New crispi boot treatment

Pflum

FNG
I just bought a pair of Crispi West Rivers. They give some instructions on care and maintenance, but don't state if they need any initial treatment. Are they treated at factory and good to go for a while or should I treat them while they are still new and clean?

Rock-o

WKR
They are not treated from the factory. Yes, treat brand new boots.

https://www.crispius.com/waterproofing-cream

Of course, you're free to use whatever product you want and some will suggest various alternative products. BUT, I use what the manufacturer says to. And the link above is what Crispi says to use on Crispi boots... no surprise.

Last edited:
I agree with Rock-o. Treat them before wearing them with a Crispi product. You have to buy something anyway, why not buy what the bootmaker sells and recommends? If you use anything else, you risk damaging the rand or other vulcanizing compounds used to construct the boot. I'm sure no bootmaker will honor the warranty on your boots if you have a problem and they determine you used another product.

Motown

WKR
I’m glad this was brought up because my wild rock’s just got delivered last week and didnt realize they had to be treated from new. I did buy the Crispi waterproof cream with the boots and just treated them when I read this👍🏻

A good tip I can offer is to use seamgrip sealer on all the exposed seams before anything [so it sticks properly} This will add MUCH life to your boots. It leaves a light rubberized covering that protects the stitching and adds waterproofing as well. Once it dries then you can add a good boot wax to the rest of the boots. I clean and apply a new coating of seamgrip each year. I re wax my boots anytime they get wet or at least 4-5 times a year. If I plan to store my boots for a bit I apply an oil to them before that. I have 10 year old boots that still have good stitching!