New Day/Overnight Pack

I have read a lot of threads but these leading companies are constantly changing, often improving on product lines. Hoping for some more recent recommendations based on experience. Uses will be:

—Day hunting from the truck about 25 days a year. I hunt whitetail, black bear and hogs on public land. I often walk or even ride my bike two to five miles from the truck. Last year I packed several deer out and one hog. I have been using a Mystery Ranch Popup 28 and like it but need a little more space. Going to give that pack to my teenage son.

—Once or twice a year I will do an overnight. Hike into an area I want to hunt and spend all the next day hunting. Then hike out.

—I like to train/ruck just for fitness and exercise. So throwing 50 pounds on my back for that.

Looking at various Seek Outside offerings as well as the Exo 1800. Open to others. Kifaru offers so much I got a little overwhelmed on their site.

One more thing. I am 6’3” with pretty deep lumbar curve in my lower back. I weigh 215.

Thanks!

I really prefer how efficient and simple the exo line is

But my kifaru packs weight a little better but still isn't what I consider perfect.

The Stryker xl or straight jacket sound like they would fit your use pretty well.

From what I've been reading seek my fit my body type better

But I won't be able to afford to try one till next year.

With so many options id suggest just getting whatever one caught your eye and try it out.
The used market is pretty good.

There just only so much you can gain reading. Really just have to get it strapped on.

Rokwiia

WKR
With Seek Outside, you'd first have to decide if you want the breakway capability. If so, then what size bag. Based on what you describe, I'd look at a Fortress 4,800 or Goshawk 4,800 if you want a main-bag zipper. I opted for the Fortress 6,300 as it weighs only 3oz more than the Fortress 4,800.

If you don't want or need the breakaway capability you can choose the integrated platform and save some weight. For example, the Unaweep 4,800 is 5oz lighter than the Fortress 4,800. I also have a SO backpack on the integrated platform, a Gila, and love it.

The best part of SO is you can choose one setup, say a Peregrine 3,500, and if you find you need more volume, simply buy one of their larger bags separately ans swap out the smaller one for the larger one. That's what I've done with their integrated line. I got the Gila (3,500ci), then got a 4,800 bag, and just ordered a 6,300 bag.

If you don't need breakaway capability, you could get a Unaweep 6,300 and use it as a day pack as well. If you order it in X21, it should weigh in around 3.5 lbs. It did that for 3 years with the Fortress 6,300.

Ask away with any questions you have about Seek Outside. We've all been through the decision process and know it helps to bounce things around with others.

OP
Bezamaelee
With Seek Outside, you'd first have to decide if you want the breakway capability. If so, then what size bag. Based on what you describe, I'd look at a Fortress 4,800 or Goshawk 4,800 if you want a main-bag zipper. I opted for the Fortress 6,300 as it weighs only 3oz more than the Fortress 4,800.

If you don't want or need the breakaway capability you can choose the integrated platform and save some weight. For example, the Unaweep 4,800 is 5oz lighter than the Fortress 4,800. I also have a SO backpack on the integrated platform, a Gila, and love it.

The best part of SO is you can choose one setup, say a Peregrine 3,500, and if you find you need more volume, simply buy one of their larger bags separately ans swap out the smaller one for the larger one. That's what I've done with their integrated line. I got the Gila (3,500ci), then got a 4,800 bag, and just ordered a 6,300 bag.

If you don't need breakaway capability, you could get a Unaweep 6,300 and use it as a day pack as well. If you order it in X21, it should weigh in around 3.5 lbs. It did that for 3 years with the Fortress 6,300.

Ask away with any questions you have about Seek Outside. We've all been through the decision process and know it helps to bounce things around with others.
Thanks so much. This is very helpful!

Rokwiia

WKR
One other thing to think about with SO. They have four materials too choose from...three thicknesses of X-Pac and then SpectraGrid. The gray is the thinest and is X21, the camo is thicker and is X33 and the olive green is the thickest is X42. The Spectragrid is about the same weight as the X21, maybe a hair less.

The X21 and X42 feel similar except for thickness. The camo fabric has a cordura outer and has a different feel to it than the other two.

The determination of which fabric you choose depends on how and where you use it. Where I go it is wet so the X-Pac fabric is a must. You are in the Great Smokey Mountains where it is also wet so X-Pac rather than SpectraGrid is probably a better choice.

gil_wy

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been loving my 14’r… light, slim and I’ve done up to 5-days with the organizer lid. Also run it with 60# of sand for training. So far, I’d say it’s just what you’re looking for.

OP
Bezamaelee
Thanks everyone for the input. Went with the Exo 1800. Did a short training hike today with about 40 lbs. I will dial it in over the next week. Can’t wait to get it bloody!

Last edited: