New Career. What would you do?

The saying goes: Take what you love doing and figure out how to get paid for it. Nothing has changed.

I got extremely lucky to get a decnt paying job to coach a sport. I did try some side work (engineering that was my degree, then some real estate) to supplement income but I couldn't sustain the total workload and eventually, I got a raise with the coaching job and I couldn't be happier.

OXN939

WKR
Hey guys, I'm looking for a change in my life and I figure this may be a great resource to get your thoughts.

I'm 30 and I've been running my own dive business since 2015 and prior to that I was in the Marines. I've decided to sell my half of the business and look for some new opportunities. I haven't spent much time in college as I decided to start a business and learn that way.

My question to you all is: What would you do if you could do it all over? What career paths do you see growing and developing in the future?

I've started my Saleforce Certs and Plan to look into Amazon Web Services as well. I'd like to buy or start another business down the road once I get some experience working in larger companies. I however don't have anything I care too much about, I just like working and a good challenge. I have no kids or wife and I'm happy traveling. If I have the ability to maintain some freedom that would be awesome. One reason i'm looking at salesforce and AWS is for the work from home and time off environment they can provide.

I do not want to go down the engineer, Dr, legal route.

Thank you guys for your time.

Not sure how this has yet to be said, but have you considered ways to use your GI bill? You don't necessarily have to sign up for a long, protracted program like a JD or engineering degree to get good use out of it- I'm getting several iterations of pilot's license with mine. As much as going back to being a student sucks, it's really something that should not be left on the table.

I wish I had started with music production back in my 20s or teens instead of 3 years ago when I was 34. That’s what I like doing the most. Best part is you can work anywhere, don’t even need internet. No school, completely self taught, and no formal education to waste money and time on. I might turn it into a small business, but not sure I want to just yet.

Voyageur

WKR
Rich M said:
"You seem to be more ambitious and energetic than most, follow your intuition, seems like its been good to you so far."

Very well said and very good advice.

OP
S

sblount

FNG
Everyone, thank you all very much. This thread has definitely given me some things to look into and considerations.

My personal issue is that for the last 5 years I have done what I loved, however it has become a chore and sucked the life out of the sport for me. Front Line Freediving is the business if we have any free divers or spear fishermen on here. Ive been very fortunate things worked out and I had the ability to travel and dive all over the world. That being said the joy of diving has been gone for a while now. I just want a change of pace and to not ruin any other hobbies of mine. I'd be lying if I said I didn't want to make some more money for savings, investments, and personal trips. I love underwater, astro, and wildlife photography as well and sell some work but again I'm just not ready to try and go full time in an art.

I'm currently stuck in South Africa at the moment but we are sailing back across the Atlantic over the next few months. I'm taking the time to read everything I can and will be getting some books on a lot of these job fields to look into.

Thank you guys for being a great resource.

Last edited:

Coldtrail

WKR
The way I viewed things was that in order for me to make the most out of life was to get an outdoor job. I travel around my home state which is a form of scouting, spend lots of time on foot in the woods, also scouting & keeping in decent shape without needing to pay to stand on a treadmill someplace, and I talk to lots of people which opens the door for hunting info and access. Just be aware that these jobs rarely pay well, but will give you the opportunity to be hunting evenings and weekends while others are trying to work off their office weight or standing in the gun shop Saturday morning.

Forester, survey work, utility locator, irrigation, wildland fire, game warden, county ag rep, wildlife technician etc...there is a long list if you shop around

Mustang06

FNG
Like Coldtrail said...finding something tangential to your passion is a good middle ground.

I'm super passionate about wildlife and hunting, have been since I was a kid. Thought I wanted to be a biologist or Game Warden. I realized in my teenage years that if I did that I would always be working in hunting season, and that it might ruin my passion.
Then I found Forestry.
Get to work outside, be near and around wildlife, see different places, learn about ecology and how wildlife use habitat and how I can help create it...it was the best of both worlds. I get to dive into something that is connected to my main passion, but also doesn't ruin it.
Now...I'll never be rich, but I'm comfortable and can support my family...and I'm not stressing out chasing the dollar. I have a connection to my world and I can leave the forests a better place than I found them so my kids can enjoy wildlife too.
Like many others have said...finding something you can be passionate about and turning it into a job can have some really good and really bad sides to it. If you find something that can help you affect something your passionate about it seems to lessen those issues, in my experience.

