New compression sack for WM Badger

Mosby

WKR
Just bought a WM Badger bag and I want to buy a compression sack for it. I am leaning towards buying a Kifaru 5 string but I haven't seen them, outside of videos. My other option is a Sea to Summit e-vent bag. The Kifaru looks like it will save some space in my backpack, which is the only time I will be using it. Any reason not to go with the Kifaru? Let me know if you have that bag and if there is a better option.

Last edited:
Here is a pic of my WM Megalite (long) in the sack - I’d say it’s a little over half full. My WM Antelope (also long) just barely, and I mean barely, fits in the sack
9aa7baf0980f0bd7a2ac072cf5572b73.jpg

Just bought a WM Badger bag and I want to buy a compression sack for it. I am leaning towards buying a Kifaru 5 string but I haven't seen them, outside of videos. My other option is a Sea to Summit e-vent bag. The Kifaru looks like it will save some space in my backpack, which is the only time I will be using it. Any reason not to go with the Kifaru? Let me know if you have that bag and if there is a better option.

Remember that the more you compress the bag, the more damage you do to the down. So going insanely small isn’t the best idea.

As far as the compression options, I ran the event drybag but I was unhappy with the packed options. I switched to a custom zpack roll down bag and although it was nice, again it poorly fit in my backpack. I ended up using a kifaru 5 string, sized up for less compression if the down, and it’s awesome. It fits perfect in the stoneglacier and kifaru bags I have used. I also like that it is adjustable and the compression is not top down.

I can post a pic this evening. Also I run a badger 6 foot 6 in with overfill.

OP
Mosby

Mosby

WKR
Remember that the more you compress the bag, the more damage you do to the down. So going insanely small isn’t the best idea.

As far as the compression options, I ran the event drybag but I was unhappy with the packed options. I switched to a custom zpack roll down bag and although it was nice, again it poorly fit in my backpack. I ended up using a kifaru 5 string, sized up for less compression if the down, and it’s awesome. It fits perfect in the stoneglacier and kifaru bags I have used. I also like that it is adjustable and the compression is not top down.

I can post a pic this evening. Also I run a badger 6 foot 6 in with overfill.
I would prefer to get something that is relatively easy to get the bag back into, that I can compress. I don't necessarily want the smallest bag I can get it into. I would prefer the next size up. I think Aron recommended a medium in the 5 string for a 15 degree bag, so that is what I was thinking.

When it is freezing cold, raining or I am just tired as crap etc., I want to be able to pack up camp easily, without getting everything down to their absolute minimum. I am buying a new pack this year and I am going to get something bigger than my current bag, just to make packing up camp easier and provide some extra room, when I need it, packing out.

For the Sea To Summit event bag, I was thinking about getting either the 14 or the 20 liter(most likely the 20)

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
I like my sea to summit ultra sil for my WM Megalite 6"6". I "practice" putting the bag into the sack just standing up and stuffing. None of the sitting on the floor cramming every last bit like a fat girl cramming cake into her piehole. I am using a small which is a 10L. For your bag probably get a 15L and maybe even have to move up to a 20L.

Last edited:
Ok so here is the badger inside both types of bags. The light tan bag is the normal bag for the badger. The blue bag is a 20l sea to summit. The second is the kifaru.

The kifaru is by far and away much faster to get in and out of and way easier to customize the fit needed for your backpack.

Attachments

• F6E7FB1E-B447-400A-9667-401BD884CBAD.jpeg
    F6E7FB1E-B447-400A-9667-401BD884CBAD.jpeg
    201.6 KB · Views: 57
  • 787AE2B7-F956-4218-B119-8E7F2B7F5F9E.jpeg
    787AE2B7-F956-4218-B119-8E7F2B7F5F9E.jpeg
    217.3 KB · Views: 54
  • FB602429-A052-4FE2-8DEC-3DA3E087B9F8.jpeg
    FB602429-A052-4FE2-8DEC-3DA3E087B9F8.jpeg
    176.3 KB · Views: 50
  • 0356CE2B-7C2C-4739-A2D8-5849C09A7C13.jpeg
    0356CE2B-7C2C-4739-A2D8-5849C09A7C13.jpeg
    199.3 KB · Views: 51
  • 658D3557-829E-4F50-9C50-A2D8FE734125.jpeg
    658D3557-829E-4F50-9C50-A2D8FE734125.jpeg
    193.2 KB · Views: 55
OP
Mosby

Mosby

WKR
Ok so here is the badger inside both types of bags. The light tan bag is the normal bag for the badger. The blue bag is a 20l sea to summit. The second is the kifaru.

The kifaru is by far and away much faster to get in and out of and way easier to customize the fit needed for your backpack.
Ok. I am going to try the Kifaru 5 string. Thanks to everyone for their ideas, pictures and information. Extremely helpful.

#1antler

Lil-Rokslider
One thing to consider is the sea to summit event bag is waterproof whereas the Michaud 5 string is not

sndmn11

WKR

I was under the impression that compression while wet can cause damage over long periods, but compression while dry does not. My impression comes from various manufacturers talking about dry compressed storage specifically relating to down. This is from Western Mountaineering's FAQ page http://www.westernmountaineering.com/faqs/
"Will my bag be ruined if I keep it compressed?
Contrary to popular belief, bags stored compressed can get their loft back as long as they were stored dry. NEVER store a bag wet. If you accidentally store a bag compressed, take it out and shake it vigorously. If the down is very compacted try putting it in the dryer on no heat with tennis balls. If this still does not fully get the loft back the down may be clumped due to moisture and dirt from use and is in need of washing."

I was under the impression that compression while wet can cause damage over long periods, but compression while dry does not. My impression comes from various manufacturers talking about dry compressed storage specifically relating to down. This is from Western Mountaineering's FAQ page http://www.westernmountaineering.com/faqs/
"Will my bag be ruined if I keep it compressed?
Contrary to popular belief, bags stored compressed can get their loft back as long as they were stored dry. NEVER store a bag wet. If you accidentally store a bag compressed, take it out and shake it vigorously. If the down is very compacted try putting it in the dryer on no heat with tennis balls. If this still does not fully get the loft back the down may be clumped due to moisture and dirt from use and is in need of washing."

Yah that’s basically what wm told me I should be doing. But I’ve gotten so used to not fully compressing and I’ve noticed that by doing that, I don’t have to do the reloft trick (ball).

These bags are a small fortune to me so I try and play safe.

Ok. I am going to try the Kifaru 5 string. Thanks to everyone for their ideas, pictures and information. Extremely helpful.

Incase I didn’t point it out, I barely compressed the bag in the 5 string. I did it just enough to fit sideways in my stoneglacier 3300/5900 and my kifaru cavern/dB. This gives me almost a perfect platform in my bag and also, the weight added helps with additional compression.

It’s also fast fast fast to get it in and out.

OP
Mosby

Mosby

WKR
Incase I didn’t point it out, I barely compressed the bag in the 5 string. I did it just enough to fit sideways in my stoneglacier 3300/5900 and my kifaru cavern/dB. This gives me almost a perfect platform in my bag and also, the weight added helps with additional compression.

It’s also fast fast fast to get it in and out.
I will do the same. I am planning on buying a SG 5900 this year, so it should work well. Thanks.