the case if it had a defiance or lone peak action.565EFA58-68FB-427F-89EF-428622EA2C06.jpeg

Can I ask what makes it mediocre? Never heard the remington 700 be described that way.
The last one I built off of had the base mounting holes drilled off center, and he top of the receiver was actually slightly misshapen to where the base had a gap between it and the action.
I took it to a smith and he said thats pretty typical with Remington these days.

The factory actions aren't squared up properly to the bolt and need truing, the factory trigger is junk, the factory firing pin and shroud need upgraded with PTG parts for reliability.
And the bolt cycles like hot garbage in my opinion
By the time you're done fixing all that stuff you could have bought a very high quality custom 700 clone action

OP
F

Fish2keel

FNG
They aren't. It's just that if you true everything up you end up paying close enough to a custom to justify just starting with a custom.

I’d sell this custom 6.5 SAUM built off a SS PTG r700 action for a small fraction of what I paid for it. That wouldn’t be the case if it had a defiance or lone peak action.View attachment 335681
That thing is beautiful! What stock is that?

OP
F

Fish2keel

FNG
For what it's worth....I decided to try my hand with my remington 700 SA. I hate leaving a perfectly good rifle in the safe.

I did take everyone's advice though and got my dad in a tikka t3x lite roughtech though in 6.5.

Now I just need to wait until wildcat composites ships stocks again to us.

What's everyone off shelf (for the time being) for 1 and 8 twist 24" 6.5 creedmoor for the range?

Also any other rifle stocks similar to wildcat composites out there?