New Career. What would you do?

JustiSmi

FNG
My two cents on this matter and probably worth what you pay for it. Do something you enjoy to facilitate doing what you love. I played professional baseball for a few years before realizing that I started to hate the sport I loved as it was a constant grind. I retired and have found that love again with my son and have a job that allows me all the time I need to hunt & fish and play ball.
To the OP, If you find you enjoy working in Salesforce while getting those certs and doing the Trailheads, become the best Admin\Architect\Developer or whatever role you want to be and start a consulting\contracting company after you get some experience with a couple Salesforce shops.
I say this as a Salesforce Development manager leading a team of 5 engineers and having worked in Salesforce for 4 years now. I have 5 weeks of PTO a year that I can take, I'm 'working' right now as I type this from my basement in my reloading \ workshop room. Most tech companies also offer flex schedules where you can take longer weekends in addition to working remote. I work 9x9's and have every other Friday off and that is pretty standard in tech shops.
Salesforce offers so many resources to build a career around, and all you need to do is dedicate time to learning it. This a platform that isn't going anywhere and continues to grow and beat projections. There will always be a need for Admins, Architects and Engineers and that is worldwide, not just in the US. If you are curious about income, google the Mason Frank 2020 Salesforce Survey and it breaks it down by region and role.

FatCampzWife

Lil-Rokslider
I was a ag researcher for 30 years, & now teach science labs at a small liberal arts university. I love my current job, & enjoyed my previous job about 70% of the time. I always thought I would be a hippotherapist if I could do it over again. Combine my love of horses, teaching, & rooting for the underdog all in one.

Lelder

Lil-Rokslider
The Carpenters union has an amazing direct entry program for veterans and the trades pay very well, you get full benefits and can take as much time off as you can afford. I work for them you can PM me with any questions.👍

Alchemy

WKR
Surveyor
High voltage lineman
Real estate appraiser
Utility contractor
MEP contractor
Heavy civil/industrial foreman

lks2

FNG
as opposed to eating sleeping and playing video games at the firehouse and day and night and washing the fire truck. All my firefighters friends work so little they all have second jobs lol

You paint with an awful broad brush. Not all firemen have the luxury of being in N. Idaho. Next time you are in a city with a busy fire department, I'd encourage you to stop by a station and have a chat with the guys. You might be surprised to find they aren't "playing video games day and night".

My prerequisites are these...I must utilize my natural talents and enjoy the work, the business model must be based on renewable contracts so it can continue to grow and maintain predictable cas flow, lastly the business must serve the needs of others. It must provide something others do not.

Good luck in your quest.

MWK3800

FNG
I was in telecom engineering for 20 years and I felt like Peter Gibbons every day (remember Office Space?). I took classes and recntly got a 2nd degree in Parks and Natural Resources. Excited to start something new and I'm 47 years old. Getting paid to do what I want to will be icing on the cake.

The Carpenters union has an amazing direct entry program for veterans and the trades pay very well, you get full benefits and can take as much time off as you can afford. I work for them you can PM me with any questions.👍
No joke...my old man owns a beachfront, walled hacienda just north of Puerto Vallarta, in ground swimming pool, palm trees, whole nine yards, with his carpenter's union pension...spends half the year there.

ItemB

Lil-Rokslider
I'd think a real estate appraiser would be pretty good to.
Actually I need to get off my rear and work towards this.
When I bought my house there were 30-60days out. You make your own schedule, dont have to see people much could go like crazy then take season off.
And no drug testing.
Have you been able to find good info on where to start to become an appraiser or get liscensed? It was the same way when I refinced my house. Like I need to do more research, the first thing that came to mind, was try to become an appraiser on the side/part time while working regular job.

Also to add to the ops question I am about same age and don't know what I want to do either yet😅. But went the route of trade school. And got a pretty good job, but am starting to look for something different to change it up

Last edited:

Mr. Oats

FNG
Professional firefighter

You can still have a small side job or full time job depending on the schedule of the department where you work

RDT415

FNG
There is big money in AWS consulting. A friend of mine is working on his certs and he looks to be really enjoying what he is learning.

A dream job for me would be working at one of the large cloud providers on the sales side. I have been in the hardware and software sales dev sides of tech for almost 10 years. Good days and bad days like any job. But I would not change careers if I could go back again.

Woodrow F Call

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys, I'm looking for a change in my life and I figure this may be a great resource to get your thoughts.

I'm 30 and I've been running my own dive business since 2015 and prior to that I was in the Marines. I've decided to sell my half of the business and look for some new opportunities. I haven't spent much time in college as I decided to start a business and learn that way.

My question to you all is: What would you do if you could do it all over? What career paths do you see growing and developing in the future?

