New Digiscoping Option—MagView **Review Added 8/3/22**

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I’ve had one for a few weeks now (well, actually two, as there is a binocular option —the B1, and a spotting scope option—the S1.)

They’re just becoming available today, so wanted to get some experience with the system before posting.

It’s called MagView, as it uses a rare earth magnet on any phone or phone case (making it a universal adapter) and a small ring that attaches to your eyepiece on any binocular or spotting scope (there could be an exception out there).

It works well and is lightweight and fast (with some practice)

It took me about 15 minutes to install and start using proficiently, then a few more uses to become efficient.

Like all adapters, you have to fine tune to eliminate the vignette ring. I’m getting pretty good at it now.

This video shows it on the Swarovski ATS 20-60X65mm and Zeiss SFL 10x40.

*one clarification that Tony caught, the magnet is on optic ring, not on the phone so there is no effect on the compass. Good catch Tony!

Also, the MAGVIEW systems are supported by an app. As it wasn’t ready for release as of today, I didn’t get to try it so can’t comment on it. @Tony Trietch & @SLDMTN are both using the system and will have a complete review up before August 10th, so they’ll be able to comment more on the system and the app. Hit the Watch button upper right of lead post to subscribe so you don’t miss the review.

***Update 8/3/22*** MagView Digiscoping System Review

Pros
- light and fast
-always on the phone and optic, so always ready
-universal
-S1 Spotting Scope Adapter includes an easy-to-use lens cover
-Didn’t interfere with viewing experience on the optics I used
-Made in the USA!

Cons
-some practice required to eliminate vignette
-the plate on the phone won’t allow me to charge my phone wirelessly
-more expensive than some competitors

You can see more at their website: https://magviewgear.com/products/

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Do the magnets muck with your compass on your phone?
another example of why we post these threads as you guys think of things we don't.
I've ran the magnet concurrently on my phone while using onX and no issues.
BUT, just to be sure, I tried it again and with my Compass app and both were tracking North perfectly.

( @Tony Trietch @SLDMTN this is something to keep an eye on in your testing.)

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
Do the magnets muck with your compass on your phone?

another example of why we post these threads as you guys think of things we don't.
I've ran the magnet concurrently on my phone while using onX and no issues.
BUT, just to be sure, I tried it again and with my Compass app and both were tracking North perfectly.

( @Tony Trietch @SLDMTN this is something to keep an eye on in your testing.)
Pretty sure the magnet is in the eye piece adapter and the plate on the back of the phone is not magnetic...I will look again
** CONFIRMED**
The plate is not magnetic so no interference with compass of navigation apps from plate.

Last edited:
OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Pretty sure the magnet is in the eye piece adapter and the plate on the back of the phone is not magnetic...I will look again
** CONFIRMED**
The plate is not magnetic so no interference with compass of navigation apps from plate.
OK, I didn’t realize that, so my videos a little bit deceiving but it’s still accomplishes the same purpose. Thanks for clarifying that Tony

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
d2b8d2a40194410abd545143449da8ab.jpg

(Swarovski ATS65 w/ iPhone 11)

In short, I’m a fan. Found myself wanting to only digiscope and not even look through the glass the old fashioned way.

Two things I’ve noticed this far:

You can’t use the fitted Swarovski eyepiece cover, I’ll have to find something else to protect that portion.

Some spotting scopes with little to no eye relief may have a hard time getting full field of view with the adapter on while trying to physically look through the glass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hawkman71

Lil-Rokslider
Does your phone have multiple cameras, one for wide-angle and another for zoom shots? Mine does (Goog Pxl 6Pro) and I don't like it that it changes when zooming. I would have to adjust the adapter every time I zoom so the proper camera is positioned properly. (This is an issue no matter what product I use, not a criticism of the digiscoping adapters!)

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Does your phone have multiple cameras, one for wide-angle and another for zoom shots? Mine does (Goog Pxl 6Pro) and I don't like it that it changes when zooming. I would have to adjust the adapter every time I zoom so the proper camera is positioned properly. (This is an issue no matter what product I use, not a criticism of the digiscoping adapters!)
Mine is an iPhone 11 with two lenses. I haven’t had any problem on zooming.

But according to MagView, the app fixes this potential problem when using phones with multiple cameras as it will prevent your phone from switching cameras as you zoom.

The app was just released today in the App Store, so will start fiddling with it and give you guys some feedback

Last edited:

hawkman71

Lil-Rokslider
Yes, the adapter is centered over one of the lenses. If I zoom past 4x on my phone, then the camera switches to a different lens and I'd have to shift the adapter at that point.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, the adapter is centered over one of the lenses. If I zoom past 4x on my phone, then the camera switches to a different lens and I'd have to shift the adapter at that point.
Understood. Let us get some time on the new app. According to MV, this will fix the issue you’re having. @Tony Trietch @SLDMTN not sure if your phone is trying to switch cameras? and if the app fixes it?

I have been looking at these for a few weeks. Not sure if I like the plate blocking the wireless charging. I do use an older meopta spotter that the eyepiece is about the same as my binos. I wonder if the B1 will cover both?

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I have been looking at these for a few weeks. Not sure if I like the plate blocking the wireless charging. I do use an older meopta spotter that the eyepiece is about the same as my binos. I wonder if the B1 will cover both?
I dont think it will work, the B1 needs the left eyepiece of the bino to attach to.

that's why the S1 has the magnet in the flap, so it has something to attach to

the metal plate would have to have a hole in the middle of it for your camera to see through so it could adhere to the B1 ring on a spotter.

prolly not explaining it well, but I'm certain B1 won't go on a spotter...

sndmn11

WKR
It looks like the adapter clamps on tightly. Can it be rotated around the eye cup easily or taken on and off easily for when one rotates their spotter's eyepiece assembly to either side?

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
Mounted the S1 to the Swaro but the B1 will not fit on my Leica Geovids. The eyecup is to large. Was told there will be a larger bino version released soon.

So far the only complaint I have is no more cordless charging of my phone. The plate blocks that but everything else is money. This is a fantastic idea and much simpler than I expected. The Mag View is built well and seems very sturdy. The ability to switch lens will save time and cut some frustration.

I just downloaded the app and will play with it and report back.