New DCF (cuben fiber), shelters

slim9300

WKR
I have noticed a difference, DCF seems to have much less issues with condensation than sil. I don’t know why that is, but it definitely is so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have found the same.

Not to mention it doesn’t absorb water like sil and can just be shook out when soaked. That’s a big weight savings for guys that hunt with their camp on their back or move often, and it never seems to be factored into weight decisions.

I absolutely love my UltaMid 4. Someday soon I will pickup a 1/2 floor insert to go with my full. It really is the perfect shelter for two guys if you either want a floor or don’t need a stove. I like a lot of space to keep my gear dry and the height of course.

Last edited:

Beendare

WKR
I remember the thread but I don’t remember reading any scientific-based report regarding why DCF has less condensation issues.

Maybe it was linked from a thread on the BPL site but Ive seen an explanation of the “Why” of condensation and that the reflective properties of the dcf material helps to mitigate it. There are other factors of course.

The strategic located vents in my Sil tipi almost eliminate condensation due to air flow/convection current- whatever you want to call it.

OP
AK Troutbum
Maybe it was linked from a thread on the BPL site but Ive seen an explanation of the “Why” of condensation and that the reflective properties of the dcf material helps to mitigate it. There are other factors of course.

The strategic located vents in my Sil tipi almost eliminate condensation due to air flow/convection current- whatever you want to call it.

I got on BPL yesterday and looked around for a while trying to find any kind of scientific explanation but I didn’t come up with anything. I did find a write-up, but it was basically just folks giving their opinions.