New car- To AWD or not to AWD

Ralphie

WKR
I drive all over western Wyoming all year, mostly in a fwd corolla. Studded snow tires are a game changer. For on road winter driving fwd with studded tires is better than just about anything with regular tires. I agree with the post above that said for where you’ll be and given it’s a mini van fwd with serious snow tires will be great. I live pretty rural and my wife drives an awd suv with studded tires in the winter and that is an awesome combination.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Lived in AK for 12 years, first 4 had a FWD SUV, then upgraded to the Sienna AWD for the last 8. With snow tires that thing did really well. Biggest complaint was ground clearance, if the plows don't come it is easy to get high centered when the snow compacts under the vehicle in deep stuff. We run a separate set of studless snow tires, and still do even here in N. Idaho.

Mini vans with just front wheel drive are terrible in snow. We had to sell our honda mini van even after putting snow tires on it. Theres just too much weight over the back tires for front wheel drive.

Minivans are the best! Id rather drive it than most trucks.

I drive my wifes when she doesn't need it. It does seem to have some traction issues but for our occasional snow storms it's manageable.

If I lived somewhere with frequent snow I'd get AWD.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Sienna has been the only AWD minvan for a while... Nice to see some more options...

The funny thing about the Sienna is the lift kits.. Wouldn't mind another inch or two of clearance, but a lift kit on a mini van is a bit much for this guy! : )

This van from Nissan is interesting,
Even more so after these guys tweak it.. : )

jfs82

WKR
I think I'll be giving a go to a Rav4 hybrid awd, likely to lift in 2 inches and put new tires on it. Actually considering just getting a full second set of wheels with better tires for snow/trails and just switching them depending on in town in CA vs out hunting/camping/fishing.

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
I ended up going with a FWD model. Sounds like good snow tires is more important than AWD, plus there wasn’t an AWD model within 1000 miles of me, or $2000 of my budget.