New DCF (cuben fiber), shelters

So along with Seek Outside coming out with some shelters being offered in DCF, Six Moon Designs is now back making a couple of their shelters in DCF as well as Hyperlite Mountain Gear will also be offering some new shelters this spring (HMG’s only makes their shelters in DCF). Anyway, I just thought I’d let folks know that there are a few more options out there if you’re looking at getting a new cuben fiber shelter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

superA

WKR
So along with Seek Outside coming out with some shelters being offered in DCF, Six Moon Designs is now back making a couple of their shelters in DCF as well as Hyperlite Mountain Gear will also be offering some new shelters this spring (HMG’s only makes their shelters in DCF). Anyway, I just thought I’d let folks know that there are a few more options out there if you’re looking at getting a new cuben fiber shelter.

Where are you finding info on hmg?

Trial153

WKR

Have you noticed any difference in condensation build up in DCF vs silnylon single walled shelters of similar design?

OP
AK Troutbum
Have you noticed any difference in condensation build up in DCF vs silnylon single walled shelters of similar design?

I have noticed a difference, DCF seems to have much less issues with condensation than sil. I don’t know why that is, but it definitely is so.

Trial153

WKR
I have noticed a difference, DCF seems to have much less issues with condensation than sil. I don’t know why that is, but it definitely is so.

Thats an interesting observation. Thank you. Youd think if the difference would negate say the need for liners in a silnylon shelter, then offset of the Initial weight saving would be even greater.

I wonder if there are any industry insiders, builders ect that can shed light on that.

Beendare

WKR

Its a fact with DCF- less condensation. Seems like we talked about the science behind it here before - pretty sure I posted the links here previously. Long discussions over on BPL.

The reflective properites of dcf help, though it doesnt solve it completely.

oenanthe

WKR
New HMG DCF shelters? Well, you got my attention. Thanks for the heads-up! And I've been intrigued by the SMD Deschutes - would love to see one in person.

I haven't used it yet, but I picked up a DCF Duomid over the winter. Weight is 13 oz. bare. The workmanship is truly exceptional. The peak reinforcement is now made of DCF hybrid material. Intending this for solo trips or trips with my wife. It would be too small for trips with my 6'3" sheep partner - love him like a brother, but we need a bigger tent than a Duomid, LOL.

My only beef with my new Duomid is that the length is advertised as 110". Maybe that's true for the silnylon version, but mine measures 106" which makes it a little tight for me. Time (and use) will tell!

New HMG DCF shelters? Well, you got my attention. Thanks for the heads-up! And I've been intrigued by the SMD Deschutes - would love to see one in person.

I haven't used it yet, but I picked up a DCF Duomid over the winter. Weight is 13 oz. bare. The workmanship is truly exceptional. The peak reinforcement is now made of DCF hybrid material. Intending this for solo trips or trips with my wife. It would be too small for trips with my 6'3" sheep partner - love him like a brother, but we need a bigger tent than a Duomid, LOL.

My only beef with my new Duomid is that the length is advertised as 110". Maybe that's true for the silnylon version, but mine measures 106" which makes it a little tight for me. Time (and use) will tell!

How tall are you?

Been interested in a DCF shelter lately. With all these new options is there a design that you prefer over others? Been thinking about the Seek Outside but not sure

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Spoonage

FNG
Anyone heard or used Yama Mountain Gear. They also make DCF tents. I haven't bought a new tent in 10+ years... Saw them in a search and figured I would add it to the list of tents in discussion here. Starting to look at new tents to replace my current.

OP
AK Troutbum
Seems like we talked about the science behind it here before - pretty sure I posted the links here previously. Long discussions over on BPL.

The reflective properites of dcf help, though it doesnt solve it completely.
I remember the thread but I don’t remember reading any scientific-based report regarding why DCF has less condensation issues.

OP
AK Troutbum
how is that DCF material in snow? It looks like it would be weak.

DCF is much stronger than sil but it’s not as abrasion resistant. I don’t have very much experience with it in snow and I have no experience with it in heavy snow, but it’s my understanding that it doesn’t shed snow as well as sil. In my limited experience, I had no issues with it shedding snow. It also doesn’t stretch/sag at all like sil does.

oenanthe

WKR
How tall are you?

6'1". So far I've only set up the Duomid in my living room, pitched tight to the carpet. With a Helium 15 bag, there's adequate room if I lie on the diagonal, but otherwise it's a bit tight. It would be worse lying on my NeoAir, obviously. I think it'll be OK but I may need to use the mid-panel tie-outs to get a bit more space.

I normally don't use a bivy bag so I like to have plenty of space near my feet to avoid getting any condensation on my sleeping bag. I've never had a DCF shelter so I'm hoping the claims of less condensation are true.

Although I found out last fall that a lot of what I thought was bad condensation in my old sil shelter was actually leaking fabric. On my last solo hunt where it rained almost every day, I would dry off the inside with a bandanna and yet it would be dripping heavily again 5 minutes later. Even a dummy like me finally realized it was more than just condensation. Let's just say I am now highly triggered by condensation. :)

Last edited:

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Kevin, have you noticed the lesser condensation with any of the DCF shelters you've tested?

I have not measured it . IMO there is no condensation , a small amount of condensation and a fair amount . Once it's a fair amount it doesn't matter much to me .

Anyone heard or used Yama Mountain Gear. They also make DCF tents. I haven't bought a new tent in 10+ years... Saw them in a search and figured I would add it to the list of tents in discussion here. Starting to look at new tents to replace my current.

I can not add anything regarding DCF shelters other than I would like to try one if I could get it to make sense in the budget.

But I can say that I had a positive experience with Yama Mountain Gear. I was looking for a dry bag with unusual dimensions two years ago. Very small custom project but Gen was open to it. Quick delivery due to a spot in his schedule, good communication, good price, and great quality. They have an interesting design for one of their shelters and a smaller but loyal following. Don't know their feelings regarding hunting but they know trail miles.