New cooking stove advice.

Gapmaster

WKR
Used a jetboil for years. It finally took a crap on me. Thinking of trying something new. Tell me what you use and why I should try it. Gonna buy several and test them out this summer. I only use it for drinks and rehydration of foods.

ILIKEGEAR

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
If not a Jetboil then we'd recommend a MSR. The windburner works great.

UA_Blake

FNG
I would recommend a stove that has a pressure regulator for cold temps. I have a Jetboil Zip and this fall temps dropped enough to where the stove wouldnt function. I have used an MSR Reactor and a Jetboil Minimo and liked both.

CAH

FNG
Which MSR stove has adjustable heat? I like the idea of the minimo but have heard that they are not a hunter friendly company. Is MSR made in the USA?

I second the windburner. I think all the MSR stoves ive used have an adjustable flame but the windburner doesnt really go crazy low for simmering and stuff. Its either on or REALLY ON in my experience but its very efficient and its nice not worrying so much about a pot falling off. If you want ultralight and dont mind a non attachable pot i really like the soto windmaster with a titanium pot of your choice

OP
Gapmaster

Gapmaster

WKR
Yeah I've been thinking of trying the non attachable pot route. Looked at the Soto, PocketRocket2, and have even talked to a few guys who have had some good luck out of the Amazon knock off brands. When you read "doesn't do well in wind", What exactly are we saying? Doesn't do well above tree line in a wind storm or doesn't perform with light gusty breezes? Guess that's why I just need to buy a couple and try them out myself.

Idk both the soto and msr i have do fine in wind it seems, with the edge definitely going to the msr windburner but i havent honestly attempted to put that to the test myself this is just observation from memory really. I find the windburner boils water faster too. I watched and read a bunch of reviews and decided on the soto over the pocketrocket2 for my lightweight one but im an oz counter lol, either would be fine.

I've used an MSR Simmerlite for years and years for backpacking and for general purpose in my shop (such as steaming water for rust bluing gun metal). I'm still always surprised at how little fuel it uses and always works reliably.

stvnshnn

Lil-Rokslider
I have and use the Pocket Rocket Deluxe with the piezo ignitor. Adjustable heat/intensity and it works well. I cook almost exclusively in the vestibule of the tent so wind isn't a big issue (for midday coffee, it works to use my pack as a wind block). I like the stove. I like the use of the ignitor button. It's not the lightest or smallest option, but it fits into the pot I use and is super reliable.

*zap*

WKR
Pocket rocket and a dragonfly for cold temps...

Or for one that does it all:
An Optimus Polaris which will take isobutane, liquid fuel (white gas + others) and propane with an adapter....it puts out the heat also.....maybe more than the dragonfly.

sneaky

"DADDY"
You guys can always call Jetboil and ask. Snyder has dealt with them multiple times and has zero to lose or gain by telling what his experiences were. MSR builds a better stove anyways, and they build them here.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Vandy321

WKR
Why a windburner over the reactor? Similar size, burns less fuel, more of an actual pot vs a cup?

Don't own either, I use a pocket rocket 2 but am thinking of a self contained setup

Why a windburner over the reactor? Similar size, burns less fuel, more of an actual pot vs a cup?

Don't own either, I use a pocket rocket 2 but am thinking of a self contained setup
For me it was cost and weight savings. Never seen a reactor in person tho so maybe i just dont know what im missing but I've never felt like the windburner was lacking really

Rob5589

WKR
I use the Soto Amicus, works great, can simmer, very stable. Downside is the igniter is so so in the cold but I always have a mini bic with my set up so not an issue. I have used one of the Amazon cheapo stoves and it works but certainly not as refined nor as good in the wind.

sargent

WKR
I have the Pocket Rocket 2 and have been happy with it. As far as "does not do well in wind", it will continue to burn in some serious gusts, it just takes longer and uses more fuel to boil the same amount of water when the flame is being blown out from under the pot. Placing it in a protected area (tent vestibule, on the lee side of big rock or log, etc.) when it's windy takes care of this for me. The PR2, Toaks 650 ml mug, Toaks titanium long spoon, and a mini bic weighs about 7.5 ounces.

OP
Gapmaster

Gapmaster

WKR
Although I was leaning towards a new stove, I hadn't realized they had a new Jetboil Stash out. Any of you guys have thoughts on them. I've researched quite a bit on them and I'm thinking of giving it a shot. It's very similar to the other stoves I was looking at but I think I like the setup a little better.

Soto Windmaster in summer and fair weather trips.

Use an MSR Windburner later in the season.

I would recommend this setup to anyone provided they aren't hunting in sub-zero temps. Then go for a liquid fuel stove

Sherman

WKR
I have the Soto Windmaster and an MSR. Soto is my go-to and never had an issue.