Get really good at something. Don't necessarily limit yourself mentally. If being a cop or a hunting guide are something you really want to do for a long time, do it. But first consider all of your options and know that your possibilities are endless and you could do literally anything. Including making a bunch of money.
Getting a real estate license is totally doable and sets you up for a ton of lucrative opportunities. Be your own boss and hunt every weekend!

I taught high school physics and chemistry for 4 years right out of college. I swore I would never do that again; I'm starting to rethink it but still think that job isn't for me.

I then started in the brewing industry (since 2013). Being in the brewing industry was my DREAM job. Ten years ago, maybe even 5 years ago, was the heyday of the craft beer industry. Plenty of market share to go around, easy (relatively) to start a brewery and have it be successful enough to stay open. Now the industry unrecognizable. All large regional breweries are making hard seltzers etc just so they can keep the lights on without having to lay employees off. The days of making the beer you're passionate about (without regard for what sells the best) are gone. I finally made it to a large enough brewery with a job title that would sustainable or possibly migrate to another industry with the same job title. I'm 33, I have two step kids and hopefully will have my own child in the next year or so, and I hate my job. Brewing is no longer my passion and I dread going to work everyday. Don't get me wrong... the company I work for is fantastic and about the best I can imagine at the moment. But, my job duties and the industry have really gotten me down.

I'd like a career change, but I have no idea what it would be. Something outside.

edited: I'm not 30, I'm 33. I'm not sure how I managed that one.

Last edited:

Hhardrockminer

Lil-Rokslider
My son was 35 when he left the job he was doing and went to Tech school for Cad drafting, got on the deans list both years worked for Boeing during the summers and then after Graduating they put him on full time,Paying for him to get his degree so he can move up the ladder.
You can do anything if you really want to, just put your mind in the right place and go for it....I hope you do well in whatever you do
Stay safe, healthy and most of all FREE

Squamch

WKR
Haz Mat. An ever increasing business with plenty of public and private funding.

No way. Regulations are ever increasing as current ones are found lacking. The difference from the remediation of 10 years ago to now is massive. I will likely have major health issues from asbestos and lead remediation work, done following or even going overboard on all safety regulations. Before I started I had a full physical done so I would have proof of damage done from work...then my doctor retired and never passed on the files, so that was an awesome waste of time! Good thought though.

I manage a small powerline construction company. I’ve been in the industry for 20 years now. I absolutely love the storm response and disaster recovery side of the business. To go back and start over I would figure out how to exclusively do storm work.

Maverick1

WKR
You already have a unique skill set that many do not have.

It may or may not make sense to walk away from that and "start over".

You are looking for a change, completely understandable.

When I read your OP the career that immediately came to mind was underwater welder.

Utilizes your existing skill set, expands your knowledge base, makes you more marketable down the road for two occupations, and pays really well.

RazzleDazzle

Lil-Rokslider
This is a great thread. Puts a lot into perspective! To the OP, what I would say is find something else you enjoy or that peaks your interest. I understand your job kind of hurt your passion for what you do but dont let that be the norm. It's doesnt have to be like that the next time. Chasing your interests or passions can literally take you anywhere and that can open up opportunities beyond belief. Nothing is set in stone and people make drastic changes in their life at all ages. Theres more to life than a career. Theres finding other people with like interests, finding a place that is amazing and where you want to live for the rest of your life, a wife and kids, building a house....i was in your situation at one point and I didn't follow my interest but if I did I wouldn't have met my wife and had my kid and be what I am now. What you do now is something that takes a particular set of specialized skill. You can apply that ability to anything you do to make a living just as any man can. Focus on being happy and driven to be a good human being and I guarantee you'll find a great career.

Gen273

WKR
Find something that you enjoy, and that doesn't feel like work. Then go all the way regarding training and or education/certification at the highest level for that field. If you do that, you will earn the most possible in your field.

adam_c

FNG
Independent property claims adjuster is one of the best kept secrets in the business world. Your work is mostly outdoors, most work from home and set your own schedule. It has legitimate six figure potential and requires no advanced training or formal education. I'm been in the business for 16 years and can't think of anything else I'd rather be doing.

If you're single and willing to travel, catastrophe claims (think hurricanes, wild fires, large hail storms) can be an amazing opportunity. You'll make a years worth of salary in 3-6 months and the rest of the time is yours.