New Career. What would you do?

sblount

FNG
Hey guys, I'm looking for a change in my life and I figure this may be a great resource to get your thoughts.

I'm 30 and I've been running my own dive business since 2015 and prior to that I was in the Marines. I've decided to sell my half of the business and look for some new opportunities. I haven't spent much time in college as I decided to start a business and learn that way.

My question to you all is: What would you do if you could do it all over? What career paths do you see growing and developing in the future?

I've started my Saleforce Certs and Plan to look into Amazon Web Services as well. I'd like to buy or start another business down the road once I get some experience working in larger companies. I however don't have anything I care too much about, I just like working and a good challenge. I have no kids or wife and I'm happy traveling. If I have the ability to maintain some freedom that would be awesome. One reason i'm looking at salesforce and AWS is for the work from home and time off environment they can provide.

I do not want to go down the engineer, Dr, legal route.

Thank you guys for your time.

Salmon River Solutions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I'm a machinist and enjoy it, most of the time. I enjoy it a lot more when I'm prototyping stuff for my own stuff instead of working for my company.

I'm not saying you should become a machinist... But if your interested in sales, there is a market for people sourcing work for machining companies. Lots of large companies are having trouble finding machine shops that are capable of producing parts within reasonable times. I think the right person could make a killing bringing these companies together. Feel free to pm me.

Good luck with what you choose!

-Ken

Marble

WKR
Maybe give some ideas on what you want to do? Generically, like sales, customer service, technical, outdoor etc. If you could choose anything to be doing in 5 years, what would it be?

What did you dream about doing when you were 13-14, and how do you spend most of your spare time? Those are two things you need to pay attention to when looking for a career.

If you just want a job that makes decent money and affords you time off, well there are lots of options there for someone with some common sense and hustle since those two things are in demand these days.

ChrisA

WKR
If shit hits the fan I'm buying a backhoe or mini excavator and repairing ag drainage tile and other earthwork, then maybe a tiling machine. Getting someone to show up anymore is a sumbitch; that goes for nearly anything construction related from what I've seen. Must be some demand for someone willing to get dirty and muddy.

Chris

Wapiti1

WKR
Trades that are always in demand: masonry, electrical, plumbing.

Sales is an option. Be very choosey in the company you get in with. Company culture is, IMO, very important to you liking what you do. I'd work in a field of little interest for a good company before I went to one doing what I love with poor culture. Working every day with people that hate being there is soul sucking.

Jeremy

eamyrick

WKR
Cop out West in Bozeman or somewhere that has awesome public land. Hunting isn’t getting any cheaper and this whole mess illuminates the importance of places to get outside. If you a crazy enough to want to move to Central Texas the PD or FD are really good options.

Voyageur

WKR
62 years old and recently retired so you know where I'm coming from...
If you approach it as most people do from the perspectives of job availability, growth of the field, income potential, etc. you will end up as most people do... stuck in a JOB and living for your off time.
The road less traveled is to pick a career based on your passion. What is it that you love doing? If the "career genie" granted you the wish of your dream job what would it be?
Go this route and you will have secured a huge chunk of happiness and contentment in your life. The world needs people who are passionate about their careers.

KurtR

WKR
Dirt track Race car driver, professional dog trainer, guide for fishing and hunting.

I do the fishing on hunting thing on the side now for a buddy pheasants in the fall and walleye when time allows. If I was young again I would go full I to that I love it. That would work with wanting to be a dog trainer love working with them to. Non of them are very practical though.

Being a concrete contractor name your price around here and work when you want

I've always wanted to open a small archery/hunting shop. Problem is that you would be the most busy when you want to be hunting! I really enjoy tinkering with different bow setups, etc. My real job is a Realtor. There are quite a few opportunities within real estate. The best thing about it is that I am in control of my schedule (for the most part). The other thing I really like is that things usually slow down around October which allows me to hunt more. However, It is fiercely competitive and you need to be able to endure large income ups and downs. Another plus is that it is relatively inexpensive to become licensed so if you hate it you are not out very much money. I think there's a stat where like 70% of Realtors quit before being in the business 5 years...

Ursus1975

FNG
I like this kind of topic because it allows me to sit and dream of the thing I would do. I would suggest not trying to figure out the rest of your life ,but just look at the next five years. What can you do now that you're young, no wife, no kids etc. This allows you opportunities that will otherwise change as your life changes. Sometimes it's who you know, not what you know! Make an effort to develop relationships with people you admire and respect. Good luck

If I had the stomach for medical I would get my EMT and be a full time firefighter. I am sure there are probably departments that dont run medical but you have a better chance at a nicer income/benefits package in a bigger combination department. Work about 10 days a month, decent pay, decent retirement.

Evol

Lil-Rokslider
If I had the stomach for medical I would get my EMT and be a full time firefighter. I am sure there are probably departments that dont run medical but you have a better chance at a nicer income/benefits package in a bigger combination department. Work about 10 days a month, decent pay, decent retirement.

This for me too. Grew up in NY, probably would have joined FDNY, take in 100k+ and do what I do now (software dev) on the side.

NUGGET

WKR
Honestly if I could go back in time I would of joined the military right at 18 for 20 years. Work on advancing as much as possible. I say this not based on any patriotic feelings towards my country, strictly money wise. Get out after 20 and live a life of govt programs to educate me on what I want to do. Don’t forget the preference military get for hiring. And of course all the discounts on everything from Lowe’s to pancakes at IHOP. Hell I have a friend right now towards the end of his military career and he works 4 days a month and bring home over 10k a month. He gets a lot of hunting in.

I have college funds setup for my kids but I really hope they go the military route.

Good luck in whatever path you chose!

sndmn11

WKR
All the ultra successful AND HAPPY people I know are genuine experts in something...anything, it doesn't really matter what. The more unique and specialized the better.

Pro953

WKR
One thing I always say is, no better way to ruin a passion or hobby by making it a job. I am sure others may have counter experience but that is my opinion.

The other thing I believe and was said above. Consider areas that are what some would describe a “un-sexy”. The more attractive the career the more folks want to be in that position which creates even more downward pressure on compensation. Learn and specialize in something that is not considered cool and you are more likely to find income and thrive. You can apply this to sales as well. Find a category that is somewhat unappealing, has some decent margin and a higher barrier to entry for competition and you can thrive.

Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clockwork

Lil-Rokslider
I'm about halfway through my Electrical Engineering degree at this moment. I only take a couple classes a semester so it's going to take me a while yet to finish.

I was an electrician for years and now work in gaming and I just wanted to do something I felt would be fun (we'll see lol) but also pays quite a good wage.