I've started my Saleforce Certs and Plan to look into Amazon Web Services as well. I'd like to buy or start another business down the road once I get some experience working in larger companies. I however don't have anything I care too much about, I just like working and a good challenge. I have no kids or wife and I'm happy traveling. If I have the ability to maintain some freedom that would be awesome. One reason i'm looking at salesforce and AWS is for the work from home and time off environment they can provide.

I do not want to go down the engineer, Dr, legal route.

Thank you guys for your time.

When I was young, I was going to be an Engineer, Musician, or Auto Mechanic. I decided to go Engineering. I still play music (some) and work on my own cars. If I were to know then, what I know now, that Auto Mechanic might be replaced with Millwright and I probably wouldn't be as scared of starving to death as a Musician, but I probably wouldn't change being an Engineer.

That being said, I did change from a plant position to a field service position (read I now have to travel for work). This was a conscious decision to get more time off and pay for every hour I work. It's still too new to tell, but I'm optimistic, but I should be able to move out west as I have been dreaming about for several years.

Laramie

WKR
CCW instructor would be a good side gig while you figure it out. Beyond that, if I had it all to do over again I would get into real estate. I have a couple of friends who have done very well for themselves and seem to have all the time in the world for whatever.

S.Clancy

WKR
Hey guys, I'm looking for a change in my life and I figure this may be a great resource to get your thoughts.

I'm 30 and I've been running my own dive business since 2015 and prior to that I was in the Marines. I've decided to sell my half of the business and look for some new opportunities. I haven't spent much time in college as I decided to start a business and learn that way.

My question to you all is: What would you do if you could do it all over? What career paths do you see growing and developing in the future?

I've started my Saleforce Certs and Plan to look into Amazon Web Services as well. I'd like to buy or start another business down the road once I get some experience working in larger companies. I however don't have anything I care too much about, I just like working and a good challenge. I have no kids or wife and I'm happy traveling. If I have the ability to maintain some freedom that would be awesome. One reason i'm looking at salesforce and AWS is for the work from home and time off environment they can provide.

I do not want to go down the engineer, Dr, legal route.

Thank you guys for your time.

You should look into underwater welding given your diving experience. They work on dams, oil rigs, etc. Exciting, very lucrative, and you already have a ton of experience in diving.

Tag_Soup

WKR
I taught high school physics and chemistry for 4 years right out of college. I swore I would never do that again; I'm starting to rethink it but still think that job isn't for me.

I then started in the brewing industry (since 2013). Being in the brewing industry was my DREAM job. Ten years ago, maybe even 5 years ago, was the heyday of the craft beer industry. Plenty of market share to go around, easy (relatively) to start a brewery and have it be successful enough to stay open. Now the industry unrecognizable. All large regional breweries are making hard seltzers etc just so they can keep the lights on without having to lay employees off. The days of making the beer you're passionate about (without regard for what sells the best) are gone. I finally made it to a large enough brewery with a job title that would sustainable or possibly migrate to another industry with the same job title. I'm 33, I have two step kids and hopefully will have my own child in the next year or so, and I hate my job. Brewing is no longer my passion and I dread going to work everyday. Don't get me wrong... the company I work for is fantastic and about the best I can imagine at the moment. But, my job duties and the industry have really gotten me down.

I'd like a career change, but I have no idea what it would be. Something outside.

edited: I'm not 30, I'm 33. I'm not sure how I managed that one.
What Brewery and Position? Shoot me a PM, I'm an Engineer in the sanitary process field and may know some industry contacts or have options for you.

I totally agree with the sentiment on the brewing industry. I used to work quite a bit with larger craft producers, but the last three years it has become so cutthroat and high stress that I have avoided it. Larger breweries are making huge money in seltzers, but its a rich mans game due to the blending technology required to be profitable... If I were a micro-brewery owner I would switch to bottling craft kombucha...

I do a lot of design work in dairy. Dairy was the same story as brewery but killed the industry 10 years earlier. Now it is cut throat beyond belief and facility employees are often under lots of pressure for little pay.

I have often thought of starting a small facility to do supplements and nutraceuticals, but the initial investment would take some financial backing and a lot of risk for someone with young kids and a stay at home spouse.

So far the most profitable segments I have seen are supplements, custom fertilizers, and high value ingredients. Pharma is highly profitable but not worth the legal risks and stress associated with validations processes...

If I had it to do over, I would have gotten my real estate license before going to college and focused there. Engineering is a decent living but I have missed a lot of time with my wife and kids...

Independent property claims adjuster is one of the best kept secrets in the business world. Your work is mostly outdoors, most work from home and set your own schedule. It has legitimate six figure potential and requires no advanced training or formal education. I'm been in the business for 16 years and can't think of anything else I'd rather be doing.

If you're single and willing to travel, catastrophe claims (think hurricanes, wild fires, large hail storms) can be an amazing opportunity. You'll make a years worth of salary in 3-6 months and the rest of the time is yours.
Any advice on how to break into this field? I was in P&C insurance sales for 13 years and always considered this as an option. Thanks!