New CVA Accura LR-X .45

Finally got my CVA Accura LR-X over the weekend. Kind of a budget long range muzzle loader. I topped it with a Vortex Diamondback Tactical 4-16x44. I was able to figure up a simple dope chart on the Sterlok app and we shot it out to 600 yards just for fun. I can't wait to get it chronographed and a exact BC and figure up a complete dope. Im shooting 77 grains (weighed) of Blackhorn 209 and the .45 cal 280 grain power belt ELRs. I'll see if I can put the hammer down on a deer since we have a couple days left LOL. Shout out to www.muzzle-loaders.com for checking my order status every other week since March! 😅 They where very good to deal with.20211003_151911.jpg20211003_151905.jpg
Overall the fit and finish of the gun is great. Love how it feels and with the muzzle brake recoil is almost a dull thump. Very happy with it. Definitely an update in the long range Dept over my TC Hawken .50 since Utah changed to allowing optics on muzzleloaders.

Badass. I got the same gun a few months back, except in 45. Gotta start stretching it out. How many charge weights did you try before landing on 77?

OP
SavageSurveyor
Badass. I got the same gun a few months back, except in 45. Gotta start stretching it out. How many charge weights did you try before landing on 77?
I actually just went to the max charge weight and sent it. Ill work up some steps and group it hopefully before the muzzleloader anybull starts. This was just to get me on target lol. I was kind of disappointed at how low the max charge was. Im wondering if anyone will work up a stiffer load than manufacture spec? The claim it will handle 150 gr of peletized T7 but only 110 of blackhorn, but in one guys testing the T7 had a faster higher pressure curve than blackhorn. Who knows but at least im shooting decent for now lol.

I actually just went to the max charge weight and sent it. Ill work up some steps and group it hopefully before the muzzleloader anybull starts. This was just to get me on target lol. I was kind of disappointed at how low the max charge was. Im wondering if anyone will work up a stiffer load than manufacture spec? The claim it will handle 150 gr of peletized T7 but only 110 of blackhorn, but in one guys testing the T7 had a faster higher pressure curve than blackhorn. Who knows but at least im shooting decent for now lol.
I may goof with mine this weekend. Got on paper using T7 but have 4 jugs of BH209 to play with. Can't find 209M to save my ass but have a case of 209 regulars. Will let you know if I see anything special.

Rudebob

FNG
I could be wrong but I was thinking the max load for the Accura, when using Blackhorn 209, was 120 grains by volume or 84 grains by weight. Where did you come up with the 110 volume/ 77 by weight max load reference?

I will be developing loads for the same gun in the next few weeks and want to make sure I am not pushing it.

OP
SavageSurveyor
I could be wrong but I was thinking the max load for the Accura, when using Blackhorn 209, was 120 grains by volume or 84 grains by weight. Where did you come up with the 110 volume/ 77 by weight max load reference?

I will be developing loads for the same gun in the next few weeks and want to make sure I am not pushing it.
That's just what the user manual says for 45 cal. I think it is 120/84 for the 50 cal.

OP
SavageSurveyor
20211005_225520.jpg
20211005_225512.jpg
Got it done today. 322 yards! Hit him about two inches left and 3 inches higher than where I was aiming. It was the perfect spot, stalk, shoot, track and clean. Very good hunt!

Rudebob

FNG
Wow, nice deer, way to get it done! Congratulations!

So I reached out to CVA this morning and they confirmed your load data as being correct for the .45. I guess it is a good thing I saw your post because I already have several different charges weighed out including 80 and 84 grain to start developing loads as soon as my chronograph comes in (although I am sure there is a huge safety factor built in to the limits). Based on all the limited data I have gleaned from the web I was expecting 80 grains to likely be the best probable load. So maybe that will change now.

How did you calculate your dope chart without a chrono, did you plot it based on actual distance fired? What kind of drop did you factor for the 322 yard kill shot? Sorry for all the questions, however, I feel like I am again starting from scratch if I have to dial back the charge a bit. I completely new to this ML deal and have a cues whitetail hunt in 5 weeks so I have got my work to do.

OP
SavageSurveyor
Wow, nice deer, way to get it done! Congratulations!

So I reached out to CVA this morning and they confirmed your load data as being correct for the .45. I guess it is a good thing I saw your post because I already have several different charges weighed out including 80 and 84 grain to start developing loads as soon as my chronograph comes in (although I am sure there is a huge safety factor built in to the limits). Based on all the limited data I have gleaned from the web I was expecting 80 grains to likely be the best probable load. So maybe that will change now.

How did you calculate your dope chart without a chrono, did you plot it based on actual distance fired? What kind of drop did you factor for the 322 yard kill shot? Sorry for all the questions, however, I feel like I am again starting from scratch if I have to dial back the charge a bit. I completely new to this ML deal and have a cues whitetail hunt in 5 weeks so I have got my work to do.
Thanks man! I just sighted in zero at 100 yards and 0 set my turret caps. Then I put in the Sterlok app .45 cal, .333 BC, I guessed I was around 2000 fps, I put in the temperature and my elevation and average pressure. Then I shot at 200, and 300 and I was getting a little more drop than the app was calculating. I shot at 400 and was a couple inches low so I adjusted velocity down to 1900 and it was right on. A few shots at 600 and I was pretty dang close elevation wise. It will be good enough till I Chrono my setup and see what the BC actually is at my elv. So when I shot my deer it was easy as using a range finder, typing it into the app and hitting calculate, then adjust turret to the moa's specified. My case was 11.3 so I went to 11.25 and let her fly. 👍Screenshot_20211006-113411_Strelok.jpg

Rudebob

FNG
Thanks for that information. Just based on an approximate extrapolation of internet data only i would guess a MV of 1900fps is probably pretty close using 77 grain by weight BH209 and the ELR's, even with a 30 inch barrel. Hopefully, the chrono comes in and I will find out next weekend. I will let you know what I am coming up.

Obviously you were successful, but were you happy with the expansion of the ELR? A lot of people have been critical of the Power Belts, although most complaints have been against different style/weight/caliber PB's than the .45 ELR's.

OP
SavageSurveyor
Thanks for that information. Just based on an approximate extrapolation of internet data only i would guess a MV of 1900fps is probably pretty close using 77 grain by weight BH209 and the ELR's, even with a 30 inch barrel. Hopefully, the chrono comes in and I will find out next weekend. I will let you know what I am coming up.

Obviously you were successful, but were you happy with the expansion of the ELR? A lot of people have been critical of the Power Belts, although most complaints have been against different style/weight/caliber PB's than the .45 ELR's.
I can't really speak to expansion as I did get a pass through but there was a big exit hole and he lost a LOT of blood. In fact that's how I found him I followed his blood trail 150 yards and found him. I hit him like 3 inches high, like right below the backstrap. I think I got a lung but there was pretty good wound channel everything around it was dark blood and mush. I wouldn't hesitate to use the ELRs for anything.