New chamber too tight? Rounds not fitting in new custom barrel

SDHNTR

WKR
Doesn’t sound like he’s a handloader. Probably doesn’t have bullets alone.

Sounds like you may have a couple issues going on. Perhaps a rough chamber body and perhaps some ammo loaded long or a chamber with a short throat.

Reactions: j33

SDHNTR

WKR
I was able to get 1 round chambered and after 5 mins of trying I managed to get it out. It had 0 bullet damage, I’ll look for it tomorrow for a picture. Now that I’m at home I’ll try the hand feed. Thanks
Try that with a sharpied bullet. Any contact on the bullet? Trying to see what’s grabbing. The brass or the bullet? Or both.

j33

WKR
Doesn’t sound like he’s a handloader. Probably doesn’t have bullets alone.

Sounds like you may have a couple issues going on. Perhaps a rough chamber body and perhaps some ammo loaded long or a chamber with a short throat.
Thanks yes I think it’s rough, I’ll see what the cotton swabs show.

Correct I’m not a hand loader, it’s with off the shelf Nosler 140g e tip and Winchester 125g Deer XP, so don’t think it’s an ammo thing.

Ucsdryder

WKR
I was able to get 1 round chambered and after 5 mins of trying I managed to get it out. It had 0 bullet damage, I’ll look for it tomorrow for a picture. Now that I’m at home I’ll try the hand feed. Thanks
You need a fired brass and a bullet. The mouth on the fired brass will have less tension than a loaded round and the bullet will be able to slide in and out without much effort.

Marble

WKR
I also seen this similar situation when there is debris in the area the lugs turn to lock the bolt. I had a gun do this in the field and it froze the bolt.

Ended up being a piece of grass.

Cleaning this area isn't a horrible idea. But from what you describe, your real issue is different than my theory.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

I got a carbon six prefit that was short, I had some 210 bergers I loaded leftover from the factory tikka barrel .02 off and they jammed real hard but shot incredible. I loaded some more .01 off and it shot great, it’s significantly shorter than the factory tikka barrel but shoots much better. Im not risking reaming and possibly losing accuracy, I’ll keep loading choads and sending them down range

j33

WKR
You need a fired brass and a bullet. The mouth on the fired brass will have less tension than a loaded round and the bullet will be able to slide in and out without much effort.

Updated on the Savage 110. The chamber needed to be cut slightly deeper then honed/deburred, 1 hour of work. Thanks everyone for the help.

ahard.270

FNG
I’m having a somewhat similar issue. I’m out of the lands and my bullets are tough to pull back out. What do you make of this. I wouldn’t think I got a carbon ring. New savage ultralight 300 wsm and only 40 rounds through it.

Attachments

• A62351C2-6BC4-4E93-A357-0E7EECDFAF92.jpeg
    A62351C2-6BC4-4E93-A357-0E7EECDFAF92.jpeg
    147.8 KB · Views: 20
  • 588388CC-46A1-40EC-BB5C-8FB706D2BC4A.jpeg
    588388CC-46A1-40EC-BB5C-8FB706D2BC4A.jpeg
    145.1 KB · Views: 20

Wrench

WKR
I’m having a somewhat similar issue. I’m out of the lands and my bullets are tough to pull back out. What do you make of this. I wouldn’t think I got a carbon ring. New savage ultralight 300 wsm and only 40 rounds through it.
Take a fired case and insert a bullet into the case mouth with some locktite or super glue....gently chamber and let it sit.

This will give you the actual dimension to the lands.

I'd also smoke the case to make sure you're not tight somewhere.