New CA Mesa in 7mm-08

bummer7580

Lil-Rokslider
I recently purchased a CA Mesa in 7mm-08 and went through the barrel break in process. The break in process is a bit tedious and quite time consuming but I like to shoot so it is fine. Having finished the break in process I'm thinking rifle should make a good pheasant gun as it shoots a modified pattern. In all seriousness I'm not real pleased with the groups I'm getting (1 1/2"-4") but I will continue to experiment with different bullets and powders. It seems to favor lighter weight bullets but for elk I was hoping to use 150gr and above. Finding the sweet spot would be easier if components were more readily available. I did also switch scopes to rule that possibility out. The rifle is very attractive and fits me well. I'm hoping it will eventually replace the 7mm magnums I've been shooting forever.

OXN939

WKR
Hate to do this, but this thread is giving me flashbacks.

I ended up with a left hand 708 mesa in a trade deal. It wasnt a cartridge I was interested in but I figured I would giver er a spin to see how it shot. I was disappointed as well!. I tried factory 139 hornadys as well as handloaded hornadys, accubond 140s and barnes 120s. Everything was 1.5-2" groups, except the barnes 120s which were right at moa. I sold the rig off. I never did play with seating depth or try heavier bullets. If you really like the rig, send it back to christensen with your concerns. They are really nice rifles!

OP
B

bummer7580

Lil-Rokslider
What is the twist rate?

What projectiles and weights have you tried so far?
The twist rate is 1:9. Bullet weights I have tried 139,140,150,154,155 and 162. The best shooting has been the 140 gr Nosler ballistic tips. Never had a rifle this hard to please,

I have had good luck with 120 BT’s and IMR-4350, 140 AB’s and Big Game and 139 LRX and RL-16. Nothing special pretty much book data. I’m using 210 match Primers with the stick powder and WLRM primers with the BG. Good luck.

OP
B

bummer7580

Lil-Rokslider
I ended up with a left hand 708 mesa in a trade deal. It wasnt a cartridge I was interested in but I figured I would giver er a spin to see how it shot. I was disappointed as well!. I tried factory 139 hornadys as well as handloaded hornadys, accubond 140s and barnes 120s. Everything was 1.5-2" groups, except the barnes 120s which were right at moa. I sold the rig off. I never did play with seating depth or try heavier bullets. If you really like the rig, send it back to christensen with your concerns. They are really nice rifles!
I'm at a point where I've about had enough struggles with this rifle. I'll take my loss and wish someone else luck with it after I send it down the road. The frustration isn't worth it.

Lawnboi

WKR
I'm at a point where I've about had enough struggles with this rifle. I'll take my loss and wish someone else luck with it after I send it down the road. The frustration isn't worth it.

That’s what I did with my Mesa. Traded it for a tikka. Turned out to be a great decision.

JakeSCH

WKR
Have you pulled it apart and re-assembled? Check the action screws / make sure nothing is preventing the barrel from floating?

Lol how much do you want for it? Lol I have a tikka t3 in 308 if you want to trade (include brass and die).

OP
B

bummer7580

Lil-Rokslider
That’s what I did with my Mesa. Traded it for a tikka. Turned out to be a great decision.
Your reply stings a little. Lol. The 7mm magnum I was hoping to retire with the Mesa is a Tikka that shoots 1" groups with 162 grain ELD-X bullets. As I get a bit older I wanted something that's easier on the shoulder.

twdjr

WKR
Reading this thread a few weeks ago had me concerned because I recently purchased the same rifle and caliber. A buddy and I loaded up 4 different grain bullets, 100 grain hornady hp, 120 & 150 Nosler BT and 140 Nosler AB. I shot it earlier this week using a suppressor. Started off with the 100 grain. Once we got it dialed in at 100 yards with the 100 grains I didn't have to make any adjustments for any of the 4 different handloads. They all shot well under 1" groups at 100 yards. I cleaned barrel after every 5-6 rounds and was using a lead sled. I was thoroughly impressed with the performance of the rifle and hand loads. I removed the suppressor as it was my buddies and placed the muzzle break on rifle. I had to make some adjustments to get it back to zero. Before putting rifle away I shot a 3 shot group with the 120 grain and they were all touching. Hindsight, I wish I'd had shot all 4 grains without suppressor to see how they performed.

OP
B

bummer7580

Lil-Rokslider
Reading this thread a few weeks ago had me concerned because I recently purchased the same rifle and caliber. A buddy and I loaded up 4 different grain bullets, 100 grain hornady hp, 120 & 150 Nosler BT and 140 Nosler AB. I shot it earlier this week using a suppressor. Started off with the 100 grain. Once we got it dialed in at 100 yards with the 100 grains I didn't have to make any adjustments for any of the 4 different handloads. They all shot well under 1" groups at 100 yards. I cleaned barrel after every 5-6 rounds and was using a lead sled. I was thoroughly impressed with the performance of the rifle and hand loads. I removed the suppressor as it was my buddies and placed the muzzle break on rifle. I had to make some adjustments to get it back to zero. Before putting rifle away I shot a 3 shot group with the 120 grain and they were all touching. Hindsight, I wish I'd had shot all 4 grains without suppressor to see how they performed.
Interested in a trade? Lol

ELKMO

FNG
Bought a pair of them for my boys, both
7-08, both went back to CA. One got a new bolt the other for bedding/fitment.
One loves nosler factory 120 BT’s. The other hated all factory stuff and settled in with varget and 140 accubonds...1”.

Loves the rifles other their temperment. CS from CA is excellent....hindsight being 20/20 wish I’d got another Tikka.

OP
B

bummer7580

Lil-Rokslider
Since writing this comment I have had some time to experiment with this rifle. I decided I needed to do things differently than I had with all my other rifles. Instead of using large rifle primers I switched to magnum primers. I had been working up slowly in powder charges but said to hell with it and went max load+ a little. My groups shrank and then in one session I shot about 30 rounds without cleaning. The last 3 shot groups were smaller than first groups. I have discovered this rifle likes hot loads and a dirty barrel. Both Barnes 150gr TTXS and Nosler 150gr ballistic tips shoot into less than 1". The 155gr Federal Terminal Ascents shoot 3/4" groups with max loads. It does have bullets it doesn't like(Nosler partitions) but I have enough good choices. I may get to try it on elk yet if I don't run out of reloading components first.

Sykes

WKR
Try some hammers bullets. I bet you'll be surprised how well they will shoot. I have a cooper 280ai that wouldn't shoot anything near cooper's 1/2" guarantee. I gave up and tried to sell the rifle but then tried some 143 hammer hunters. Found a load that would shoot 1/2" at 100 yards within 11 rounds total, and they kill elk very well.

rodney482

WKR
Thought the twist rate was 1-8 on 7mm-08

Mine likes 120 ttsx bt

Trigger set to 2.5 (light as I could get it)

18x Leupold

Weather was awful and I can do better.

6 shots .80
3 w can
3 w/o

Attachments

• IMG_7030.jpeg
    IMG_7030.jpeg
    88.7 KB · Views: 5