New CVA LR-X in .45 on the way, load advice?

Limited muzzle loader experience 30+ years ago. Upgrading and looking for a load recommendation to try. Also, advice on powder management. What is best for in the field use as hunting is my ultimate goal with this rifle. Pre-measure by volume or by weight?

GMB54-120

Lil-Rokslider
The talk on the forums atm is the CVA 45cal bores are running large. So if thats the case the current sabots are gunna need a bullet larger than .400. You will need a .401-.402 and maybe larger. Fury Custom bullets can handle that part. A Harvester light blue sabot is .454 loaded OD with a 40cal bullet and thats not gunna be tight enough in a bore with .452+ lands.

Sadly your best bet atm is the PowerBelt ELR for 45s and they aint cheap. They are also made for Paramount type speeds so your results in a LRX/MRX might vary. You cant shoot them as fast in your rifle.

Sure hope you stocked up on BH209 too because the rod included is for loading ONLY. Its not for swabbing between shots you will need if using Triple7.

I just purchased the same gun in the 50 cal. I'm excited to hear how you like your 45. I have not been able to shoot it yet but I think i have everything I need to make it go boom except the Leupold scope that is on backorder. I should have it by early January. Then it will be non stop load development until i can find a keeper for Utah deer next year. I was hoping to install a pic rail to mount a EOL bipod but the manafacture says its not a good idea.

1. Get some BH209. Pre-measure by mass. My load in my Knught UL is 80 grains, it's fairly hot in that gun. Keep it in waterproof tubes, and keep the tubes in a Magpul Daka pouch
2. Get Federal or CCI 209 Magnum primers. Not the muzzleloader specific ones.
3. Forget the stupid sabots and Powerbelts. That was a bandaid for a proper solution. Buy Parker, ASG, or similar bullets and take the time to set up a swaging die for your bore. Well worth the effort.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

GMB54-120

Lil-Rokslider
3. Forget the stupid sabots and Powerbelts. That was a bandaid for a proper solution. Buy Parker, ASG, or similar bullets and take the time to set up a swaging die for your bore. Well worth the effort.
That is useless if the lands are pushing .453 which some have been reported on other forums. No Pakers run large enough to swage down. No ASG are large enough and Fury atm can only knurl up so far. He should be working on a bullet for the oversized CVA 45s but atm a .453 is the largest he offers.

When you get the MR-X 45 take any .452 bullet (measure it to make sure the size) and see if it falls down with just the weight of the rod. If it does you are gunna have some issues with sabotless.

Last edited:
Yikes, that is an issue! Glad I didn't end up with one of those.
It's a great way to go, but if the bore is too big then ASG and Parker are out unfortunately.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

GMB54-120

Lil-Rokslider
One guy just got his back from CVA. Their solution was to include a pack of PowerBelt ELRs with the returned rifle. Which was nice of them....i guess if you only want to be able to shoot Powerbelts.